terryHHI

Need to make 50 ft of 1/4’’ round leather cord

I have an idea for a braided/macrame shoulder strap for a tote bag I’m making my wife. I’ll need about 50 feet of 1/4 inch leather cord and I’d like to make the cord. (This also might be an elaborate plan to justify a rein rounder.)  Here is my ideas on how to do this. 

1. Use 14+ ounce skirting - as thick as I can find.  I’m trying not to fold over and sew leather to create a piece thick enough to result in a 1/4 round cord or close to it. 
  2. Cut a circle large enough to get a 50 foot continuous strip.  Is there a formula or rule of thumb for length of a strip from a circle? 
    1. Is it feasible to splice shorter lengths into one long length?
  3. Use strap cutter and leather circle to peal off a strip 1/4 inch wide and 50 foot long.
  4. Follow the process for creating round reins I’ve found on here. Bruce Johnson also has a good tutorial on his site. 

At what point in the process is it best to apply dye?  I’m assuming after beveling and before starting the rounding process. 

Please chime in if you have any ideas or insight. This is totally new to me.  

Thanks,

Terry

I haven't done it, so I don't have much to add. I was going to say make it out of a circle, but you already knew that. 

14 oz is going to be tough on the strap cutter blade. I would strop and change it a few times during cutting. 

Also, maybe wet the leather to make it a little easier on you.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Thanks Bikermutt, I’ve never worked with 14 oz leather. Hadn’t thought about how tough it may be to cut with strap cutter. 

Glad I could help, even if only a little.

Great idea ENC, thank you.  I’m going to buy small roll and experiment.

2 hours ago, ENC said:

This site is indeed a gold mine of information! I never would have thought of that!