panku82

I Need Help!!

Guys I did this seat and I air brushed on my dye using a mix of  Briar Brown,  Red with a 1/2 oz water . Both dyes are Eco FLo.  I made my own sealant using Bees Wax and a variety of oils (all high quality) but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to seal (I even used Satin sheen (5 coats airbrushed on) the first time) but the second any water hits it I lose my color and it leaves spots.  I'm trying to figure out why I can't get my dye to seal in. HELP!!!!

No automatic alt text available.

I consider the eco flo dyes as flammable fluids not leather dyes... I use the fiebings pro oil dyes and their “seal” nicely, I also made a mixture of beeswax and neadsfoot oil and it and the Aussie leather conditioner works ecseptionaly well looks good though.

Edited by Carson

I've never had problems with the eco's before but this is the first time I've tried mixing them to come up with a different color and I'm new to air brushing ... didn't know if maybe these had something to do with it .... I dyed the seat again today and let the seat dry in the sun for a good hour between coats (5 coats) then applied my own sealant in 3 heavy coats then did a conditioner I made .... again just now I wetted down a towel and all the work I did today just wiped right off ... I'm at a major loss here ... TY for replying Carson

Edited by panku82

So I went from this first pic to the second with a wipe of a wet towel

seat.jpg

20180109_012603.jpg

Is the dye penetrating into the leather at all? Have you dyed this leather previously successfully.? Is the dye holding in place well and is it just your sealing coats playing up? 

it seems like the black is getting in but the rest isn't penetrating maybe?  as you can see in the pic my black fade from the lace and in the tooled lines seems to be staying pretty well. And no Rocky this was a fresh piece that I tooled out from a 3-4 oz veggie tanned leather and I hit it with Olive Oil and let it fully dry before I tried to dye it the first time ... Also I tried the sealant on a piece of the same leather that I made a wrist bracer out of and dyed it ... used the sealant and it was water proof when I finished it, didn't lose any dye at all and with a lot less drying time

Edited by panku82

That is a nice looking job panku82. I have never used olive oil as you have and can only assume you have done previously and are comfortable with using it. I can only think that the combination mix you have come up with is able to react with the eco flo. I don't know but I think the only solution is to make up a few sample bits and get them to the same stage and then try going through a few cleaners and see which will give you the best dry feeling finish to try again, with a different finish of course. I would check your local shoe repair shops for a product for cleaning shoes before they are colour changed. It would normally be caller preparer in one brand or another. I can not think of any thing else I'm sorry. Brian

ok that's a idea of where to start ... I very much appreciate your taking time to comment and help!! And Thank You ... took a lot of work because I can't draw for crap so took me a while to come up with that design LoL  

Edited by panku82

Your welcome ....I just hope you can get it to work out alright.

:) everything always works out in the end my friend ... just how long does it take and how much work does one have to put in to get it to where we are satisfied with it! lol  ... again much appreciated!

Edited by panku82

one of the cleaners.....you could try saddle soap. Long dry time but if you really get a suds going and work it deep, it shouldn't hurt anything I would think.

I used to shoe repair ...years ago...this was stage one on a complete re dye for shoes.

I've kind of given up on the ecoflo  products, pretty much only use Fiebings now and have had a lot better success. Their pro oil dyes are very easy to apply, and I haven't had the problems with dye streaking and such. That seat looks awesome hope you can salvage it!

You wondered if the problem might have been related to using airbrush, I use airbrush and spray for nearly all my work and it never gives a problem, sometimes it doesn't provide the same degree of penetration as a dauber but it's never been a problem, I think I'd be looking at the thought of putting a water based material on top of an oil based one such as Olive oil, as per what Rocky Ausie mentioned. 

Good luck.

I've never used olive oil on my leather or EcoFlo water based products, but remember, olive oil and water don't mix. Probably what happened is that the oil is dry on the surface and not inside the leather, preventing the the water dyes to be absorbed and keep the colour!

TY all for the replies ... yeah guess I really didn't think it out that well about using oil and a water base. I thought I let it dry out enough but like Kitten said with the lesser penetration of the dye when airbrushing that may have been the problem. TY ALL so much for the help.  I just did a scrub of the seat with the saddle soap then set it in front of a warm blower to dry quicker and then used a direct rub in dye. I will post how it goes when I'm done with it hopefully today. Thanks again guys so very much appreciated!! Oh Yeah and Thanks Bigfoote I appreciate the comment on the  how the seat looks!

Edited by panku82

One more thing, although the water based over oil...that should be enough. I usually let coats dry overnight or 24 hours between applications. Even with heating, sometimes not letting the drying occur over long enough time will cause any number of issues. I'm basically in WAY to big of a rush to get to the next step, and have had to really change my attitude regarding drying times. Heck, I just did it two days ago with Tan-Kote too early over some dye. You'd think I'd learn, but then you don't know how bad I've the rushing thing.

LoL sounds familiar Alpha (looks in mirror) I do that too much I guess because of only having limited time being able to only really get into it on my days off. But, with that said I did rush it a bit today but think I managed to do a reasonable salvage job.  while I couldn't get back to the original color I had, I am at least pleased enough to put this on my bike. I just finished it, sealed it and tested it by pouring water on it and the water beaded up and ran off so think I'm good to go now!  Again to everyone I can't express enough how much I appreciate your help and advise!!!  Thank You!!!

seat1.jpg

Looks real nice and well saved.:yes:

Ty Sir I appreciate it!

You're rockin' it! Looks great! You're not gonna sit on that, are you???

LoL well kinda have to ... it's tiring to ride my Harley without sitting down B)

Ty for  the kind words though much appreciated!

Good job!  I'll bet that lacing took foooorrrrevvvvveeerrrr! :lol:

agree - that lacing does look awesome. It looks like a Mexican round braid.

If it is, you have got some serious time invested.

Thank you folks!  CZ you called it that is the braid I used. I also made my own lace ... took about a day and a half to do the actual  lacing and another day to make the lace. 

Thank you for the kind words much appreciated!

Well guys just an update ... my restoration attempt didn't work. The dye is fading rapidly after just a couple weeks soooo..... yep I'm having to redo the whole thing. I greatly appreciate all of you taking time to help and I will show you the new seat once I've finished it.  At least now I get to correct some errors I know I made in the first rendition (besides the dye job) and I did find a new way of putting the pattern on leather. I used graphite paper and just traced my drawing with a pencil. It gave me great lines and they don't wash off with water when I'm tooling!  Talk to you all soon.

Edited by panku82