Billy H

Season 4 in my saddle

Coming up on 4 hard image.thumb.jpg.fb5f44a0d8bd15ffbec57a4593d7adf4.jpgyears riding this saddle I made for myself. Holding up very well

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Billy

Edited by Billy H

Your horse is adorable, saddle looks very nice.

That looks great. Do you have any photos of it 4 years ago?

Looks like you got a good fit on that horse.  Crossbred horse??  Colored like a Belgian or Haflinger and way too much bone for any saddle horses being bred today.

image.thumb.jpeg.0958b74d96d46898dcfe4631f68639be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98a393e45281f6235e682f280290b519.jpeg

Good eye Big Souix --

Haflinger that actually has withers.   He is my 4 leg Jeep in the mountains 15.2 hands. 

Looks like about 13.2 m-- must be the angle.

Saddle appears to be for trail use only.  Really good looking.

Edited by cowboycolonel

image.thumb.jpg.3dec20ee64e2c1aac74331ad57333f88.jpg

Cowboy colonel not sure what you cowboy off of, but this saddle has been working pretty well for me.

13.2 hands? I might be dragging my heels :)

Thank you for looking   Billy

Edited by Billy H

18 hours ago, Billy H said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0958b74d96d46898dcfe4631f68639be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98a393e45281f6235e682f280290b519.jpeg

Good eye Big Souix --

Haflinger that actually has withers.   He is my 4 leg Jeep in the mountains 15.2 hands. 

I love it. Did you use beaver tail for the bucking rolls?

Naturally I use one of my own make, but I can't keep it near as good looking as yours, although I clean it about once a week and condition it at least once a month.  

The picture of you mounted puts a totally different perspective on the horse.  In fact, when I looked at the original picture, I wondered whether your feet dragged. I'll bet when he sets back on a rope, the steer knows he's sat back on!

So are we looking at four years ago (black and white) vs now (color)?  Comparative photography, or two different current photos?

Ok Billy,

No one asked, but I noticed the swell cover comes down and is part of your rigging plate.  Is this correct?  If so,  does this also go back under the seat jockey and forms the flat plate rigging?  This all looks very clean, just unconventional.

Ron

Horsemint, 

Yes those Buck Rolls are Beaver Tail-- They were made by Master Saddle Maker Cary Schwarz!

He makes a batch of them from time to time. They are first rate and hold up really well.  Billy

Hi Ron,

Most folks don't notice.

Yes the Swell cover and both the  left and right side  front rigging and back rigging are made from two pieces of leather top and bottom that were lamiinated , glued and sewed to make a one piece Flat Plate rigging. Thinking a little outside the box :). Good learning experience.

Thank you for looking . Billy

Edited by Billy H

2 hours ago, Billy H said:

Horsemint, 

Yes those Buck Rolls are Beaver Tail-- They were made by Master Saddle Maker Cary Schwarz!

He makes a batch of them from time to time. They are first rate and hold up really well.  Billy

My first thought when I looked at the buck rolls was "They look like Cary Schwarz beaver tail buck rolls), but I didn't want to ask, lest you feel like I thought you wouldn't be capable of making Cary Schwarz level stuff, if that makes sense.  I bought a pair of beaver tails years ago, and never did use them.  They are a little intimidating to me, to be quite honest.  His look so perfect, it sets a pretty high standard to try to measure up to!  And then there are the one-piece buck rolls with no welt. . . haven't attempted those either.

I noticed the rigging/swell cover also. . . is the leather doubled under the swell cover also, or did you just run the liner as high as needed, to be two thicknesses for the rigging?  It looks like it could be a bugger to get the pattern right, and lots of possibilities for error along the way.  Kudos to you for trying that and getting a good fit!  So many of us get in a rut and don't want or don't think to try anything new or unusual.  I've seen similar somewhere, I just can't remember where.  I have seen really old saddles with the front rigging as part of the swell cover, but never integrated into a flat plate.  The design would sure shed water and dirt/brush/small twigs etc from working their way under front jockeys, since there are none!

