My first attempt at a roll top bag I made it to carry my DJI Mavic drone, I learned a lot making this the most time consuming parts were the small parts.  I need a sewing machine hand stitching is just to much for bigger projects.

20171230_173154_resized.jpg

Nice bag. What kind of leather did you use?

26 minutes ago, JD62 said:

Nice bag. What kind of leather did you use?

Rustic Hiker from Acadia it's one of my favorite pull ups just the way it brakes in looks really good Thank You

These are the hard shell cases for my drone, this is what I made the bag for. It's also lined with green flannel.

20171230_194152_resized.jpg

Very neat..the lining is a nice touch..

I need a sewing machine hand stitching is just to much for bigger projects.

's funny..I know a guy here who makes bagpipes, he uses a walking foot machine to pierce the stitching holes all the way around the sac part that you squeeze..and then he goes back and stitches it all by hand..

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Very neat..the lining is a nice touch..

's funny..I know a guy here who makes bagpipes, he uses a walking foot machine to pierce the stitching holes all the way around the sac part that you squeeze..and then he goes back and stitches it all by hand..

I guess thats a good idea makes for a stronger stitch.

Great looking bag!  I like the flannel lining too.

He said to me the reason was that the seam line ( on the "bag" part of bagpipes ) is curved all the way from beginning to end, and that pricking irons etc are straight so he couldn't use them to make the holes ( if you see what I mean ) and if he did the holes one by one ( say with an awl ) it would take longer and the holes would not be so regularly spaced..so he has an old Pfaff walking foot ( I cant remember the number ), with an ( IMO ) highly dangerous motor ( not a clutch, nor a servo, it is a thing that runs at full speed and is "braked" by a piece of plywood rubbing against the shaft at the opposite end from the machine pulley..so it is straining when it starts and putting your foot on the pedal releases the plywood brake shoe a bit and the Pfaff whirs into motion..I have similar motor that I took off a Singer 20U..

Reason for hi-jacking your thread somewhat there ( my apologies ) is to say that if you do come across a walking foot machine with a bad motor, you could always hand wheel it to make holes..( he had to do that while his motor burned was being repaired after it burned out a year ago ) might save some wear and tear on the hands ?..or you could treadle mount a walking foot machine..a few people here have done that and posted images of the machines set up on treadles and how tos about their methods for the conversion..

Edited by mikesc

27 minutes ago, mikesc said:

He said to me the reason was that the seam line ( on the "bag" part of bagpipes ) is curved all the way from beginning to end, and that pricking irons etc are straight so he couldn't use them to make the holes ( if you see what I mean ) and if he did the holes one by one ( say with an awl ) it would take longer and the holes would not be so regularly spaced..so he has an old Pfaff walking foot ( I cant remember the number ), with an ( IMO ) highly dangerous motor ( not a clutch, nor a servo, it is a thing that runs at full speed and is "braked" by a piece of plywood rubbing against the shaft at the opposite end from the machine pulley..so it is straining when it starts and putting your foot on the pedal releases the plywood brake shoe a bit and the Pfaff whirs into motion..I have similar motor that I took off a Singer 20U..

Reason for hi-jacking your thread somewhat there ( my apologies ) is to say that if you do come across a walking foot machine with a bad motor, you could always hand wheel it to make holes..( he had to do that while his motor burned was being repaired after it burned out a year ago ) might save some wear and tear on the hands ?..or you could treadle mount a walking foot machine..a few people here have done that and posted images of the machines set up on treadles and how tos about their methods for the conversion..

That is a good idea thanks for the info I love this forum always learn new things and thats what i am here for.

Love that leather. I keep thinking I'm going to buy something from Arcadia, but I have a lot of stuff laying around already. So, I never get around to making an order.

Edited by bikermutt07

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Love that leather. I keep thinking I'm going to buy something from Arcadia, but I have a lot of stuff laying around already. So, I never get around to making an order.

If you ever are going to buy some I would do it soon they have a whole section under new year sale for 35% off. And shipping in the USA is always free. I just ordered some leather I only buy it when they run sales witch is almost every week. You need to follow there instgram they always have great specials.

Great looking bag 

7 minutes ago, Fire88 said:

Great looking bag 

Thank you I have a lot to learn but it's a fun a process and a expensive one.

Thanks, and it is an expensive habit.