Brahmus

Material for Cartridge Loops in a pouch

I am working on making a cartridge carrier as a gift for my brother. The picture is of a mock-up/pattern I am making out of some scraps, I am planning on it holding 2 rows of 10 rounds and the second row unfolding when it opens up.. i was just wondering if 1-2oz pigskin would be a good material for the cartridge loops. The carrier is for .17hmr and I am having issues with heavier leather being thicker than the shell and it is bunching up some on the backside.

I have never used pigskin, but it looks durable and cheap and those are 2 qualities that make it attractive. I just want to make sure it will hold up well and look OK with the body (which will be 4-6oz veg). I am not planning on lining the inside of the carrier,  will this cause any problems other than not being as attractive?

Thank you for any advice!

cartridgeSmall.jpg

Don't know about the pigskin, but I'm using Kangaroo hide on some loops, as it's very thin and tough for its weight.

I only use pigskin for lining, I wonder if it would be too flimsy to use as cartridge loops.  I guess I would take some scrap first and make a sample 1 or 2 cartridge holder and see how it turns out before proceeding with your project.  

Let us know what you end up using.

Gary

I would not use pigskin for that, . . . it will in the long run loosen up and not hold the cartridges like veg tan will do.

I would use 2/3 oz veggie tan, . . . wet it well before you start making your loops is the first thing, . . . don't loop it dry.

Secondly, . . . bring your leather in, . . . loop it around the cartridge, . . . and take it back out the same hole in the back.  This is how I make all my cartridge belts.

When you cut your strip for the cartridges, . . . make it the width of the hole you are using, . . . plus a 32nd of an inch or so, . . . pull it through wet, . . . when it dries, it will have a permanent "lock" because it will dry wider than the hole you pulled it through.

I make the whole cartridge belt, . . . wrapping around cartridges as I go, . . . and don't remove the first one until I've done the last one, . . . and them remove them very carefully.

You also only have to put one rivet at each end (or one doubled over stitch) to hold the cartridge loop ends.

Take a look on my website, . . . product examples page, . . . down toward the bottom is a money belt / cartridge belt, . . . shows what it looks like.

Best wishes, may God bless,

Dwight

Good description of the process, Dwight, that's exactly how I do it (great minds? ;)). It's easier than stitching and looks quite neat, plus the spacing of the slots determines how close together the loops are.

Thank you for the help everybody. 

I was weaving in through the hole, around the cartridge and out the same hole. I just had a small scrap to practice with and it came out short. I wove the last little bit in and out to hold it in place. I had read a few threads on here about slip cartridge belts, and bought the Will Ghormley pattern pack from Tandy. Funny there wasn't any information for cartridge belts in the pattern pack that wasn't already on  leatherworker.net ! I may use his design for a money belt for a belt for myself though. 

Making the strips oversized and weaving them when wet was new to me, so thank you for that! I will use veg instead of the pigskin. I just had 1 more question about the leather I use. Springfield has some 2/3 ounce veg tooling calfskin that is pretty cheap. Would there be any difference in calfskin vs cowhide, other than the calf hide being much smaller physically? Or will the calf stretch more and end up with similar results as pigskin? I have limited funds and don't want to buy $150 of leather for a 4x6 cartridge carrier!

Actually, John Bianchi suggested using calf skin for the loops in his old VHS tapes on holster making.

I never have because I've always had the other available and it worked well. 

You'll do well with the veggie tan I'm sure.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you again Dwight! I ended up ordering a 2/3 ounce belly from Springfield, I hadn't seen it at first glance. It was priced reasonably and I imagine it will do the job.