I made these for all of my sisters-in-law for Christmas and think they turned out well. I’ve been contemplating the idea of selling some on Etsy to earn a little income, since I’m a stay at home mom. If anyone has any advice on selling or making your own business, I would greatly appreciate it.

2CF78828-0916-49EA-9CA1-A8CE363C0639.jpeg

97FBE1C6-BC77-4F20-91A3-026567247E6F.jpeg

I sell on Etsy and for the most part I like it.  Fees run just over 7% total between Etsy's fees and the financial transaction fees.

On Etsy SEO (search engine optimization) is everything.  You can't sell your product if people can't find it.

Don't be discouraged if you start slow.  It took 4 months for me to make my first sale.  New sellers don't have a proven track record so buyers tend to be cautious.

They look great, I also checked with my 14 year old daughter, she likes them too.  I don't think you'll have any trouble selling them.

Rodney

Edited by rodneywt1180b

I just thought of this.  Are there any wood turners in your area?  Your leather work and designs are great.  I think some custom turned sticks in some pretty hardwoods would take your barrettes to the next level.

We have had several cuff / bracelets on Easy for quite some time and it's still slow.  However the cost to list item is well within acceptable.  Take good pictures, write great descriptions of product, be patient and you will sell products.  It's mostly about price point and your description of products.  Be patient.

6 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I just thought of this.  Are there any wood turners in your area?  Your leather work and designs are great.  I think some custom turned sticks in some pretty hardwoods would take your barrettes to the next level.

Unfortunately, I have no idea... I am not sure if there are any around, as the only lumber mill around here that I know about burned in the summer from a wildfire. I’ll have to ponder this and see if I can figure something out.

Edited by barbedwireboutique

7 hours ago, barbedwireboutique said:

Unfortunately, I have no idea... I am not sure if there are any around, as the only lumber mill around here that I know about burned in the summer from a wildfire. I’ll have to ponder this and see if I can figure something out.

I had just the same problem awhile back and decided to go with cow horn. Not the best picture I'm sorry but should give you the general idea. Lovely work BTW :yes:

CC Hair bar.JPG

5 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I had just the same problem awhile back and decided to go with cow horn.

How do you work the cow horn? Is it comparable to timber to saw, sand and drill etc?

Wow, that’s gorgeous!!! Love how you used the cow horn!

Barbedwireboutique: I see Boise has a woodturner's club that meets regularly. 

http://mkmk.com/swiwt/index.php

I don't know how far you are from there but it may be a possibility.   There's also a club in Spokane - Inland NorthWest Woodturners - if that's closer for you.   There may be a member in one of the clubs that's close to you and willing to do the work.

I do some turning but I'm not set up for smaller, finer stuff like what you would need.

Also, I may be making assumptions but those look like standard hardware store dowels that you started with.  They tend to be pretty plain and somewhat on the soft side-at least the ones at my local store are.  As another sort of middle of the road option you can get dowels in a variety of decorative woods.  Here's one supplier though I've never used them.

https://www.bearwood.com/wood-dowel-rods-walnut-maple-oak-dowels.html

I'm not trying to be pushy.  I just think your barrettes are nice enough they deserve a pretty stick to go with them.

No honestly, I really appreciate it. Boise is about 2 hrs away. I’ll definitely see if I can find someone and I will look into the link and go with my best option. This is fantastic!

If you plan to contact a wood turner, I know at our club's meetings the president will generally announce to the members if they know of anyone looking for something made.  If you contact the club through the website they'll probably do something similar.

11 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

How do you work the cow horn? Is it comparable to timber to saw, sand and drill etc?

@Rockoboy yes mostly it is like working with timber and sands nicely and I just finish of with tripoli polish and a rag wheel. I make a lot of our slickers from them as well and they work as well or better I think than bone.

10 hours ago, barbedwireboutique said:

Wow, that’s gorgeous!!! Love how you used the cow horn!

Thank you. Remember to use a good mask and look after your lungs if you decide to give it a go.:)

Just a suggestion but those flowers would pop if they had some shading from a pear shader. I like the jewels in them...haven't seen that before. Good job!

On 1/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, JMcC said:

Just a suggestion but those flowers would pop if they had some shading from a pear shader. I like the jewels in them...haven't seen that before. Good job!

I did use my pear shader. Maybe I need to be a little heavier handed, though? I’m always nervous that I am doing too much. Also I was able to find some hardwood dowels, so they will be a bit nicer, now.