Mjolnir

What's Your Handle? (Origins of your maker marks)

23 minutes ago, Orangeleather said:

Your generous offer is duly noted & if my own methods fail to materialise then it’s another option thanks.

I did start a thread in the computer section reference acquiring a copyright free digital image catalogue for my laser engraving so it’s another tasking for 2018.

(long story short, military cap badges*, police & fire brigade badges, custom motorcycle and coat of arms images) 

*UK & European to start

I’ve looked at the thread in the computer section... did you find anything interesting that you could use? I would imagine that there is a very limited amount of images without copyright? I think some people are gifted at that type of work.

I remember paying an artist onetime to design a logo for a carpet store for me, I didn’t like anything she tried but paid her for her time anyway. I probably should have tried a graphic designer like Mjolnir said.

Also, my handle is just my initials, and my driver number for the taxi company I work for.  They don't allow us to have names any more, being cabbie scum, after all.  My maker's mark is still in the design process, as I am incredibly new to this, and I'm trying to keep focused on building my skills before I dare to dream of needing a mark or needing a company name.  

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I’ve looked at the thread in the computer section... did you find anything interesting that you could use? I would imagine that there is a very limited amount of images without copyright? I think some people are gifted at that type of work.

I remember paying an artist onetime to design a logo for a carpet store for me, I didn’t like anything she tried but paid her for her time anyway. I probably should have tried a graphic designer like Mjolnir said.

1 hour ago, bvc79 said:

Also, my handle is just my initials, and my driver number for the taxi company I work for.  They don't allow us to have names any more, being cabbie scum, after all.  My maker's mark is still in the design process, as I am incredibly new to this, and I'm trying to keep focused on building my skills before I dare to dream of needing a mark or needing a company name.  

Since we are heading down the road of designing logos, here are a few thoughts...

You don't need your name in your logo. It is your brand that people will eventually associate with your company. Think Apple and McDonald's. 

You want to try to stay in the 2D world and one color. This makes printing paraphernalia easier. 

The design should be simple. This helps when you enlarge or more importantly shrink down your size. If you have a large difficult design after reducing the size it will become illegible and muddled.

King County Leather, here is just a suggestion for a logo. How about putting that crown inside the shape of your county? You could even fit "KCL" inside the crown.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

12 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Since we are heading down the road of designing logos, here are a few thoughts...

You don't need your name in your logo. It is your brand that people will eventually associate with your company. Think Apple and McDonald's. 

You want to try to stay in the 2D world and one color. This makes printing paraphernalia easier. 

The design should be simple. This helps when you enlarge or more importantly shrink down your size. If you have a large difficult design after reducing the size it will become illegible and muddled.

King County Leather, here is just a suggestion for a logo. How about putting that crown inside the shape of your county? You could even fit "KCL" inside the crown.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

Thanks bikermutt07, 

i dont know why, but every time I try to design something I never like it. I’m actually quite good at drawing, carpentry, and making things with my hands but always someone else’s designs, always a copy. That’s why I think the people who can design new things and create art are naturally gifted and is not learned from scratch.

2 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Thanks bikermutt07, 

i dont know why, but every time I try to design something I never like it. I’m actually quite good at drawing, carpentry, and making things with my hands but always someone else’s designs, always a copy. That’s why I think the people who can design new things and create art are naturally gifted and is not learned from scratch.

My wife is an art teacher and I'm sure she would disagree. We all have at least some creativity buried in us. She is really good at bringing it out in her students.

7 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

To be fair, and having spoken to people within the industry & being realistic in order to achieve such an extensive digital catologue I'm fully aware that my options via copyright free will be limited at best.

I will pay for the right type of catologue if it suits my requirements and fit for purpose, I'm certainly not begrudging others work and willing to aquire it properly, as it will be a long term worthwhile investment so I'm not aiming to skimp and be frugal on the issue.

However, some images are copyright free the catologue size will be limited, I want to aquire the catologue with peace of mind,  however sourcing these images is proving challenging and more than one supplier is highly likely.

if anyone has any pointers or recommendations these are warmly welcomed.

I don't have a maker's mark yet.  Just a brand, if that. The name of my Etsy store is  A Sturdy Stick.  While I like the name and the initials are an accurate description of the owner they don't work well for a logo.

While some of my canes could take a stamp others would be difficult.

No business name here

Way back about 20 years ago I moved to NH (GA Now ) and bought a Snowmobile (Sled)

Iand went online to learn all I could. I needed a name and married it to my favorite band Led Zeppelin.

