geargarcon

Why make satchel back and top closure out of two pieces?

Can someone tell me why one would make a briefcase/satchel where the back and top closure portions are made out of separate pieces of leather instead of one continuous piece?

Is this just to allow the designer to pick the cleanest pieces of leather and add some interesting stitching detail, or does it serve a structural purpose?

FA2DD739-9766-436A-A008-60F9C46EB468.jpeg

9 minutes ago, geargarcon said:

Can someone tell me why one would make a briefcase/satchel where the back and top closure portions are made out of separate pieces of leather instead of one continuous piece?

Is this just to allow the designer to pick the cleanest pieces of leather and add some interesting stitching detail, or does it serve a structural purpose?

FA2DD739-9766-436A-A008-60F9C46EB468.jpeg

I can’t think of any reason other than what you stated - use of leather and design element.  Possibly use thinner leather to make the cover flap more flexible.

Gary

It is probably more of a production decision. On a large scale smaller pieces bring better yield from multiple hides.

I can't speak for anyone else but me. I make a lot of bags and for me it's to make the best use of the material at hand. Longer runs are not always possible and I sometimes can get 3 bags out of multiple pieces where I can only get one if I did the back and flap in one run. I've had a few comments about it in the past. I'm thinking about fancying it up a bit so it looks like a fashion move. Hope this helps.