Sheilajeanne

Desktop Stitching Horse

I previously mentioned that I didn't like the conventional stitching horse design, where you were supposed to hold it between your thighs, as that meant I had to back away from my leather working table, and didn't have enough light to see well.

I've been browsing E-Bay, and found there are stitching horses designed specifically for table top use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beech-Leather-Retaining-Clip-Wood-Tools-Sewing-Stitching-Lacing-Treatments-Craft/292328958964?epid=21009401028&hash=item441029ebf4:g:XMIAAOSwldRaCV1e

Sooo, if you're like me, and prefer this design there ya go! (No, I have no link to this seller - this is just FYI.)

Well found.

And I love the description

"which make you have a smooth experience in sewing stitching lacing..... for any other uses requiring that missing third hand."

and the closure mechanism looks interesting and I wonder of there is any spring action built into it...

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I previously mentioned that I didn't like the conventional stitching horse design, where you were supposed to hold it between your thighs, as that meant I had to back away from my leather working table, and didn't have enough light to see well.

I've been browsing E-Bay, and found there are stitching horses designed specifically for table top use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beech-Leather-Retaining-Clip-Wood-Tools-Sewing-Stitching-Lacing-Treatments-Craft/292328958964?epid=21009401028&hash=item441029ebf4:g:XMIAAOSwldRaCV1e

Sooo, if you're like me, and prefer this design there ya go! (No, I have no link to this seller - this is just FYI.)

One could take the conventional stitching pony and clamp the bottom base board to the table top. Wouldn't that work for you? Or does it stick up too high to be useful?

Edited by DJole

Yes, it sticks up way too high. I have shortened it, but that isn't the best way of doing things, as it was designed to be much taller. There is only so much wood I can take off and still have it work the way it is supposed to.

Use a stool, Apple box, lower side table. Anything that suits your comfortable height requirement.

Garage and yard sale discoveries can yield some interesting things, if you go in with our hobby needs in mind.

Chas

I love eBay ads out of China that have a long string of words.... None of which have anything to do with the actual name of the item.

I have one with the same can. It doesn't last. I need to replace mine.

8 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

Use a stool, Apple box, lower side table. Anything that suits your comfortable height requirement.

Garage and yard sale discoveries can yield some interesting things, if you go in with our hobby needs in mind.

Chas

That's good advice.

Thanks Mutt, yes, we must be more aware of our needs, but do it Economically. Haha

So much of what we use in this hobby is way overpriced as it is..

Chas

Edited by ChasCS