Mjolnir

What's Your Handle? (Origins of your maker marks)

There has to be some story's here. I just picked a name. I'm still trying to decide on an actual 'mark'. Mjolnir is the name of Thor's hammer. A former boss used to call me hammer because I was a useful tool, I hated it, but I owned it. It was on my mind when I came to this site and it was an open name so...

I'll play. Alpha2...aka 2A...aka second amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Right behind the first amendment. Freedom of speech, freedom from tyranny. A great start to a Bill Of Rights.  I'm a Federally Licensed Firearm Dealer and an NRA instructor for basic Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun. I also specialize in holsters, gunbelts and such. 

Plinkercases comes from my "company name" Plinker Gunleather and Special Cases. (Plinker in that I started by and continue to primarily to be making holsters for the airgun community) (Special cases in that I also make/made a lot of epipen cases and special belt cases)  and  the avatar is a derivative of an illustration on the cover an HH Heiser catalogue. I have two maker marks... well one maker mark and one "company" stamp.

maker stamp 15pc.jpg

Plinker Leather proof 15pc.jpg

Ok I will play along.   My business is Named Einhorn.  Einhorn is German for Unicorn and as a goal we make unique stuff! 

My screen name is less exciting as that is just my name Ross.

Ross

I was born in a small town in County Offaly. After leaving my home place in 1980, I returned in 2004 to another location in Offaly and built the home where I now live with my own family.

County Offaly is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Midlands Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the ancient Kingdom of Uí Failghe and was formerly known as King's County.

I like to identify as a Western Australian, and I live in Rockingham, which a lot of locals shorten to 'Rocko' and being male, that makes my name an identifier of where I live.

Maker's mark - in the pipeline, but TBA.

Mine isn't really exciting. Biker Mutt=Matt 07 part of my #

Maybe I should change the name. Had to sell my bike this year. The sad thing is, it wasn't that big of a loss. My first business stole my passion for riding. We had a small motorcycle magazine franchise. I rode everywhere for two years. Covering up to 5 events in a weekend.  By the time I sold it, it was just another vehicle without air conditioning.

As far as my makers mark. I designed one I really like. I spent over a 100 dollars to have it made for my small press out of stainless. It took about a month to get. Then I found the face was cut at a slopeing depth across the face and out of square with the post. So, when you stamp it, one side is shallow while the other side is digging in. And the producer of this product has dropped off the face of the planet.

Very disappointed.

Edited by bikermutt07

I want to try Hex N Hit https://youtu.be/U3JDQzETO-g

Stick with Mutt. It works!

Mine comes from something I said towards the end of this video https://vimeo.com/51324376.  A friend approached me and wanted to shot a documentary of sorts on a piece of furniture I was making. 

There was drinking involved for sure, and I said I would be happy if the piece ended up in a museum, and that my name didn't need to attached to it.  The art placard next to it would have the circa date and Maker Unknown.

i liked the sound of it and kept it.

And while not in a permanent collection, the piece did happen to be placed in a temporary exhibit because a curator had watched the video.

I had mine made DARYL BARBEROUSSE at D-Bar leather.

Last email address I used was     dlbarberousse@hotmail.com

site is being revamped but copy right 2017 so still fresh.

http://www.dbarleather.com/linkspage.html

but lots and lots of good custom stamp makers on this forum.

My makers mark looks good in my head however I'm struggling to source any kind of original template or stamp due to it being that unique, old & quirky (Scottish coat of arms)

Basically I've two choices,  either search the web for a non-copyright image to freely use/edit for my laser engraver & do it that way (easiest once I've aquired the image)

or

get a blacksmith or metal worker to design a complete original stamp.

5 minutes ago, Orangeleather said:

get a blacksmith or metal worker to design a complete original stamp.

you are killin' me. I'll design it for free then go find a blacksmith. I went to college for graphic design.

Here are some pics of the stamp. First time to be seen on the open net. I built the image on Adobe CS4.

KIMG0672-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.0c970615ebfce99e5d7d4b1999e39f5a.JPG

In the impression you can see the slope. The left is at the proper depth going to an almost too shallow on the right.

My idea for the stamp is "Leather Nut".

