plinkercases

Cowboy machine dealer in Canada?, Ontario?

Curious if there is a dealer for the Cowboy machines in Canada and ideally Ontario? the web seems to indicate our favourite dealer here is the North American source.

I found a TechSew dealer 1.5 hour drive from me and was hoping to compare to a more locally sourced Cowboy machine - exchange rate, duty, shipping (or driving down to get them)  etc... all being equal considerations...i.e. note necessary.

Edited by plinkercases
spelling as usual

There isn't any Cowboy dealers in Canada but we are just an hr south of Detroit.

I am planning to pick up a machine from Ohio as soon as I can get my passport sorted out. 

What do I need to get it back across the border? (I'm driving, of course, and hoping there won't be any blizzards!)

Bob how does duty and inoort tax etc affect cross boarder shoppers either shipped or pickes up? I am in Troronto and aware you are relatively close but it is all that inter country stuff that can impact over all cost.

I mentioned this to my family when we were together for Christmas, and my brother said there would likely be import duties if i was planning to use the machine for business (i.e. to make money.)

If I can convince them my leather working is just a non-profit hobby (which it currently is, but am hoping to change that!)  I might be able to get it across without paying duty.

Anyway, that was what he told me.

They will charge HST regardless of personal or business use. I am not sure there is a duty on top of that for a sewing machine, you can call CBSA in advance and ask for a clarification. They will likely want you to provide the tariff code (hoping it's called that way). This is the same code I have to pick on Canada Post Electronic shipping tool web site every time I am shipping out of the country. Depending on the code there may or may not be a duty on top of HST. I would call and ask them questions. Explain that you are buying for your personal use, and if they ask why you want an industrial machine, just tell them the truth: that there is no household/consumer grade machine available, which can perform the same type of work. People at the border may or may not be very knowledgeable about importing machinery or tools, but if you have a reference to a prior call that would be helpful. I was once delayed and interrogated for 3 hours because they did not know the law and did not want to admit that. So I would call in advance and clarify all questions.

It's my understanding there is no import duties on items made in China.You just have to pay the GST or so I've been told.We have had quite a few people come down & buy & they never called back about having any problems.

21 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

It's my understanding there is no import duties on items made in China.You just have to pay the GST or so I've been told.We have had quite a few people come down & buy & they never called back about having any problems.

The machine I'm buying is a used Seiko. I imagine the 'no duty'' rule only applies to machines directly imported from the country of manufacture.

42 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Thanks Bob this is what I was hoping to hear. one more silly question... would we pay all you local taxes and our GST or just ours since we are taking out of country?

Okay, if I am out of the country for more than 48 hours, I can claim goods with a value of $800.00, and not pay duty or taxes. I will only pay duty on the portion that exceeds the $800.

If the goods are manufactured in Canada, or covered by NAFTA, duty does not apply.

My understanding: 

Asian manufactured equipment is subject to duties (they are not covered by nafta and there are no free trade agreements with China or Taiwan).  If you are out of Canada for over 48 hours you can be exempt for up to $800 Canadian if you import it personally... as in not for your business.  You should find the tariff code for the machine and country of origin so you know where you stand if the customs officer happens to feel strict when you cross. 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/menu-eng.html

4 hours ago, daveottawa said:

I don't know about Cowboy brand but there's a Leather Machine Co dealer for the Cobra line in Ottawa now. their webpage is:

https://www.leathermachineco.com/

Dave;

I'm sorry to report that the link you provided is to the main company website, in Ontario, California, USA. All prices are in USD, as I expected. If there is a different URL to a Canadian affiliate, please correct your link.

Longview Leather sells Cobra machines in Alberta Canada.  http://www.longviewleather.com/cobra-machines/

Mach 1 by Leighton's, also in Alberta http://www.leightons.ca/catalog-general.html

And you have already found Techsew http://www.techsew.com/

These should give you some price comparisons for various sizes of machines.

Tom

I suspeft shipping from AB to ON may be almost as much as a leisuely drive down tonsee cowboyBob and pay up at the boarder....

Still cuirous if i would pay all the US taxes at point if sale then GST at the boarder... seems unlikely but a factor...

