Ogoki

Needle-Feed Cylinder Arm Machines

Hi guys,

Which vintage needle-feed cylinder arm machines can handle heavy thread - ideally up to #346.  I assume the Adler 105 would do the trick.  Which other machines should I keep an eye out for?  Would any of the Consew 22x variants do the trick?  I would like to be able to put a roller foot on it for boot work once in a while (for heavy-thread accents on the uppers), so I prefer needle feed to walking-foot, and I am only interested in vintage "junk." ;)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Watch for a Singer 45k, or a Juki TSC-441 or an Adler 205-374. These were the cream of the crop until the clones took over the market (Cowboy, Cobra, Techsew, etc). Artisan has made or sold some really heavy duty cylinder arm machines over the years.

Other than the above, the Ferdinand Bull series machines could sew with #346 thread, as can the hard to find Number 9 and Luberto Classic cylinder arm machines.

I tried out an Adler 105 and found it wanting for thread handling capacity. A 205 is the better way to go for #346 thread.

When I went through the searching for a heavy duty machine period in my career, I ended up with a Union Lockstitch machine. It could handle any size thread I could buy and sewed a solid 3/4 inch of leather, or wood and leather combination. I kind of wish I'd kept it just to hear the racket and feel the floor shake as I ran it at full speed (wax or lube flying in every direction, smoke from the awl, etc; fun stuff).

Thanks for the info, Wiz.  To be honest, I'm basically looking for something that would serve as a poor man's Union Lockstitch.  I have been wondering how Wesco runs such thick thread on the uppers of their boots (looks like CB554, the same as the outsole thread we all use), and finally realized it is a Union Lockstitch.  Having been hit in the face by broken needles and awls off a Rapid E, the idea of that machine really excites me, but I think that something with a roller would serve me better.  And I would like to be able to use it for heavy-thread accents on denim (#0 cotton thread), so a UL might be a little ridiculous in that case...

Will an Adler 105 handle #277 thread?

Yes, the 105 can handle #277 thread. The smallest thread would be #138, depending on the shuttle spacer that's installed.

@Wizcrafts Above you mentioned a Singer 45k. What is the sewing thickness? If i may ask. There is a 45k25 for sale near me. It is $1200 and comes on a treadle stand. Just curious, I am sure its being sold by a local dealer. I do love some old cast iron. But know I am not always able and willing to sustain it. 

Thak you. 

On 1/18/2018 at 11:30 AM, bullmoosepaddles said:

@Wizcrafts Above you mentioned a Singer 45k. What is the sewing thickness? If i may ask. There is a 45k25 for sale near me. It is $1200 and comes on a treadle stand. Just curious, I am sure its being sold by a local dealer. I do love some old cast iron. But know I am not always able and willing to sustain it. 

Thak you. 

It depends on the set up but normally about 1/2".

Main limit is the needle bar crashing into the foot