KIMG0543-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.c14a5f38b30cd54d56cad64cfc276fe8.JPG

In this image you can see how the face and back are not parallel. The post is set square to the back face. Rossr and I were discussing how I might be able to fix it. But it will leave at the most a shallow impression.

KIMG0546-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.0c8959fe6c7d829dadadc1bbfd27f02f.JPG

Mine "Sanch" is simple short for Sanchez. The mark I hand drew when I first started it was a quick 2 min sketch seated on the seat of a fork truck at work years ago on graveyard shift.  I was an art major way back then and when I found leatherworking it tied many of my favorite media together per say. So that's the spade my "ace in the sleeve" if you will.  Leather working has remained where my other habits/hobbies have tapered off, except periodic knife making. Here's the mark.  20171230_005310_resized.jpg.066009e82884d2008b398569737c378b.jpg

7 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

you are killin' me. I'll design it for free then go find a blacksmith. I went to college for graphic design.

I designed this mark myself and don’t know if I like it. I had a plastic makers mark made on Leatherworker.net and before I get another makers mark made in brass, I’d love if you’d have a go at altering it to make it better?

Would you mind trying please?

Ger.

kings county leather.pdf

13 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Uí Failghe

I'll bet when you say that, it sounds different than when I read it and try to say it!

Shabang! Leatherworks is what I decided to call my leather 'business'. I considered many alternate names that tied in some other areas of interest; guitars or computers. I'm a computer engineer in my day job and shabang had just enough geek potential to win the day. 

What's a shabang? Well, if you're writing a script (small program) on a unix computer system, the first line will contain the 'shabang'. It is a couple of characters (#!) that essentially tells the operating system how to interpret the script... which shell to run it in. The logo incorporates both the # and the !....  S#abang!

ShabangLeatherworksLogo.jpg.4910c056983326813340e13168d8d3c9.jpg

My leatherworker.net handle, maxdaddy, is simply because I have a son named Max, and well, I'm his daddy.  :-)

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I'll bet when you say that, it sounds different than when I read it and try to say it!

I’ll try to sound it for you...:lol:

Ouu fall geah .  

Well I tried! :P

Thanks! I was right, mine didn't sound like that...

Should have included this above.  The mark I burn is a simple U shape.

_DSF0246.jpg.6f9e489c0942a8e2a286dd4cefda76c8.jpg

And that gets laid down three times to become MU.  MU besides standing for Maker Unknown is also a Buddhist concept for nothingness, no thing, nothing, negative (a simplification) and fits in perfectly with my brand.

5a47cfe6f3fb7_ScreenShot2017-12-30at9_29_56AM.jpg.b09cfa04e0a142771f554ab833933258.jpg

9 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Thanks! I was right, mine didn't sound like that...

Lol

On 30/12/2017 at 3:27 AM, Mjolnir said:

Your generous offer is duly noted & if my own methods fail to materialise then it’s another option thanks.

I did start a thread in the computer section reference acquiring a copyright free digital image catalogue for my laser engraving so it’s another tasking for 2018.

(long story short, military cap badges*, police & fire brigade badges, custom motorcycle and coat of arms images) 

*UK & European to start

Edited by Orangeleather

On 12/30/2017 at 0:15 AM, bikermutt07 said:

My idea for the stamp is "Leather Nut".

In this image you can see how the face and back are not parallel. The post is set square to the back face. Rossr and I were discussing how I might be able to fix it. But it will leave at the most a shallow impression.

I like the design, Mutt, I wish the idiots had cut the stamp right for you. I wonder if you could find someone to even it out?  I know very little about stamp making, but may someday I hope to fabricate one myself.  I was going to look into just getting a structural bolt or something, removing the thread, flattening the head, and figuring out how to carve the image in.   (I imagine that being a lot more difficult than I'm assuming, though)

4 minutes ago, bvc79 said:

I like the design, Mutt, I wish the idiots had cut the stamp right for you. I wonder if you could find someone to even it out?  I know very little about stamp making, but may someday I hope to fabricate one myself.  I was going to look into just getting a structural bolt or something, removing the thread, flattening the head, and figuring out how to carve the image in.   (I imagine that being a lot more difficult than I'm assuming, though)

It would probably cost just as much to start over with a new one.  

As for your idea, it would be costly unless you already have engraving tools.

People that do have them make custom tooling stamps for themselves.

Thanks for the ideas.