Brianm77

Improve image

Hello guys,

i am looking to improve my image a little with customers.   The first thing I would like to do is get some boxes that are a little nicer than just sticking them in a padded shipping envelope.   I have dine a little looking online but have only seen custom orders or boxes that are $3-5 a piece.   It is hard to add that much to a wallet or money clip just for a box.   I would like to hear about sources or ideas that you guys (and girls) might have.

thanks,

brian

Depends if you are talking about "shipping boxes" ( ie the mailperson sees/ handles the box, this is an alternative to shipping in padded envelopes )..or display boxes ( gift boxes )..if shipping boxes then $3 to $5 is a lot ..unless in the USA these things are much more expensive than here in Europe ?..Example ( for a shipping box in white carton , looks OK and is solid, that would fit a man's folding wallet ) I pay ( with Raja ) around $0.50 per unit ( inc tax ) for an order of 100 units ..delivery extra..delivery would be another 5cts per unit if the delivery cost is broken down..if I put the item into a high quality plastic bag ( zip lock or glassine type )..I can get them for $0.01 per bag ..if I want to add a sheet of silky type wrapping tissue, the price per sheet ( around 18" x 24" is about the same as for the bag )..If the outer box is of the Amazon ( fold over ) type that they ship books in..price is about $0.70 per box in white..add a few gold foil stickers with the company name on..and less than $1.00 for packaging before postage.

I actually ship everything in a much more fancy packaging than that ( think velvet or silk draw string bags with embroidered logo..and embroidered customers initials ) or soft leather bag with embroidered logo and embroidered customers initials..then that goes into the silky type wrapping tissue which goes into the white or black or red box ( black or red cost me more, they are custom ) which again has the logo..this then goes into waterproof un-rippable opaque outer plastic bag..whole packaging still costs less than $5.00 per item ( even for larger items that need a box that is 12" x 15" or 15" x 24" ) before postage.

Postage and packing ( against signature with tracking ) is included in the price of whatever the customer purchases ..so they pay what the item price says..no surprises..opening their item should feel like a really enjoyable event to the customer..the kind of thing that some of them would want to maybe film and make an "unboxing" to upload somewhere..

You don't want to think of it from the "improve my image" point of view..you want to be thinking of it from the "how to make my customer, or the person who opens something that was ordered as a gift, feel really special"..Every sense should be played to..sight, sound, touch, smell...taste if applicable ( for those selling S&M ;) )..Make them enjoy the unwrapping and the item, they'll be back for more, and they'll sing your praises to others..

HTH :-)

ps..I forgot the silky type ribbons an bows around stuff, or in some cases leather strips around and tied in bows..people ( especially women ) love undoing bows..this is why drawstring pouches are successful ..my wife has ( amongst others ) two draw string leather handbags, Vuittons..genuine originals and another one whose maker name I forget, might be Hermes ..cost as much each as a good second hand car..loves them..and yet the design is the "throw it all in there and can't find a thing" drawstring leather bucket type..We used to live right next to the Hermes boutique in Cannes, you walk in there and they made you feel like you were the most special person in the world..they all sell the "sizzle"..the actual cost of the raw leather and materials ( "the steak" ) is so tiny compared to the final price of the item, but you are buying "the package", "the experience", "the cachet"..and also the fact that they are Veblen..which in a place like Cannes, if you are in some businesses, is almost mandatory..iphones and apple gear are the same..the wrapping / experience is the sugar that helps the medicine ( the price ) go down in the most delightful way ..

my apologies for the ear worm....sing it Julie ;-)

pps..I'd also suggest that you look at aliexpress, the Chinese excel at luxury packaging, and will often ship free in smallish quantities ( around 100 to 500 units )..

Edited by mikesc

I bought some boxes from midatlanticpackaging.com they were good to work with. I had to buy 100 but they were around $0.50 each. I took them to a local print shop and had my logo put on top for another $1.00 each. They only had boxes to fit my wallets and small things but they are sturdy enough to mail. Just put a label on the bottom and wrap it once with shipping tape. 

I have a couple of retailers that sell my work. The boxes sure did get more attention in the retail space. 

I am looking for boxes large enough for portfolios and other items. 

