CZoc

Leather wrapped wine decanter, Lost art?

Help needed.

I want to try and make one of these. I'm hoping for more information than the internet can supply. There is just not much out there.  I have about 10 months before a special wedding in my family. My grandparents had one of these made for the 50th wedding anniversary back in the 60's. It was very similar to these pictures and was custom made with their names and dates on it.  Here are my questions.

1) What kind of leather (or hide) do you suppose was used? (very thin - applied when wet I imagine)

2) Do they still make these? Where?      Most ones I've seen are "made in Italy", or Spain, some in Mexico.

3) Has anyone ever made one or know someone who has?

4) What kind of paint ? Did they carve or stamp or?  As I recall, it was adorned with a type of paint that had a reflective quality. Not gold leaf, but gave that impression. other colors were dark and rich. Very middle age looking colors and style.

Any direction or input would help. I'm going do make one for sure, but I would like to understand the process, if there is one.

wb1.jpg

wb2.jpg