I carried out a search & apart from the subject of a mobile app will the site admin consider Tapatalk option at all?

(or is it case of economics)

genuinely curious.

Hopefully.."the site admin"..will not consider it..nor anything like it..ever..

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

Hopefully.."the site admin"..will not consider it..nor anything like it..ever..

Why the animosity towards tapatalk?  What would be the downside?

Ok..to begin with ( because I'm eating atm and do not have time to go into some of many other the reasons )..try searching for
 tapatalk privacy issues for sites
 tapatalk security issues for site admins
 tapatalk security issues for users
 tapatalk cross site scripting

Some of us here also run our own sites ( in my case many sites, over many years ..including fora )..some of us are site admins, or sysadmins..some of us have been doing IT since decades..and thus know to avoid ( for us and our users ) any and all superfluous "social" bolt ons/ add ons/ potential exploit surfaces and vectors..as a site owner / admin , one gains absolutely nothing for adding such "social shiny"..but one does increase the headaches, and the chances of being hacked or having a serious data breach ( and thus exposing the data and private information and privacy of our users, even those who do not use such "apps"..merely so that the "faeces book" generation can be amused/ distracted / feel "engaged"/ "share"..

Oh..and tapatalk is not "cross platform"..it is restricted to android, winphone ( and we know what happened to winphone as a platform , and iphone) ,so it does not work on "rooted" android or on any alternative ( to those 3 ) platforms..whereas..HTML ( what this site runs on ) is entirely platform/ device agnostic..Some of us ( myself included, can and do write "apps"..actually apps is only short for applications, which is software, which many of us have been writing for many years )..and ( unless we are selling or hyping* such "apps" ) we are really not impressed by them at all.

* almost all "apps" tapatalk included, actually exist in order to track their users, and to send the tracking data ( which sites they visit, how long they stay, what pages they see, which ads are on those pages etc, ) to the "mothership" where it is added to the individual users "profiles" to be sifted, filtered, aggregated and sold on to 3rd parties to allow them to "target" the users with personalised advertising..and..the part which most people forget, such profiles can be used and stored ( and they already are. used and stored .some cookies can be set for over 30 years and will not be wiped when you "clean cookies" from your machine )..what you look at today, may be used 10 years from now to condemn you if there is maybe a change of government in the country you currently reside in..ATM in the USA for example it is not against the law to visit sites which talk about making holsters and so..in some countries already the mere fact of reading such threads can mean that one's browsing habits are "flagged" and thus "one is on a list"..maybe  one day  , that will be the case in the USA, in which case one's history of using tapatalk ( or similar ) could come back to bite one..and result in what is known as the "6 am kick down of the door" ).

To return to the point of view of a site admin ( and here I speak only for myself, I am not an admin of this site )..adding such "social bling" gains the site admin nothing, except headaches related to yet another potential exploit surface ..you add that kind of crap onto your site..and you have to spend 24/7/365 watching it being probed.or paying someone to do that watching.

Edited by mikesc

Mike: thanks for some tech opinion. Trying to get a bit of this information in any laymen type way is very helpfull, imho. 

I have found the requirement to store my own photos and appreciate the forums ability to store “any” photos and links to them, its a wealth of knowledge to see others work. I myself am still in novice mode for linking in an effecient way.   

The photo task linkage is just one of them things for me. 

Good day

Floyd

ps: i hope your not having fast food :)

Floyd..Glad to be of help..:-)

fast food..no way..I spend an average of 3 hours each evening cooking for my family, I enjoy it..and all ingredients are as good as I can get, organic as much as possible ( when I was a kid living on our small farm in Ireland , all we had was "organic", we were way too poor to afford fertilizer ) ..tonight was sweet and sour chicken ( takes about 2 hours to do so it has all the flavours in there but so that you can still distinguish each one and so that the vegetables are crunchy, and the chicken has some "bounce" when you bite it ), Basmati rice*, and steamed potatoes with olive oil, garlic, butter, thyme ,  and finely shredded "apple cabbage" and diced courgettes ( what you'd call squashes ? )..with fresh cream added just before serving..Oh and freshly grated cheese ( real cheese ) sprinkled over the "sweet an sour chicken".

Edited by mikesc
forgot the thyme..

Thanks for the reply & info.

IMO there’s more positives than negatives in relation to Tapatalk due to its wider audience, I fully understand and respect others viewpoints on the subject however when I first started in leatherwork I was gobsmacked of how little amount of publications were available in leatherwork, hence why I’m glad this site/forum become available.

