I was about to purchase a sewing machine and was looking at a couple different brands. Was wondering if anyone has used the tippman. Boss could give any info on if they liked it or should go another route

23 minutes ago, buzzardbait said:

I had a Boss for 3 years and used it quite a bit. The happiest day of my life was the day I sold it.

WOW - I thought I was hard on The Boss, that's taking it to the next level. 

There is a love hate relationships with the Tippmann Boss.  If you are mechanically inclined and like tinkering with it, then you might be ok with it...but it also depends what your planned use of the tippmann is... I work with medium weight leathers , from the impression I got, the Tippmann is great sewing through thick layers of leather.  I came close to buying one and asked a member here for his advice and he agreed one of the Cowboy models would be better suited for my needs.

What kind of leather work do you do, or want to do?

For the most part I'm sewing 2 pieces of 8 oz leather together. I was meaning towards cowboy but there is an industrial sewing machine retailer in my area and most of all they sale is juki and Adler and some other chinese manufacturers.  The plus with that company is them servicing and assisting with any problems along with hands on help when buying from them. The machine I'm looking at from them is equivalent to a cb 4500 but they are going to put a speed reducer on it to slow it down to help me with the turns. This is what we saw for the most part

FB_IMG_1507560095357.jpg

3 hours ago, Jason046 said:

For the most part I'm sewing 2 pieces of 8 oz leather together. I was meaning towards cowboy but there is an industrial sewing machine retailer in my area and most of all they sale is juki and Adler and some other chinese manufacturers.  The plus with that company is them servicing and assisting with any problems along with hands on help when buying from them. The machine I'm looking at from them is equivalent to a cb 4500 but they are going to put a speed reducer on it to slow it down to help me with the turns. This is what we saw for the most part

FB_IMG_1507560095357.jpg

First the CB4500 does come with a servo motor and a speed reducer pulley installed.

I like supporting a local company when possible plus it will save on shipping.  However that said if the machine is "setup" correctly and oiled regularly you wont have any issues with it for many years.  The real work is getting the machine "dialed in".  I have checked with local industrial sewing vendors and they wanted almost double the cost of the CB4500 for the Highlead version.  Yes they are almost the exact machine and if I had not unboxed and assembled a factory direct Highlead machine and table for a friend last summer I would not have noticed all the adjustments that go into setting up a Cowboy CB-4500.  So I guess what I am saying is there is value in both options and Cowboy is quality machine and a great value .  So if the local company prices are competitive, and you feel it is a reputable place that will be extra helpful, then it is worth considering.

Thanks for the input, I have heard a ot of good things about the cowboy machines and that is what I was about to buy. Me having no experience in sewing machines and my wife with just sewing clothes I am leaning to the local distributor. The price for the cowboy 4500 and this machine are the same I would just have to pay for the shipping and would have to assemble. They are willing to let me try it on what I'm sewing and help me get going so I'm gonna give them a shot and compare what I have seen with the cowboy machines. Thanks for all the help