rlg999

Can someone help me figure out how to adjust the hook timing on this Emdeko machine?

Hello guys and gals. I originally joined this forum a while back to find out about adjustment on my Consew 225 machine. I found the info I needed and was able to get the machine up and going.  Now I have a new project. It's an old EMDEKO sewing machine, I'm guessing late 60's early 70's vintage?? I can't figure out how to adjust the hook timing. Would some of you experts on these older machines care to watch the video link I've attached, and try to give me some pointers? Thank you very much!!! 

Richard

This LW forum is geared to towards leather sewing machines of the heavy duty industrial variety.  Hopefully there are other forums out there better suited to support domestic sewing machines.

If you're on Facebook, you may want to shoot FB member Sew Restored a message . Apparently your machine is a Emdeko/Morse model NH, made by Toyota. He seems to know about this model of domestic machine and how to fix them.

I stumbled across a parts diagram for your machine. It may be helpful. It's not clear to me how this design can even go out of timing. It seems all locked down with pins through shafts and other rigid connections.

emdeko-parts-diagram.jpg

OK Thanks! I'll give them a shout on Facebook. Thanks for the diagram!

You might try the Victorian Sweatshop forum too.  http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/?forum=501752

It's a forum dedicated to vintage and antique sewing machines.

Rodney

Are you using the correct needle system? A short needle would cause the timing to miss the mark.

If the needle system is correct, the needle bar #128 needs to be lowered in clamp #131. The diagram doesn't show if there is a set screw in part 131.

OK, thanks for the replies.

@rlg999

The usual needle system used in domestic sewing machines is system HAx1. If you have a package of needles the system should be printed on it. If you don't have a pack of needles, you can buy some at Joann Fabrics, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Walmart and anywhere sewing machines and accessories are sold.

28 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Are you using the correct needle system? A short needle would cause the timing to miss the mark.

If the needle bar is still descending when the tip of the hook passes, something is most definitely wrong, regardless of needle system or needle bar height. 

It still appears to me that even when it reaches BDC, the needle is too high. If this is the case, the needle bar is too high or the wrong, too short needle is installed.

I have the correct 15x1 needle that was recommended by several people installed on the machine.  I agree, it looks like the needle should go down a little bit more than it is, but I don't see any way to adjust the height.  I've been chatting with someone on another forum, and he seems to think that the machine is actually out of time, but, like you guys say, everything seems to be pinned so it should be impossible to get out of time....?? By looking at the drawing above, I've got a couple ideas on how I can put it in time, but they involve cutting or other modifications to the existing parts. I'll update here once I find a fix, just in case it pops up in the future.  Thanks again for all the input.

39 minutes ago, rlg999 said:

I have the correct 15x1 needle that was recommended by several people installed on the machine.  I agree, it looks like the needle should go down a little bit more than it is, but I don't see any way to adjust the height.  I've been chatting with someone on another forum, and he seems to think that the machine is actually out of time, but, like you guys say, everything seems to be pinned so it should be impossible to get out of time....?? By looking at the drawing above, I've got a couple ideas on how I can put it in time, but they involve cutting or other modifications to the existing parts. I'll update here once I find a fix, just in case it pops up in the future.  Thanks again for all the input.

Have you considered finding a sewing machine repair shop that deals with domestic machines?

You should try to figure out how the needle bar is secured to the clamp that drives it and what it takes to loosen it, move the bar down, then secure it at the correct height.

I have an Emdeko JA21 Sewing Machine and SCHMETZ leather Needles 130/705 HLL 110/18. Are these the right needles.