I’m not against rooted or jail broken devices & I’m aware it does have its fan base for the unrestricted user, however for the general end user then Tapatalk is a asset & more importantly to promote the site overall (increase web traffic too) then another social platform for leatherworker.net should be embraced or at least considered.

lastly, in relation to uploading images for critique and troubleshooting I’ve found Tapatalk just as easy to use as the other forums I’m a member of.

just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Orangeleather

read this
https://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-is-being-discontinued.1125895/
( one amongst many articles by website owners concerning why tapatalk is not good for websites ) presumably you know that it inserts ads whose profit goes to tapatalk when site users use it to connect to sites..and the privacy issues don't worry you ? It does not increase site traffic for anyone ( other than tapatalk ) it does increase webtraffic ( that word does not mean what you seem to think it means ) though, to the ad servers of tapatalk..Oh..and then there is the privacy of the tapatalk users ( you are perfectly at liberty to sacrifice your own privacy , but tapatalk also leaks information to tapatalk and others from the people who are not using it , but who are using the sites it connects to)..there are zero benefits to any site owner from using tapatalk..Which , if you owned sites with fora ..you'd know...and thus you'd not be promoting a system ( tapatalk ) which costs site owners time to implement, is a security risk to their servers, costs them lost ad revenue, and compromises the privacy of the sites users even those who do not use tapatalk to connect to the site.

Incdentally , there are a vast number of publications ( dead tree and web ) about leatherwork, in many languages , and they have existed for many years and in some cases many decades, because you do not / did not know of them , speaks more to your research than to the reality of the information available. This site has been available for a very long time prior to you finding it..it didn't just recently "become available". It has over 70K membership, and is on the first page , at the top, of any SERP in English for just about any search terms that are "informational" as opposed to "transactional". Doesn't need any bolt on socail parastic app to become known, it already is the number one resource for leather workers in the English language, and it is continuously referenced, and linked to in fora in other many other languages ..Finding out about the resources that exist concerning a craft requires ( like learning the craft itself ) time and careful diligent research, it cannot be "short cut" by merely expecting the owners of the sites, the publishers of the books, or the repositories of the information, or imagery to use the latest "sharing"* economy millennial bling for mobile devices.

* Sharing all too often means allowing 3rd parties ( with badly coded or unethical app bling ) to take the information or intellectual property or work of others and to interpose themselves ( for profit ), but completely unnecessarily between the originators of the information, images or services and the people looking for the information, images or services.

btw..the specific problems referred to by android forums regarding their structure and the archaic structure of tapatalk ( the back end code tapatalk uses is no better since that article was written ) also applies to many other fora , sites and servers, the security problems are akin to running an IRC channel tacked onto a site. ( it is like hanging a big sign on your site" an invitation to be hacked" ) I'm certain that any server admin , or site owner admin with experience of running and adminning many sites , fora and servers, and also writing code for sites , scripts, "apps" and software ( things like wix, blogger, or a page on facebook, or hosted on wordpress etc , do not count as being a "site owner" ) reading these words knows exactly what I'm talking about.Tapatalk and other such "sharing" apps and software is /are all about getting people to install their crapware/ malware/ spyware onto their "devices" ( and if possible get the users to ask to add the software to the site(s)server(s) ) so as to be able to "intercept" visitors to other people's websites content, and selling on their users data, their ( tapatalk et al's ) "appeal" is to those who apparently cannot live without their smart phones and their "touch screens"..real computing , content creation , programming and site admin, is not done via a touch screen.

tapatalk is not the only miscreant..all similar software , apps, interfaces are subject to the same problems, set up for the same reasons ( to profit on the back of the content, creation, work of others ) and are all security and privacy nightmares.

Edited by mikesc

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

read this
https://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-is-being-discontinued.1125895/
( one amongst many articles by website owners concerning why tapatalk is not good for websites ) presumably you know that it inserts ads whose profit goes to tapatalk when site users use it to connect to sites..and the privacy issues don't worry you ? It does not increase site traffic for anyone ( other than tapatalk ) it does increase webtraffic ( that word does not mean what you seem to think it means ) though, to the ad servers of tapatalk..Oh..and then there is the privacy of the tapatalk users ( you are perfectly at liberty to sacrifice your own privacy , but tapatalk also leaks information to tapatalk and others from the people who are not using it , but who are using the sites it connects to)..there are zero benefits to any site owner from using tapatalk..Which , if you owned sites with fora ..you'd know...and thus you'd not be promoting a system ( tapatalk ) which costs site owners time to implement, is a security risk to their servers, costs them lost ad revenue, and compromises the privacy of the sites users even those who do not use tapatalk to connect to the site.

Incdentally , there are a vast number of publications ( dead tree and web ) about leatherwork, in many languages , and they have existed for many years and in some cases many decades, because you do not / did not know of them , speaks more to your research than to the reality of the information available. This site has been available for a very long time prior to you finding it..it didn't just recently "become available". It has over 70K membership, and is on the first page , at the top, of any SERP in English for just about any search terms that are "informational" as opposed to "transactional". Doesn't need any bolt on socail parastic app to become known, it already is the number one resource for leather workers in the English language, and it is continuously referenced, and linked to in fora in other many other languages ..Finding out about the resources that exist concerning a craft requires ( like learning the craft itself ) time and careful diligent research, it cannot be "short cut" by merely expecting the owners of the sites, the publishers of the books, or the repositories of the information, or imagery to use the latest "sharing"* economy millennial bling for mobile devices.

