dhaverstick

Made this shooting bag for a friend

My good friend, John Pruitt, made a couple traditional muzzleloader rifles for my dad and me and asked me to make him a shooting bag as payment. I finally finished it yesterday. What is really special about this piece is that the body of the bag is made from the hide off the moose I killed with my longbow in 2015. The light brown dotted leather is ostrich hide and the colored leather is ostrich leg skin. The trim and fringe are deer hide and I carved the buttons out of the antlers off a buck I killed with my longbow. Everything was sewn by hand using artificial sinew. The bag has one external pocket and two internal pockets. I hope he likes it!

Darren

QRLdTeY.jpg
7i5L9IY.jpg
EPEopgw.jpg
sKp855n.jpg
xxpuRIt.jpg
6PiHAXT.jpg

Sweet! 

You tan the hide? Or send out? Just curious

That's amazing! 

Between it being an awesome bag in it's own right and the personal connection of the antler and moose hide I'm sure he'll love it.

Great looking bag!

Beautiful work!  I like the rifles as well - LH flintlock and mule hammer sidelock - don't see that many of either styles around much!  

Gary

Awesome work. Is the moose strap a single piece or folded over for more strength? 

Man, that is an awesome piece of work! That stitching and lacework is insane.

That is some magnificent work! Those are very nice rifles too. I'd be proud to carry any of them( I'm strictly pre 1840).

Very nice! Where might one find info on the lacing applique and different stitching you did?

How could he not love it? That is awesome.

Awesome, he is going to get asked 1000 times where he got that!  

YinTx

Wow! That looks great- you really put a lot of thought into that. I really like the mix of different leathers-, the textures and colors really make it pop.

I can't fathom why he wouldn't love it- and if he doesn't- check his pulse!

Nice rifles too.

After looking closer I don't think the trim around the inlays was laced was it? How did you do that! Again, remarkable work. 

Thanks, everyone! Kulafarmer, I killed that moose about 70 miles north of Edmonton, AB. The guide and I skinned it out in the bush and took it to a tannery in Edmonton which, oddly enough, sent it to someplace in Ontario to actually tan it. From the time I turned the hide in to the time I received my leather took about a year. What amazed me about the whole deal was the price; only $7 a square foot! The hide those rifles are laying on is the finished product and I think I ended up with a little over 30 square feet of 5 ounce leather.

What I do to outline the colored pieces is glue down 1/8" leather lace around the perimeter and then sew it down with a single thread of artificial sinew using an "X" stitch.

Darren

Awesome. Thanks!