panku82

I Need Help!!

44 minutes ago, panku82 said:

Well guys just an update ... my restoration attempt didn't work. The dye is fading rapidly after just a couple weeks soooo..... yep I'm having to redo the whole thing. I greatly appreciate all of you taking time to help and I will show you the new seat once I've finished it.  At least now I get to correct some errors I know I made in the first rendition (besides the dye job) and I did find a new way of putting the pattern on leather. I used graphite paper and just traced my drawing with a pencil. It gave me great lines and they don't wash off with water when I'm tooling!  Talk to you all soon.

Panku82 - sorry to hear about your project - we all have a pile of discards and that's how we learn!

I like your idea of using graphite paper - I just ordered some to try!

Gary

Very cool Gary, I know I like the result I got from it but I can't take credit for the idea. I read about it when I was reading up on doing pyrography on leather. It was a suggested method and I thought the same thing of "That is a great idea and why the hell didn't I think of that!!"  hope you like it as much as I do!

Ever heard that water and oil dont mix? I think that may be what is going on here. If you insist on using water based dyes I wouldn't apply any oils to the leather prior to dying. Just my two cents. You did a lot of nice work. The dying process always gives me the heebee jeebees. Try a different process on scrap before you work on your final piece. Best of luck.

hey thanks for joining the party late Bodean but yeah as was covered earlier!! ... just playin my man! :)  Thank you for your nice comments on my work ... Like I said I was just playing and I really do appreciate you taking time to read it and comment.And yeah I get the "heebee jeebees" alot when I'm trying to dye especially when I have a effect in mind and I'm trying to pull it off like getting a reddish effect to go with my bikes' red tank and fenders. but I read a great quote which said that every piece no matter how much we do is an experiment and we just hope it works lol ... Thank you again my friend much appreciated!

Edited by panku82

On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, panku82 said:

took a lot of work because I can't draw for crap so took me a while to come up with that design

I hope I can be as bad as you at drawing one day. Excellent drawing and really great carving. I hope you are able to redo your piece to your satisfaction.

Edited by Rockoboy

That's a bummer, all that great work! I was going to ask what type of lace that was, looks better than the stuff I buy. Is it calf or Kangaroo or some other critter?

1 hour ago, Bigfoote said:

I was going to ask what type of lace that was

it's actually just a veg tanned side of 2 oz leather that I used and cut it with one of those inexpensive lace makers. and thanks for the sympathy on having to redo it all ! 

8 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I hope I can be as bad as you at drawing one day

lol thanks Rockoboy, it's a struggle for me it honestly is.  When I started learning I read a thing that really gave me the patience to keep trying and that was just remember when we started learning our handwriting as kids it wasn't that good but you keep at it and you write better and better. I thought yeah that is true! And then I thought Holy Shit I'm never gonna be very good at drawing if it's anything like my handwriting and I've been doing that for 50+years ...  ;)  

Edited by panku82

10 hours ago, panku82 said:

And then I thought Holy Shit I'm never gonna be very good at drawing

I reckon you are too hard on yourself (but who amongst us isn't their own worst critic?).

Your drawings look great. I am interested to see more of your artwork.