For whatever reason I had to add the 01 at the end so... SledZep01.

Now I have Sled and Led wherever I go.

If you see that name elsewhere, it's me.

Sled

I don’t have a makers mark or a logo yet.   Still trying to come up with a name.   

I have been leaning towards rusty nuts leather, or something of the sorts.  When I build something out of metal it always seems to covered in rust.  It is either cause I have had that piece of metal for 10 or 15 years, or I am to cheep to buy a stick for 5 or 6 feet.  And I am always fighting rust on my tools, shop not sealed off very good.  And it kinda fits my style classy rustic if I had to call it something.  

I have been thinking of a name and artwork for months so I can get stamps made and Facebook page etc, to try to get a little more out there than just word of mouth from friends and family

Kitten_Thrasher is one of a couple of my online handles, it was created years ago during a party on a beach, it has no meaning and kittens are usually safe with me unless i'm thinking of making some nice soft gloves, small ones.

The avatar was created by my daughter, she did 'surgery' on Barbie then photoshopped real eyes into the picture, she was 9 years old at the time, her mother was less impressed than I was. 'been using it ever since, the original is quite disturbing, lots of blood spatter, gore and a razor blade. Nice.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

I don't have a maker's mark yet.  Just a brand, if that. The name of my Etsy store is  A Sturdy Stick.  While I like the name and the initials are an accurate description of the owner they don't work well for a logo.

While some of my canes could take a stamp others would be difficult.

It may be bold but an outline form of a three 'legged' man. subtle image with the 'Oh! I get it'!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, Orangeleather said:

To be fair, and having spoken to people within the industry & being realistic in order to achieve such an extensive digital catologue I'm fully aware that my options via copyright free will be limited at best.

I will pay for the right type of catologue if it suits my requirements and fit for purpose, I'm certainly not begrudging others work and willing to aquire it properly, as it will be a long term worthwhile investment so I'm not aiming to skimp and be frugal on the issue.

However, some images are copyright free the catologue size will be limited, I want to aquire the catologue with peace of mind,  however sourcing these images is proving challenging and more than one supplier is highly likely.

if anyone has any pointers or recommendations these are warmly welcomed.

my best suggestion is to advertise at a local college that has a graphic design program. There is always one kid that has talent. pay them what you think is fair, they will accept. While I was in college I did a logo for a restaurant ( does any one else hate spelling restaurant!) $300 bucks. rendered in photoshop. A catfish in a rocking chair was the image.

Well, heck, now I want to see a catfish in a rocker!!! Help a brother out here!

I'll cruise by tomorrow. The image is on an old computer. But Ellie's Catfish Café is down the street:)

whoa! I just ate, and now I'm hungry again! Ellie sounds like gal that knows her way around catfish!

2 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

whoa! I just ate, and now I'm hungry again! Ellie sounds like gal that knows her way around catfish!

LMBO! Ellie was a golden retriever :) Best catfish and hushpuppies in town!

As a hobbyist with no plans to go commercial, I don't have or need a maker's mark.  My screen name is just an apt descriptor of me. 

An apt descriptor of a few of us...

2 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

An apt descriptor of a few of us...

:yeah:

Hey..I resemble that remark ..

9 hours ago, olfart said:

As a hobbyist with no plans to go commercial, I don't have or need a maker's mark.  My screen name is just an apt descriptor of me. 

If I may Olfart, 

I have been in leather work and woodcarving in one form or another for the last 30 years, as a "hobbyist" also. I started signing my work years ago after a fellow woodcarver pointed out that the items that I "made" as gifts for family and friends, were my legacy of sorts. I know that might sound presumptuous. But if you think about it, most people (especially family) appreciate your work (deserved or not in my case!). I believe my friend was correct. Signing and dating gives your work relevance. 

Besides, how many artists and craftspersons over the decades have become famous posthumously?  Just my 2 cents. 

"Besides, how many artists and craftspersons over the decades have become famous posthumously?  Just my 2 cents."

That's what I'm holding out for!

23 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

my best suggestion is to advertise at a local college that has a graphic design program. There is always one kid that has talent. pay them what you think is fair, they will accept. While I was in college I did a logo for a restaurant ( does any one else hate spelling restaurant!) $300 bucks. rendered in photoshop. A catfish in a rocking chair was the image.

Thanks for the advice,  just out of curiousity what's the situation from the leathercrafters viewpoint towards 'copyright or ownership' of an individual handle.

As my work is a combination of certain small accessories and periodically bespoke 'one off items' made to order only.

