PotomacLW

Multi-Colored Saddle Stitch

Greetings all! I have been searching high and low for the proper name and technique for a two colored saddle stitch (Each hand has a different color). The closest I've come to finding it was in this thread by Martyn: Here's the thread. I'm having trouble figuring out how to start a stitch like this, as a knot would be too thick and dying thread is just a recipe for disaster. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated!

candystripe01_zpsnnq0adn8.jpg

Thanks, and happy New Year!

PLW

Edited by PotomacLW

Try this. Thread one needle with each color you want. Then take one needle and Pierce the thread end of one color with the needle of the other color and do the same with the second needle. It should create a bound thread without a knot

Is it not as simple as using white Thread on one needle and black thread on the second needle? When you cross the needles with a saddle stitch there should be one colour Thread showing on every other hole?

But then woe would you do this....

I did this for one project of mine:

PouchBack.JPG

In this case, I just started with a knot. I'm not sure how to begin without it (since backstitching won't work with the pattern.)
I'll be interested to see the solution to this. 

That looks like it's regular saddle stitch done 3 times. Looks painstaking haha. 

I'll try and upload pics of the join I'm thinking of later on when I get home. Unless you get it figured out haha

33 minutes ago, DJole said:

I did this for one project of mine:

PouchBack.JPG

In this case, I just started with a knot. I'm not sure how to begin without it (since backstitching won't work with the pattern.)
I'll be interested to see the solution to this. 

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Looks good!

Your black Thread looks longer than the white...it must be the contrast of your leather and how tight you pulled the thread?

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

That looks like it's regular saddle stitch done 3 times. Looks painstaking haha. 

I'll try and upload pics of the join I'm thinking of later on when I get home. Unless you get it figured out haha

That's just what it is. 

I did this once. Knotted the thread orange on one side black on the other. It was a perimeter stitch so when got all the way around cut the knot and overstitched over the stating point. Got lucky and the colors matched. Lol I did no back stitching. Hope this makes sense. 

3 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Am I the only one thinking a sharpie marker might be the easiest route? pick your color.

2 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Edited by Mjolnir
typo

You can 

6 hours ago, PotomacLW said:

Greetings all! I have been searching high and low for the proper name and technique for a two colored saddle stitch (Each hand has a different color). The closest I've come to finding it was in this thread by Martyn: Here's the thread. I'm having trouble figuring out how to start a stitch like this, as a knot would be too thick and dying thread is just a recipe for disaster. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated!

candystripe01_zpsnnq0adn8.jpg

Thanks, and happy New Year!

PLW

Beginning a stitching project with two colors, is easy. You would follow the same procedure as if you had been sewing, and your thread had broken. To neatly Join two threads in an ordinary knot, now to start sewing, you would make your first stitch in what ever hole you wish, but leave the knot on top of the leather above outside on the thin edge your first stitch, don't try and burry it. Make the first stitch, then begin sewing as usual. You might even do a couple of back stitches and proceed forward. Then you can clip/snip the knot off. Seamless...

Just as with a single thread, we line up our two needles with the thread in the center of the hole, but here, we begin with the knot on top of the center then push both needles through the first hole, leaving our first stitch around the vertical of the first hole, then proceed stitching horizontal as usual. 

It's a smart method of joining two shorter pieces of waxed thread that were left over from a previous project. 

That knot, between two joined strands, has been a concern of many leather workers and other craftsman.

This solution, seems one of the simplest, while saving the integrity of your previous stitches.

I don't see why four colors couldn't be used. ;-)

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

Thanks a lot for all the responses, I'll be trying out both Chas and Stetson's methods once I get back to the shop after the holidays. 

Try chas' method first. Mine was more an idea. It'll work but you still end up with a chunk of thread where they join. And it isn't very strong. You'd have to backstitch. 

Chas' method is the right way to go. Mine would work but needs some refinement and is really best used on thicker leather to hide the join. 

3 hours ago, PotomacLW said:

Thanks a lot for all the responses, I'll be trying out both Chas and Stetson's methods once I get back to the shop after the holidays. 

Hi, yes sure give it a try and see how it progresses. You can practice, by doing a couple of first stitches on two pieces of scrap leather. Tie a couple pieces of thread together, make your first stitch, with the knot above the split. 

Then as you get more comfortable and used to using this particular method, it will become second nature. . .

I know it may be uncomfortable at first, & seem so foreign. But once you've done it a couple of times, it will be much easier.

Chas. 

image.png

Edited by ChasCS

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Try chas' method first. Mine was more an idea. It'll work but you still end up with a chunk of thread where they join. And it isn't very strong. You'd have to backstitch. 

Chas' method is the right way to go. Mine would work but needs some refinement and is really best used on thicker leather to hide the join. 

Certainly there are probably numerous other ways to do this similar stitching pattern, and I am only sharing one way, that two seperate waxed threads can be easily joined for our stitching purposes in this post. 

I hope that you and others here will continue helping me learn from your vast experience and knowledge. 

Chas

I may have to try this. Thanks , Chas.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I may have to try this. Thanks , Chas.

If your thread ever does break, cut the long piece, undo a few back stitches, tie those ends up, and start your sewing over.

Follow the previous diagram I posted above.

Chas

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by ChasCS