My second attempt on this item. On the first one I used a Seiwa chisel and 0.8mm thread, but I am more pleased with the stitching on this one. I used a 9 SPI pricking iron and 0.6 mm thread. I have borrowed the pattern from Kinnari leather, and he makes it in this video. I did not have the measurements, but used an old coaster I had as a template.

The outer leather is veg tanned 2mm, dyed brown. I'm not too happy with the result, and I struggle to get an even coat of color using cotton dobs. Inner leather is calf skin from A & A Crack, pre dyed whiskey color. I stamped my logo on it to make it a bit more personal. Stamping is a gamble for me at the moment. I only use a screw vice to press my brass stamp to the leather, so I have no control over pressure/force.

I am overall satisfied with the stitching and edges. It may had looked a bit cleaner with colored egdes, instead of burnished ones.

Happy to hear any feedback and where I can improve. Also, since this is for putting cups and glasses on it, should I treat it with something else than leather balm?

IMG_0749.thumb.jpg.8c927aab614743ddb1b8ef30757e9fd9.jpgIMG_0746.thumb.jpg.615856b45982045c83a85080a906e023.jpgIMG_0748.thumb.jpg.1d312044c1635f36dbc5e987d3b05c54.jpgIMG_0744.thumb.jpg.135a76243e7b6b943d28264b76e9cef5.jpgIMG_0745.jpg.b15c00681e1446ea5fbc05ac926e91cb.jpg

Edited by filipblaauw

I may be wrong on which is the first and second attempts, but I like the first one. Thread size to stitch and hole size seems better. Remember, smooth surfaces on coasters cause the coaster to follow the glass up as it is picked up. I learned this the hard way. You want some texture at the outline of the glass, or the moisture will cause a suction effect when the glass is lifted. For instance, this didn't work.

smallcoaster.jpg

Looked great, didn't work, glass pulled up the coaster. Due to the seal between the coaster and the glass. A little texture there would have solved the issue.

Thanks for good advice on texture. I forgot to specify that I did not take pictures of my first attemt. All pictures are of the second one.

Nicely done! I really like your stitching.