BrownChicken

Pfaff 1297 vs. 1295? Post bed

So I am possibly going to be trading in my pfaff 1245 flat bed for a 1297 post bed because I'm really wanting something I don't have to smoosh bags under. I'm confused though because I can only find a part list in German for the 1297. I've found a German manual for the 1295 like Uwe had and sold ... but I still don't understand the differences. It looks like the foot lift is 14mm on the 1295 so I'm guessing it's the same for the 1297?

i just don't want to buy something that has parts so rare I'm out of a machine if something happens. Already I hate the pfaff line to begin with because parts are sooooo much more expensive than say juki or consew! But beggars can't be choosers on Craigslist with limited post beds for sale.

thank you for the time I've been trying to figure this out for a while now 

It just dawned on me the 1295 uwe has a video of is what I believe is called a compound feed machine where the needle feeds and the 1297 I'm looking at does not have a needle feed - just the rear foot walks needle only goes up and down. I wonder if the 1297 is a lighter weight machine? 

IMG_2504.PNG

IMG_2505.JPG

This pictured machine has dual feed (outside foot and feed dog). It is meant for sewing cloth or webbing, not leather.

Just now, Wizcrafts said:

This pictured machine has dual feed (outside foot and feed dog). It is meant for sewing cloth or webbing, not leather.

Thank you! Somehow I bypassed the photo of the feed while browsing and had been so tied up into looking up the manual and other info I failed to just simply look at the machine photos LOL I looked again after posting and saw it was obviously not the same :( that's a bummer. It was listed at $1300 I was ready to pay their asking or see if they wanted to have my pfaff 1245 + some cash.... but not anymore! It would have been a 2 hour drive to realize it wasn't a needle feed machine oops

Do you think I'll ever find a compound feed post bed used around that same price? :unsure:  bummed!

Uwe had a Pfaff compound feed walking foot post machine for sale last year. You might want to ask him if he still has it. Otherwise, post a WTB in our used sewing machines section of the Marketplace.

The Pfaff 1295 referenced earlier sold shortly after that video was posted.

In my experience, used walking foot post bed machines in good condition are rare and not cheap.

New walking foot post bed clones like the Techsew 860 run close to $3K new. New OEM machines from brands like Juki, Durkopp Adler, or Pfaff are easily twice that. 

You'd only need one hand to count the walking foot post bed machines that have popped up on CL in the Detroit area over the past few years. The last one I remember was a Pfaff 1296 for over $4K.

Without knowing where @BrownChicken is located, it's hard to make meaningful recommendations for used machinery.

I do have several post bed machines, but not all of them are walking foot designs. The only walking foot post bed I'd consider letting go for $1,300 is a Durkopp Adler 168 (once I put it back together.) My two Durkopp Adler 268's (one single, one double needle) are nearly pristine and worth considerably more. 

Many folks making bags manage fine using a suitable walking foot cylinder arm machine, which are generally more plentiful in supply and cheaper than the post bed versions. The cost difference is partially due to manufacturing complexity and production volumes.

I lucked out and found this nice super clean PFAFF 1295 at a local factory where it was used to sew leather mukluks and mocassins, I  couldn't pay them fast enough to take it home! $1300 cdn or just over $1k usd. B)

Its pretty sweet and once I get a new servo installed with needle positioning it will be awesome along side my other machines in either of my sewing spaces! :)

Just plain crazy for machines!

Gerald

1295.JPG.5b8f173adb244b45b1a33bd2b4d4989b.JPG

studio3.JPG.3f30a0bf199624d7bd674fe715e7cb32.JPG

studio4.JPG.f8ea351a0bef0a59a55f7ba7a0d344b7.JPG

On 1/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, Uwe said:

Without knowing where @BrownChicken is located, it's hard to make meaningful recommendations for used machinery.

His IP address places him/her in Oceanside CA

@BrownChicken I would recommend to all members that they include their location in their profile so they can get information that is related to the area they live in.  Might even find a neighbour that has answers for you or could help help teach you, or solve a problem for you.

Tom