I would assume that taxes are paid locally for products purchased, and so I would charge it at the appropriated rate if personally used. If the products are listed as a business sale then the typical requirement of a business tax # is listed on the sale and kept in records for both present sale and future sales hopefully and so not charged or charged the designated amount for the product. The cross border tax is sure a new one on me and so that home work is time consuming initally. But in the meantime while not knowing or having the typical broker/border paperwork required I again would charge my typical local and State required tax. Not that i can fix all the waste but some of the tax will benefit my old age medical and some infrastructure needed repairs so my pickup truck can keep rollin :bike:

Good day 

Floyd

4 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I suspeft shipping from AB to ON may be almost as much as a leisuely drive down tonsee cowboyBob and pay up at the boarder....

Still cuirous if i would pay all the US taxes at point if sale then GST at the boarder... seems unlikely but a factor...

I had a machine shipped from Montreal to Calgary a few years ago.  $300.  So decided to see what the cost is today for a Techsew 2700.  Shipped from Montreal to a Calgary residential address is $330.  I'd sooner pay the $330 than drive 200-300 miles one way unless I already had a trip or vacation planned nearby.  My time is worth more than that.

Tom

In this case, I have a friend who lives 20 minutes from the guy with the machine, and there's another friend in Detroit who wants a piece of my time too.

I also want the seller to show me how to set up the machine and the ABCs of using it. This will be my first leather sewing machine!

It also happens I am currently unemployed/semi retired. :rolleyes2:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

As, I think it was Sir Laurence Olivier who said it..

M'dear, one does not say that one is "unemployed", one is "resting"..

59 minutes ago, mikesc said:

As, I think it was Sir Laurence Olivier who said it..

M'dear, one does not say that one is "unemployed", one is "resting"..

LOL I like that....."resting". 

21 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Dave;

I'm sorry to report that the link you provided is to the main company website, in Ontario, California, USA. All prices are in USD, as I expected. If there is a different URL to a Canadian affiliate, please correct your link.

Try this link:  https://www.facebook.com/skinnerleather/?timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=890760061&pnref=lhc

Try this link: https://www.facebook.com/skinnerleather/?timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=890760061&pnref=lhc

That link just goes to some artists /graphic designer / leatherworker's ( yours ? ) facebook page..nice work..but no mention of it being a Cowboy machine official dealer..That said , I think that Bob once mentioned he had an official dealer here in France , and when I looked them up they had no website, no business registration number etc just an email address ( not very confidence inspiring considering the cost of the machines )..maybe the simplest thing would be to phone Cowboy..or Neil's Saddlery ( I can never work out who out of those two is the official importer / manufacturer in the USA..of what I think is a "Global" machine ) and ask them who, if anyone, is their official dealer in Canada.

41 minutes ago, daveottawa said:

I see their FB banner has a blurb about Cobra machines and links to Leather Machine Co.

A search shows only a FB page, no website for Skinner Leather.  See also company info https://heycompanies.ca/0617678/Skinner_Leather_-_Ottawa_based_Leather_Worker

Tom

35 minutes ago, Northmount said:

I see their FB banner has a blurb about Cobra machines and links to Leather Machine Co.

A search shows only a FB page, no website for Skinner Leather.  See also company info https://heycompanies.ca/0617678/Skinner_Leather_-_Ottawa_based_Leather_Worker

Tom

I don't know the fellow personally, I just saw that he posted on his Skinner Leather FB page that he is now an authorized dealer for Leather Machine Company. Probably best thing is to send him a message through Facebook enquiring. I'm aware of him only because he is also a member of the 'Tips and Tricks with Cobra Class Leather Working Equipment' FB group.

Edited by daveottawa
additional info.

I bought a 4500 off Bob a few years ago and drove to Toledo to pick it up.I wanted to see the ins ands outs of it and see how it worked.I took it back across the boarder and only had to pay HST.If I had stayed  24 hours they said they could allowed some off.There was no problem at all.I was only stopped maybe 20 min.They were real good to deal with. Bob was great to deal with and I was glad I took the time to go and meet him.