* Sharing all too often means allowing 3rd parties ( with badly coded or unethical app bling ) to take the information or intellectual property or work of others and to interpose themselves ( for profit ), but completely unnecessarily between the originators of the information, images or services and the people looking for the information, images or services.

btw..the specific problems referred to by android forums regarding their structure and the archaic structure of tapatalk ( the back end code tapatalk uses is no better since that article was written ) also applies to many other fora , sites and servers, the security problems are akin to running an IRC channel tacked onto a site. ( it is like hanging a big sign on your site" an invitation to be hacked" ) I'm certain that any server admin , or site owner admin ( things like wix, blogger, or a page on facebook, or hosted on wordpress etc , do not count as being a "site owner" ) reading these words knows exactly why I'm writing them, and will be in total agreement..the only "benefit" apart from those to tapatalk that come from their "hijacking"page source, injecting ads into other people's websites content, and selling on their users data is to those who apparently cannot live without their smart phones and their "touch screens"..real computing , content creation , programming and site admin, is not done via a touch screen.

tapatalk is not the only miscreant..all similar software , apps, interfaces are subject to the same problems, set up for the same reasons ( to profit on the back of the content, creation, work of others ) and are all security and privacy nightmares.

Thanks for the link & info.

yes, I’m aware of the add’s side of Tapatalk, I just thought an open debate on what the overall feedback on the consideration And option from as many members interested.

@MikeSC - you should share receipts - yummy :P

haven´t even heard of tapatalk (have to google it) ...

EDIT:

seems I don´t need it :dunno:

Edited by Constabulary

yes, I’m aware of the add’s side of Tapatalk, I just thought an open debate on what the overall feedback on the consideration And option from as many members interested.

Debate , on any subject, if it has any use at all requires all parties knowing what the subject involves and having experience in the subject..

"Open debate" on any technical subject , to have any value requires that everybody be aware of all issues, and that they understand them, and that they have the experience and knowledge of the subject being debated.

We could "openly debate" how to make saddles, but I personally would only expect those with experience of making them professionally to be worth listening to in such a debate.Those who only own horses , or who only ride them, not so much.

"A "saying.."it would be cool for me and maybe some others"* if "X" did "Y", even though it will do them, "X" no good and will actually cause them risk and lower their revenue**..is n't "open debate"..it is an opinion..easy to have, but with no "skin in the game" as a site owner.

( *"others" who have never asked*** for such here, I have read all the threads here, did so years ago prior to my first post, have read and still read all the posts since my first post, yes I read very fast, I "catch up every day or so, all posts , all threads , all categories , sites with "anti-bot" "speed traps" frequently think I'm a bot )

**I wonder also how the paying sponsors of this site would feel about having their ads stripped for some visitors and substituted with ads for tapatalks "clients"

***recently ( in the last 6 months ) there have been one or two people, no more than a handful of over 70K membership ( who do not appreciate the security problems that it entails ) asking about "site chat" being hosted here..it hasn't happened..site admin, it appears, knows the risks far outweigh any benefits.and also "chat" would not be indexable, to search engines, conversations, and any mention of leather therein, would not be publicly viewable, so would bring no flowers, only tears and hackers.

Edited by mikesc

@MikeSC - you should share receipts - yummy :P

haven´t even heard of tapatalk (have to google it) ...

EDIT:

seems I don´t need it :dunno:

recipes ?..If I have the time :-)
tapatalk..no..you don't need it, nor does anyone else..and it makes your smartphone much more vulnerable to being hacked ,pwned if you install it, and that is without all the spying that it does to you while it is on your phone, writing* attacks and hacks against smartphones is made so much easier because of all the crap apps and spyware that people install on them.

* most "skiddies" don't write exploits..they buy them. Writing exploits ( or any code ) is not hard, but nowadays, amongst all the other things that people are too lazy to do, writing code of any sort is also too much effort for many..so much so that there are even apps for that too.
Edited by mikesc

adding to this: I hope the owner of this site never goes over to the dark-side of Tapatalk

I'm on other forums who's original hosts were taken over by T. 

T keeps making changes to the forums without consulting the forum owners. Then the forum owner has to spend many hours, even days, to undo what T. changed

Just recently T decided we all needed to have one user name and one password to access all the forums on T. This was accompanied by a demand that we needed to pay $2.99 per day per forum to access the forums. One owner got that sorted tho and it was dropped, but in the meantime several forum members deleted their accounts.

Since T took over the forums they have not been user friendly, the changes can come at any time and some aspects of each thread in a forum can be a lottery as how it functions, eg, in one thread I can edit a message,  a similar message in the same forum I cannot edit, in some I can post pictures, in some I cannot

After running a number of commercial web sites from 2003 through to 2017, I cam to the simple conclusion about all the apps,

Keep it simple and do your own thing,

Life is far to complicated just keeping up with required changes to update software you actually need, and most updates are not user friendly, and guaranteed to take far longer than you were informed

KISS is the best solution

Edited by chrisash