Made this for a friend's Bowie knife that is a Western brand. he got it a a garage sale for cheap and had no sheath for it. Did the stitching with Boss and the finish is a homemade concoction with carnauba wax on the edge for burnishing. Please criticize as I want to improve my craft. 

Bowie knife sheath4.jpg

Bowie knife sheath1.jpg

That's a nice sheath - noticed you did not stitch all the way up to the hilt on the cutting edge side - is this to allow clearance for the widest part of the blade?

It looks thin - did you use a welt to keep the threads from contacting the blade?

Gary

Looks good.  Is there a welt? I can't make one out. Also how did you finish your edges. They look a little rough?

Edited by kiwican

I used a wooden hand burnisher with the leather damp and then dabbed some carnauba wax on the bottom edges where the blade goes. I didn't finish the top at all. IDK why. lol rookie mistake. 

Edited by CrackedPennyLeathercraft

37 minutes ago, garypl said:

That's a nice sheath - noticed you did not stitch all the way up to the hilt on the cutting edge side - is this to allow clearance for the widest part of the blade?

It looks thin - did you use a welt to keep the threads from contacting the blade?

Gary

Thanks. That is correct. I didn't stitch all the way to allow clearance for the width. I didn't make a welt for this as I just gave another 1/8 in to allow for space from blade to the stitching. I will in the future though. Thank you again for your reply!

Edited by CrackedPennyLeathercraft

36 minutes ago, CrackedPennyLeathercraft said:

Thanks. That is correct. I didn't stitch all the way to allow clearance for the width. I didn't make a welt for this as I just gave another 1/8 in to allow for space from blade to the stitching. I will in the future though. Thank you again for your reply!

Thanks for your reply!  The other advantage to using a welt (besides protecting the stitching) is to allow a little more clearance between the leather and the blade so it is a bit easier to insert and remove the knife.  We learn a little bit with every new project!

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Thanks for your reply!  The other advantage to using a welt (besides protecting the stitching) is to allow a little more clearance between the leather and the blade so it is a bit easier to insert and remove the knife.  We learn a little bit with every new project!

Gary

Yes agreed, i think I need remedial stitching lessons with my speedy stitcher.

@OP

nice work.

Nice work.   As stated the welt is an integral part of a well made sheath.  One of the things I do that I noticed you didn't is when I have a sharp angle cut into the leather such as where the keeper meets the belt holder and the slice in the bottom of the button hole is to punch a very small hole as a stop to prevent the leather from ripping under stress.  

11 hours ago, Peter Darby said:

Nice work.   As stated the welt is an integral part of a well made sheath.  One of the things I do that I noticed you didn't is when I have a sharp angle cut into the leather such as where the keeper meets the belt holder and the slice in the bottom of the button hole is to punch a very small hole as a stop to prevent the leather from ripping under stress.  

You're saying in the strap that goes over the Sam brown stud? That would make a difference over time. Thanks!

That is what I meant.  Although rereading my sentence, it needs some more punctuation.