Gregsleather

magnets for cell phone cases

Howdy.  Been working on some cell phone cases and I usually either use a sam brown stud or a snap and sometimes even velcro but my father has asked to make one with a magnet on the flap since that is what he has now but wants a leather one.  I can't seem to find a magnet that would work and I am afraid to use a couple of the  neodymium magnets as I'm afraid they will be too strong.  Any idea on who sells the kind of magnets to put in the flap of a cell phone case?

Putting a pic of one of my cases so you can see what I have to work with.

Thanks in advance.

Phone Case _ 01.png

I've used the  disc magnets from Tandy Leather in the cell phone cases I made for my wife. They need a liner, though. They have three sizes. I used the larger one for her Pixel 2.

Edited by steelhawk

You need fairly strong magnets to hold through 2 layers of leather separating the magnets.  I have found 5/8" diameter and about 1/8" thick.  http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ has lots of information available for holding strength and applications.  (As well as selling them for what I considered to be reasonable prices, even considering shipping and import fees to Canada.)

Using a single magnet and piece of sheet steel for the opposite flap doesn't have the holding power you want.  On a small purse flap, had to go back in and add 2 mating magnets to the original 2.

You can pull apart an old case and salvage the magnets if you have one laying around, or go to a goodwill store.

Tom

Thanks guys.  All good suggestions and didn't think about the holding power using just a magnet and a piece of sheet metal.  Good point.  May give goodwill store a shakedown later and see what they have.

Thanks again.

Try Ohio Travel Bag , they were just advertising  their magnets . I am going to try them myself.

Jim

I've used some fidlock buckles (badly taken pics in my critique thread) for arthritic hands fumbling at a belt mounted wallet holder. They are not pretty and hard to hide but they self align and lock without fiddling. Just listen for the click and you are good to go.

I have just in the last couple of weeks received these and they work great. the reverse side of the magnet is a rivet cap so unlike the other magnetic clasps I've seen you don't have to bend over metal strips to hold it in place.

RcwspWt.jpg

7jjFJPe.jpg

2BV3aGp.jpg

Double magnetic snap

You will need a setting tool like this

Setting Tool

5 hours ago, stormcrow said:

I have just in the last couple of weeks received these and they work great. the reverse side of the magnet is a rivet cap so unlike the other magnetic clasps I've seen you don't have to bend over metal strips to hold it in place.

RcwspWt.jpg

7jjFJPe.jpg

2BV3aGp.jpg

Double magnetic snap

You will need a setting tool like this

Setting Tool

Tandy has these also. Used on a bag worked well.