AlP264

Starting ANOTHER hobby in Massachusetts

Being an avid outdoorsman and Bushcrafter leather work seems to be the next hobby for me. I'm hoping to learn skills for making axe masks, knife sheaths, pouches etc.. I've started researching/learning on youtube & the web and came across this site. I Figured this would be one of my best learning tools and resource for info.. Thanks, AL

Welcome to the forum! You'll find all sorts of helpful instructions, advice, and tips, as well as lots of inspiration for projects.
You can spend hours reading about sheaths and such after using the "Search..." function to look for those things, so make sure you've got the spare time blocked out!

Something I wish I had done was start with a tiny project I could afford to do over and over to polish skills.

Like maybe zipper pull tabs? I can think of at least 4 skills I could have worked on by just trying to replace those around the house. The cost of leather alone is very disheartening when you see your own ugly stitches or amateur wet molding on a large project.

21 minutes ago, Dun said:

Something I wish I had done was start with a tiny project I could afford to do over and over to polish skills.

Like maybe zipper pull tabs? I can think of at least 4 skills I could have worked on by just trying to replace those around the house. The cost of leather alone is very disheartening when you see your own ugly stitches or amateur wet molding on a large project.

But it's the only way to learn.lol And then you can really see improvement. I have a couple really bad first projects on my work bench from when I started. It's motivation and shows how I'm improving.

3 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

But it's the only way to learn.lol And then you can really see improvement. I have a couple really bad first projects on my work bench from when I started. It's motivation and shows how I'm improving.

Hah yeah. Check the briefcase stuff I "learned as I went" in my critique thread, it's painfull how expensive that learning was. And it's built like a tank and will mock me forever! 

Sorry OP, probably not what you wanted to hear. How may we help you?

Edited by Dun

29 minutes ago, Dun said:

Take this one to heart......

"Start in small batches of the same small item. This will give you great yield from your leather while you develop all the techniques. It will give you more time to practice each step. Plus if you botch a few you can keep progressing without starting over."

Welcome aboard from another newbie!! Great help here.

Sled

Awesome being a member here. Nice to welcome others into the forum.

Enjoy your time well spent while in the forum.

Chas