Runamuck

Hello from Mn

Been lurking for a few years and soaking up info from everyone. Finally jumping into leathercraft with both feet. I made my first post last week, and I just realized I never introduced myself. Anyway my name is Bill, I'm an ag mechanic and have become a leatherholic. Looking forward to learning much more, and hopefully can contribute something.

Welcome aboard, Bill. Enjoy this tidbit...

"Start in small batches of the same small item. This will give you great yield from your leather while you develop all the techniques. It will give you more time to practice each step. Plus if you botch a few you can keep progressing without starting over."

(Anyone else can feel free to copy and paste this to share with other newcomers. It wasn't my idea)

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Welcome aboard, Bill. Enjoy this tidbit...

"Start in small batches of the same small item. This will give you great yield from your leather while you develop all the techniques. It will give you more time to practice each step. Plus if you botch a few you can keep progressing without starting over."

(Anyone else can feel free to copy and paste this to share with other newcomers. It wasn't my idea)

Ok @bikermutt07, you keep suggesting this...:yes:

Last night I cut up a goatskin in to 8 wallets, a total of 48 pieces. I will assemble them when I have time.:thumbsup:

After I had got this far... I thought of you and realised that if my measurements are wrong? All my wallets could be ruined.:o

Maybe a single prototype that the new leather worker is happy with first and then multiple of that to practise on would be better?:unsure:

30 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Last night I cut up a goatskin in to 8 wallets, a total of 48 pieces. I will assemble them when I have time.:thumbsup:

After I had got this far... I thought of you and realised that if my measurements are wrong? All my wallets could be ruined.:o

Maybe a single prototype that the new leather worker is happy with first and then multiple of that to practise on would be better?:unsure:

Just general tips and stream of consciousness following:

Get some thick-ish paper and prototype once with that first. (I made an entire paper briefcase using safety pins where stitching would be  :P ) 

Then protoype out of some leather, allowing for extra length where it needs to bend(paper bends easily without using up length, leather not so much)

Then cut out multiple :thumbsup:

I'm honestly thinking of making the fanciest zipper pulls I can for technique practice while I wait for new leather for a specific project.

20110830_2313911.jpg

I think this would be good for me to get better with skiving and controlled glueing and wet forming and pricking and awl work and better looking stitches and edge work. 
Maybe then my next wallet would actually look good.

Edited by Dun

In fashion work /design..making the "rough" version out of something cheap..is called making the "toile" ( French..pronounced twal..rhymes with Al..like Al Jolson ) or making the "muslin" ( which pronounces just how you'd think ) ..when you've cut the cheap stuff, usually cheap fabric ( carton or paper can work to substitute for veg tan or stiff leather )..you can , pin, adjust, cut, fold , whatever til you get it right..saves you making some potentially very expensive mistakes with some very expensive materials or leather .

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

But wallets aren't exactly a small item. I usually suggest key fobs or bracelets. It's more of an exercise. One at a time you don't get enough practice with each step. You may only get 20 minutes of burnishing, 10 minutes of dying, one or two snaps set, etc. etc. This kept me developing at a very slow rate the first year. It also lent itself to me forgetting steps and or order.

But, I can see your point.

Perhaps I should amend the quote for clarity.

Edited by bikermutt07

22 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

But wallets aren't exactly a small item. I usually suggest key fobs or bracelets. It's more of an exercise. One at a time you don't get enough practice with each step. You may only get 20 minutes of burnishing, 10 minutes of dying, one or two snaps set, etc. etc. This kept me developing at a very slow rate the first year. It also lent itself to me forgetting steps and or order.

But, I can see your point.

Perhaps I should amend the quote for clarity.

@bikermutt07 I’m only having a bit of a laugh...

I have to say... I think you’re the most thoughtful and friendly guy on this forum! You’re almost always the first one to welcome a new leather worker and always have a good word for every new project (good or bad):blink: and always willing to give advise (good or bad :Lighten:) and even sometimes have a laugh at you’re own expense. :thumbsup:

I often wonder when you sleep? :zzz:

keep up the good work! And work on those stitches... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

1 hour ago, Dun said:

Just general tips and stream of consciousness following:

Get some thick-ish paper and prototype once with that first. (I made an entire paper briefcase using safety pins where stitching would be  :P ) 

Then protoype out of some leather, allowing for extra length where it needs to bend(paper bends easily without using up length, leather not so much)

Then cut out multiple :thumbsup:

I'm honestly thinking of making the fanciest zipper pulls I can for technique practice while I wait for new leather for a specific project.

20110830_2313911.jpg

I think this would be good for me to get better with skiving and controlled glueing and wet forming and pricking and awl work and better looking stitches and edge work. 
Maybe then my next wallet would actually look good.

You’ve been watching Instagram...

I’ve saved lots of pictures of amazing sewing by other leather workers.  It’s what I try to imitate when I’m stitching my own projects and even if I get anywhere close to the perfection that they create... I’m doing alright!

I have to say... I think you’re the most thoughtful and friendly guy on this forum! You’re almost always the first one to welcome a new leather worker and always have a good word for every new project (good or bad):blink: and always willing to give advise (good or bad :Lighten:) and even sometimes have a laugh at you’re own expense. :thumbsup:

I agree totally there..I think of Mutt as a personification of the kind of "welcome" that favourite relatives used to give when you knocked on their door when I was a kid..you make the place warmer Mutt..good man :-)

27 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

@bikermutt07 I’m only having a bit of a laugh...

keep up the good work! And work on those stitches... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

18 minutes ago, mikesc said:

I agree totally there..I think of Mutt as a personification of the kind of "welcome" that favourite relatives used to give when you knocked on their door when I was a kid..you make the place warmer Mutt..good man :-)

Wow, thanks guys. I just want everyone to have fun here. I got a lot of encouragement and help from people here when I started. I'm just trying to give some back.

I think it's the responsibility of us intermediates to handle the heavy load of the easy questions. That way our experts can focus on helping the intermediates with the tougher more evolved scenarios like complicated construction, sewing machines, and saddlery questions.

That's just the way I feel about it. I'm no expert at any one thing, but I'm pretty good at a lot of different stuff. Sadly, most of that isn't leather related. But luckily I'm good enough at enough other things to not go hungry.

Sleep? Who needs sleep?

27 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

You’ve been watching Instagram...

I’ve saved lots of pictures of amazing sewing by other leather workers.  It’s what I try to imitate when I’m stitching my own projects and even if I get anywhere close to the perfection that they create... I’m doing alright!

Oh yeah! 

Every once in a while a couple stitches or an inch of edging is perfect and *chef's kiss*