Thanks for the advice, just out of curiousity what's the situation from the leathercrafters viewpoint towards 'copyright or ownership' of an individual handle.

Depends, if "the handle" is / was already being used by another leatherworker, ethics and decency , not to mention courtesy would say that one could not use another's "handle".

Also ,if "the handle" or "logo" or "brand" or "makers mark" or name , is / was already being used by another leatherworker or business or company etc or in conjunction with leather items, using it would be illegal..not just abuse of copyright, but also in many countries would be criminal ( in the UK for example it would be considered amongst other things as "passing off" ) the various laws that it would be breaking depend on the countries and most "names" are valid EU wide ( meaning you can't use* in one country a name that has been registered ( prior to your use ) in another country for a similar business )..It is similar legislation to that relating to "trademarks".

From a practical point of view, if anyone is considering eventually using a "name" for a business, it make sense to see if it is available in their own country and not already in use fro a similar business..for example ..you could be "orangeleather" and "orange leather garage" could not say anything, but "orange leather bags" could very easily prevent you doing so. Worth thinking about too ( in the case of someone in the UK** )is .."is the dot com" of your name available ? and the .co.uk and the .uk ( and maybe the .net ) and the ( at least until brexit happens in 2019 ) the .eu..Most people type the dot com , and even for those who do not, the dot com and the .co.uk and the .uk say "credible business" <= people will take out their credit card and order..whereas orangeleather.biz ..they are less likely to do so.

Graphics, something many people forget when designing a "logo" or "mark"..is KISS..make it too "wordy" ..and most will either not bother reading it, or they won't remember it, you'll be "the place where we bought the leather "thing", can't remember their name, you know, wossname" ( "wossname" is already registered ) ..make the name and the logo or mark something that they will remember ( don't ask friends and / or family what they think of your ideas, they'll say what they think you want to hear )..ideally you should choose a logo or a mark that does not require words, because some customers don't read so well, some customers maybe don't have English*** as a first language.

Very simple example.."orangeleather"..use the leather symbol ( because it says "leather" in most languages ) , just that..make it orange rather than brown or beige..or use it "orange" inside it write "orange leather", on two lines and in a simple typeface..I can think of other "riffs" on the same idea, some of them better, one in particular, but, as I used to say to my students ( I taught graphics and life drawing, sculpture, design and other things at artschool / university for a time, a long time ago ) " thinking is good for you".." and " businesses pay a great deal of money to have logos designed for them, I know , I've designed some that paid me very very well, so, I'll prime the ideas pump for you, but I won't do the work, nor give away the best ideas, not for less than 5 figures in front of the decimal, in cash"..

Something that signwriters ( many of the old school ones were / are far better graphic designers than many "designers" ) know too, make it so it is "readable" and "understandable" and "sticks in your mind" if it is written on the side of a truck going the other way at 50mph..think MS ( with all the variants upon windows logo down the years ), think Mickey D, think Coke and Pepsi ( similar but distinct ) or the double C of Chanel of the interlinking letters of YSL..

Those ( and many others ) "work"..and then think of some of the worst examples of the joss-sticks and whalesong "designer logos"..such as the UK Olympics logo in 2012

Some background to "logo" design..( note who owns ca.com..probably not who you'd think at first guess)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo

If you want to see some real "horrors" type
"bad logo design"
into a search engine..( the UK Olympics 2012 one is probably up there in the all time top 10 bad designs ) plenty of articles about what not to do..and why not.

One last thing..leatherwork is a "craft", so it is natural to want to include imagery that says "craft"..but, bear in mind that we know what a swivel knife is , but most people buying leather items have no idea what is "that weird stick like thing with a sickle curve on one end"..especially when it is really small like on a makers mark..whereas an outline of a saddle, with a name, will work for anyone from Delaware to Darwin passing through Vladivostok and Tokyo.

HTH :-)

*there are exceptions , but don't count on them, finding that you do not fall into the "can use" can be expensive ..most registered business will fight for "damages"..losing to them could break you for years to come.

**same kind of thing applies to those in other countries, if you are in the USA, better if you can get the dot com and the dot net and the dot us.

*** Even in your own country, you may have potential customers whose first language is not the same as your first language..words can be far more of a barrier to communication ( and sales ) than well thought out images.

Edited by mikesc

My handle here is "sheathmaker", and is a natural because I specialize in custom knife sheaths.  I have few professionally made maker's marks, but My daughter-in-law made the beautiful piece shown below that I use on my table at shows which is an exact representation of my maker's mark.

Paul

100_2805.jpg