1 hour ago, mikesc said:

It would do both..polyester will harden the surface ( and it penetrates well so will harden the top "ply" and maybe the one under it depending on the thickness of each "ply" ) the protection is that it is pretty impervious to most things ( although it will stain a bit with some dyes )..although it can be diluted with acetone ( which is a pretty aggressive solvent ) before curing.. once it has "cured" ( catalysed ) the chemical make up changes and the resulting structure and chemical composition of the molecules is much more resilient, even to acetone..

Think of the decks and hulls and superstructure and the lockers on deck etc of fishing boats..they are pretty impervious to sea water , oil, petrol ( gasoline for the "left side of pondians" ) and most chemicals..and the abrasion resistance is improved.There used to be a place in Dudley ( and another I think it was in Stockton , Teeside ) that sold the plywood that was polyester resin impregnated and faced ( dark brown and red in colour ) that made up some of the old British Railways wagons ( not the really old ones from when I was a kid, but the ones that came in in the 70s ) when they took the wagons out of service you could buy entire sheets of the plywood for scrap..there is a similar place in France in Nancy and another in Strasbourg )..There is a name for this kind of plywood, ( but I can't remember it *) it is probably available commercially now anyway..but would be stupidly expensive..and for what you need , you can impregnate it yourself.

Just a couple of things..don't be tempted to add more catalyst than it says ( usually less than 3% by volume ) ..it will appear to be doing nothing, and then start to cure very fast and you'll have a solid tin of the stuff and a solid brush too ..and don't sleep in the room that the thing is curing in, the "outgassing" smell is a mix of gases / vapours in "the styrene family" ..and is bad for you..as in very bad for you..best do it outside ..or wear a mask or have the room well ventilated while you are working ( windows open etc ) ..you can close the windows and leave the room 'til next day when you are done with each coat..when you go back in..open the windows and let the gas and vapours dissipate before continuing work..a bit of "background" heat in the room will speed up the "curing rate"..

*Anyone who remembers what it ( or similar ) is called where they are ( wherever they are ) ?

Cheers Mike, it’s one a few options I’ll certainly consider.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, Earl Ash said:

I've been putting off building a better table because I'm pretty mediocre at wood work.  Currently using an old wooden door on adjustable saw bucks.  But those legs may just jump start my building plans.  I really need a larger table and need it high enough to stand and work.  

Not sure what your access to building materials is like in Ireland...but...here in the States, a SOLID core door blank makes a fine table top for various grades of work duty...they are available in several different widths, are smooth & flat, and, thanks to their solid internal construction, can be cut down the required size. I've used them on several projects, including my current workbenches. The current trending price for one in my area (36"x80") is about $70.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite-36-in-x-80-in-Smooth-Flush-Hardboard-Solid-Core-Birch-Veneer-Composite-Interior-Door-Slab-104280/100064572

Be sure that it's not a hollow core version, mind you...they look very similar...one of those will never last under the strain of the pounding, clamping, etc...even if you manage to cut it and it not fall apart.

Hey everyone, 

i would just like to thank you all for your advice and input on this topic. I weighed up all the info you each had given and in the end decided one of the tables above, i also took your advice @RockyAussie, and asked that the table be made without the front  beam- which they kindly did for me. I am genuinely thrilled with my new table and really suffered the last two years working at a table not the right height but thats all made up for today. Just wanted to say thanks and show my bench !

IMG_3162.jpg

Well done, SS!

Garypl, if that reloading bench ever gets in your way I'll drive over and take it your hands, and I'll even do it for free!!!!:)

10 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Garypl, if that reloading bench ever gets in your way I'll drive over and take it your hands, and I'll even do it for free!!!!:)

LOL!  Thanks for the offer, but it gets quite a bit of use still.  It's one of those things that I built into the house and if I ever move it will stay with the house!

Gary

Well then if you want to leave the table I help move and keep err a move the reloading device under the cover there.  What model is that it has been one of my dream machine bucket thingies, I had the red made model with a few bells but none of the whistles and sold it thinking I would never pull another handle, boy was I wrong, I finished 1000 9mm just before that holidays and still about 1500 casings laying around, they keep calling out to me when I walk by, but I just keep ignoring them. 

1 hour ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Well then if you want to leave the table I help move and keep err a move the reloading device under the cover there.  What model is that it has been one of my dream machine bucket thingies, I had the red made model with a few bells but none of the whistles and sold it thinking I would never pull another handle, boy was I wrong, I finished 1000 9mm just before that holidays and still about 1500 casings laying around, they keep calling out to me when I walk by, but I just keep ignoring them. 

I have two Dillon 550s, a Bonanza CoAx and a few single stage loaders for metallic cartridges.  Only use the CoAx for loading 45-70 & 45-90 and a couple of oddball cartridges that are very low volume.  If you load in volume there is no substitute for a Dillon.

Gary

I have never used a Dillon, it is on my bucket list of things to do!  But like you mentioned I understand there is nothing even close as hard as the others try.

The workbench looks to be a great choice. Now your going to be busy in the shop again. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing 

Floyd