I decided to give my husband something handmade for Christmas this year, so of course I thought I'd start an entirely new craft...Here is my first leather project- a custom designed artist case 

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG

Hi Danielle - welcome to the forum!  Nice job for your first project!  Please provide details such as type/weight of leather, thread type, finish used.  Stitching went off in a couple of spots- might help to scribe a line where you are going to stitch to help keep stitches in line.  Look forward to seeing more of your projects!

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Hi Danielle - welcome to the forum!  Nice job for your first project!  Please provide details such as type/weight of leather, thread type, finish used.  Stitching went off in a couple of spots- might help to scribe a line where you are going to stitch to help keep stitches in line.  Look forward to seeing more of your projects!

Gary

Thanks! I'll edit the original post to include more info! 

Yeah, my stitching got a little wonky... i had originally ordered some cheap diamond punches on amazon, but when it came down to it I could not get that sucker to work through both layers- either by user error or just crappy tools... I ended up using my husbands drill press with a 1/16" bit to save time but definitely sacrificed accuracy 

***okay I can't edit the original,  but I used a 5-6oz buffalo culatta in medium brown from Springfield leather company, with some remnant from Joanne craft section for the pen/pencil holders, waxed linen(I think) thread and finished by sanding and burnishing with saddle soap 

Edited by DanielleC
Include more info

Get yourself a nice sewing awl.  Chisels are ok for thin leather, but it is very difficult to punch holes clear through thick leather.  You can use chisels or pricking tool to mark your stitch line, then make the holes with your awl.  Holes will close up after you stitch and will look better!

Outstanding first effort, great design!  That for sure will get a lot of  use.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

YinTx

Excellent design and for first go it is a fine execution... loads of info here about stitching and awls versus irons and scribe versus groove and all stuff like that so read up and experiment and based on your start you will progress quickly and please post as you go.

Great job for your first project 

I really like the idea you used for the pen holders! :)

good job, I really like the color and the snaps.