howlback

Stamping causing leather to misshape

I've been stamping leather coasters out of 8-9oz leather and every once and awhile one of the coasters comes out misshapen (looks oval). I've made dozens and so far it's only happened twice but I was wondering if there was something I could do to prevent it.

To prevent this, I glue the leather with rubber cement to thin rigid vinyl before I case and stamp.  It is not uncommon for leather to misshape.  

Like jay Mack said you can glue em down with rubber cement or put painters tape on the backside before casing

I always use rubber cement to glue any leather down before tooling unless it is a belt or something similar. I learned as you did by noticing misshapen rounds when tooling them before I was instructed to glue them down before casing or tooling. :rolleyes2:

use shelving paper mack tack on the back side, or painters tape. that way I can still move the piece around on  the slab

I use Buzzardbaits' method whenever stamping or tooling. I use 2 mil packing tape and cover the back with a little hanging over the edges so it's easy to peel off when done. It also helps with not getting dye on the back of a project if you want it clean/undyed.

I use the sticky peel off shelf liner on the back of my project to help it keeps its shape.  I've tried painters tape too.