Well currently everything I make is small, wallet or smaller.  And it all goes in a clear bubble envelope then into a padded shipping envelope.  That was an attempt early on at marking my first projects seem like something for very cheap.   Now I was thinking of fancying up the inner package.

I am kinda a simple guy and after some brainstorming I keep going to a nice craft paper type box, maybe even a sliding box.  And I thought of maybe getting a rubber stamp with a logo on it.  I could stamp the box to make it look like I had them done.    I do like the idea of a draw string bag.  I saw some small burlap type drawstring bags on stuff I have gotten and they would probably take the same stamp.   I am ok with the shipping package being what ever but I would like to spruce up the inside.  

24 minutes ago, chapelstone said:

I bought some boxes from midatlanticpackaging.com they were good to work with. I had to buy 100 but they were around $0.50 each. I took them to a local print shop and had my logo put on top for another $1.00 each. They only had boxes to fit my wallets and small things but they are sturdy enough to mail. Just put a label on the bottom and wrap it once with shipping tape. 

I have a couple of retailers that sell my work. The boxes sure did get more attention in the retail space. 

I will have to check them out.  That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. 

19 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

We emboss lots of  sizes of leather pouches as packaging for a few customers.   From jewelers to pipe makers, pricing is from just a couple bucks for small pouches in assorted colors to $8 for larger pouches in a single color premium leather.

I will keep that in mind for the future.   But for now I was trying to keep the cost a little lower.  What is your minimum order on say a 4” x4” pouch if I left off the embossing?

where does one go to get the velvety drawstring bags?

1 hour ago, chapelstone said:

I checked out midatlantic and they have some double wine boxes that might fit the bill for a padfolio...

Brian ..Velvet draw string bags..we make our own.. if you are hand sewing your wallets, you do not want to be hand sewing draw string bags..But they can be sewn on any cheap domestic sewing machine..so you can make your own..the embroidery part ? ask at your local custom embroidery tee-shirt shop how much to make you a hundred ( like anything vaguely printing related , the initial "set-up" costs a bit ,but after that the unit cost is so cheap that you don't count it ) I pay $0.50cts per embroidery for a logo in a single colour ..logo size is about 2" x 2" at that price, we have some that are larger, or have more colours )..give them the velvet flat ..then sew it afterwards on the machine..add the draw string..

Voila .."luxury !!"

..and you can increase the price of your basic item by far more than the cost of the bag and the embroidery and the boxes.. ;-)

That is a good idea, but I am a small time job.  Leather is the side gig, I sure don’t have a sewing machine.  

I done some looking and there are some on eBay and Amazon that would be feasible if they are diecent enough quality

mainly looking for something I can purchase cheep enough.  All of my sales are on the internet right now so the packaging does not help sell the product, but I would like to improve the experience of the customer receiving it. 

Aliexpress looks promising, I will have to look when I get some more time. 

ULINE has a lot of different packing materials in their catalog.

They are also online. I just ordered some shipping boxes from them, and I should have ordered some tissue paper in colors, too. Next time.

I agree with alpha2 about Uline.  I buy cartons in many sizes from Uline as well as from another local Atlanta supplier.  It pays to shop around in your local area.  Do a Google search for packaging or carton suppliers in your area.  

Hi Brian

My tip is to use a box that will bring the leather goods to your customer in a  safe way. If you want to add value to the experience of the unpacking and first impression: Make a nice tag.

It is a lot cheaper than custom boxes, and add a lot of quality for a small cost.

I make bags and have two tags in form of custom made postcards. Small items can be taged with business cards. One can tell a long story with a picture and some text.

IMGP2381.jpg

That is something to consider.  If you don’t mind my asking where did you get those made. And how much does something like that cost?

Great to hear

I use moo.com

They have really good paper options. And if you upload your own pics you can order 100 cards with 100 different pictures. One on each card:) This makes it possible to make very small batches for special products.

I use mini cards:

https://www.moo.com/eu/products/minicards.html

And post cards:

https://www.moo.com/eu/products/postcards.html

A tag of some sort is a great idea.  Depending on what you make, another nice option could be a simple fabric presentation bag made of flannel, satin, or cotton - whatever suits your product - can be nice.  They cost little, can be put together in minutes, and provide a little bit of protection for your product in the shipping box.  It gives the customer the idea that you've taken that extra care for the product you've made for them.

- Bill