ke6cvh

Singer model 6-19

Hello Group,  Thumbnails is all I could get and it posted before I could type.  There is a potential seller of this Singer 6-19.  At first I thought after reading ISMACS it was fixed stitch length but saw a picture with a variable stitch length control so it appears same as others in the class.  ISMACS has it as a book binding machine but others in the class are a harness machine which is what I'm looking for.  This variant has ISMACS listing a 6x15 needle and the only one and states it is a drill first machine which made me wonder if it is some version of a needle and awl?  My pretty un-educated guess on leather machines is that I can reset needle bar height and use a 7 class needle such as a 7x1, 7x2, 7x3 and maybe even a 214x2 needle?  Anyone know anything about these machines and willing to enlighten me please let me know.  I'm waiting for confirmation of willingness to sell and price.  Best regards, Mike

That looks like an interesting machine.  In its current setup it appears to be missing the "drill" attachment?  Plus when they say drill, I think the actually meant drill rather than needle and awl.  If it was a good deal and worked I bet it could be handy, however I have found it better to leave "book-machines alone unless your actually making books.

5a4cf64754232_Singer6-19.jpg.ea76c7394fcd7e51fbfe19868eb4f1d4.jpg

Hi thanks for the response.  Yes, the 6-19 is for books but there are others in the same class made for heavy work in leather, canvas, and paper according to the general class description.  I'm waiting for an answer but my experience buying machines here (Philippines) is that the agent who helps me is amazing and gets amazing deals for me.  I get machines at prices that just aren't quite right at times.  For example we have an assortment of double needles some from USA and others local.  I got our two Juki 3168 split bar double needle machines with table and servo motors at about 400-500 dollars each and even less for the fixed bar 3128.  On the other hand the 112w's we only bought from USA.  I'm betting on a crazy good deal and will find out tomorrow.  I see that in the description for the 7 class machine on ISMACS when it describes the shuttle it states "not as heavy as 6 class" so this must be one heavy duty machine.  I just am finding zero information on this machine anywhere.  It must be rare for sure.  If it is tight, nothing missing (that I need) or broken I might pull the trigger on it.  I have to wonder what is on the back side of that giant wheel.  I'm attaching another picture that shows the table with it.....where is the motor is this thing set up for hand crank?  Maybe the motor sticks out the back of the table and the belt is exposed?  It just looks like a strange set up from the pic's.  Best regards, Mike

Singer6-19pic3.jpg

Sorry, but I can't help myself....in the drawing you submitted there is a motor on the side so the "hand wheel" is more of a flywheel.  In the picture can barely be seen a round section on the other side of the machine but there is no motor visible or cutout for belt.  The table base is same color of green as machine.  Best regards, Mike  a friend just emailed me with a correction that the motor on the side is for a compressor to blow out the stuff related to the drilling operation which is not used in this setup having been removed I guess and the giant spring is likely for compressing any books he thought.  So, a picture of the back side will be asked for tomorrow to see the motor setup.  I'll change it to a servo if the price is right and it is bought.  

Edited by ke6cvh

And here is the last of the pictures I can get for now (it is midnight and all that was sent to me).  Best regards, Mike

Singer6-19pic4.jpg

Singer6-19pic5.jpg

I think that motor on the side is for the drill and or air compressor separate from the machine motor and drive system.  This setup is similar to the Singer Class 7-31.  The hand wheel has a clutch-wheel on it and when you press the pedal the large arm engages the spinning clutch against the hand wheel to start it sewing.  This clutch-wheel looks like it has been removed and they are just placing the belt directly on the hand wheel.  Here is a better picture of how the machine would have looked in the power table with the clutch wheel and arm even though this is the Class 7-31 it is the same mechanism.  On this type of hand-wheel  it doesn't have the belt groove since they expected you to place the wide belt on the clutch-wheel.  But I have run my class 7-31 with the belt directly on the wheel and it still woks.  You could also swap the wheel for a 7-33 wheel that has the v-belt groove. 

Back to your original question, I don't think it would be the best machine to sew leather.  You probably could convert it to a class 7 needle, but still its not what the machine was intended to do, and depending on what it cost it may not be worth the conversion.  If you get it for a very reasonable price (for me that number would be less than $100 USD) it may be worth the effort, otherwise I would pass and keep looking for a Class 7 machine.  On the other hand if they have all the extra parts in a box then it would be of more value, since you may be able to restore it.

5a4d0d3025f54_Singer7-31directdrivetable.jpg.2e7443fa941023ea6ef260d2c39d09f8.jpg

Good morning!  Sorry about the late response am 12 hours off EST.  I edited my comment above before hitting the sack for the night as a friend emailed me and mentioned the motor for the air compressor.  You have taught me allot about the 7 class machines.  I'd suspected the 7 class machines might be very similar to the 6 class.  Had also wondered about the larger portion of the wheel in the first drawing and now know about the clutch.  I can get something machined (if someone hasn't already) for the new area to accept a groove for M type belt coming off a servo.  Was wondering why the rear of the machine was not included in pictures and now think that is likely because someone made changes to it.  Also, thanks for giving me an idea of it's worth as a book machine that will need types of conversion.  I'll let you know but suspect they will ask between 150 and 250 dollars.  Let's see.  There is a model 7 in Manila but I only saw it very briefly and did not have a flashlight so don't know what sub class I just know the hand wheel would not turn.  The owner of that machine has some various machines from his deceased Uncle sitting around in his warehouse of machines and believes it brings him good luck so refuses to sell (but he did sell me my 45k1 that also belonged to the deceased uncle).  Will keep you updated.  Best regards, Mike

Hey Mike in the pic Yetibelle posted you can see there's parts missing,like the blower & drill.Years ago we used to buy a pulley that that had a tapered split bushing on it w/4 bolts that tightened on the shat when you tightened them.it fits on the collar on the rightside of the wheel.

I love it!  If it was available locally I'd gladly pay $500 and play around converting it to more conventional uses - cool, big, and unique!

edit: (since it's already missing book related parts makes me bet it's been sewing other materials for a while....)

Edited by DonInReno