What brand of skirting did you use?  Reason I ask is because of a comment made about your saddle looking not-very-used after 4 years of use.  I use both Wickett and Hermann Oak leather, and I know that the Hermann wears better and resists scuffs and scratches better than the Wickett, although the Wickett takes less breaking in, which occasional and weekend riders prefer. I think for stuff that will get daily, hard use, the Hermann will outlast the Wickett.  Both great leathers, just different characteristics that make each well suited for different things.

Big Sioux -- maybe in another 30 years I could come close to Cary Schwarz skills (maybe) LOL.

The saddle is with W C leather.

The picture shows my pattern on top piece -- bottom piece was identical, but I skived down to about 6 oz around the horn and what tucks into hand hold

image.thumb.jpg.692130a91b6fb33fc4fdd983ac971a8d.jpg

1 hour ago, Billy H said:

Big Sioux -- maybe in another 30 years I could come close to Cary Schwarz skills (maybe) LOL.

The saddle is with W C leather.

The picture shows my pattern on top piece -- bottom piece was identical, but I skived down to about 6 oz around the horn and what tucks into hand hold

image.thumb.jpg.692130a91b6fb33fc4fdd983ac971a8d.jpg

I think many of us aspire to Cary Schwarz's skills!  Thank you for sharing.

Pretty impressive - the way you did that.  Guess that will only work on a Wade-type tree.  Never thought of trying that myself, as everything I do (flat plate wise) goes on UNDER the ground seat, and needs to be tacked/glued to the tree at the base of the swells.

Thought I would share my process in creating my pattern for this saddle.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Billy H

Thank you for sharing Billy!  The ones that really scare me are the ones where the fork cover, seat, rigging, and rear housing are all one piece.   There just can't be any room for error on those.  It's a big piece of leather if it gets messed up!  You up for trying that one? I will if you will;)

Billy,

Thanks for sharing your process, though I have no desire to duplicate it. Just out of curiosity, did you square your riggings, then fit the swell cover? I have a hard enough time getting my steps in order, let alone combining a couple of them.

Randy

Awesome stuff Billy! Thanks for sharing! Hope you had a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year! 

Billy,

Did you ever think of carrying your rear part over to the middle of the bars and lacing both sides together in the rear.  Then leave off the rear jockey, and just put a design on the rigging plates in the rear area.  The more I look at your idea, the more I can see it as a way to reduce weight, yet still maintain the integrity and strength of the rigging.

Just thinking outside of the box :rolleyes2:.

Ron

Big Sioux  --  I look forward to what you are able to create!  I have a few conventional saddles projects to do before I tackle a new challenge that will hurt my head.

Randy  --  My theory is,  what you create on the left side should balance to the right side if your tree is even on both sides. I always check the tree before I start putting leather on.  When I put the Swell/Rigging on final I had 2 strings  -- one at center Horn and one center Cantle Back plus laser and ruler  to make sure it was square and true.

Hey Josh ! It was a good Christmas, and will be trying my best to make 2018 better than 2017. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Ron  --  I see all sorts of possibilities, although in the last 1000 years I think that we will not be creating a new wheel. LOL

Thanks to all ,  Billy

What brand tree is that?  I don't see the conventional rawhide covering.  My first thought was a Precision tree w Kevlar covering, or just some kind of resin? Without the rawhide the tree would be much lighter, I'd guess, but still strong? What has been peoples experience with trees sans rawhide, or Precision brand trees? I've made three saddles and thinking the next to be lightweight.  --John

Hi John,. This tree is a  custom built one by "Jon  Watsabaugh ".

He uses some hi-tech mixter to cover the wood and it is strong yet can flex some.

I have not talked to him for a while, but he sure does beautiful work.    Billy

image.jpeg

Edited by Billy H
Add photo

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, Billy H said:

Coming up on 4 hard image.thumb.jpg.fb5f44a0d8bd15ffbec57a4593d7adf4.jpgyears riding this saddle I made for myself. Holding up very well

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Billy

Good looking rig. Appears to be holding up very nice, well done.