Hey guys, I have a fella' wanting me to try and match this color on a rifle sling but I'm limited on my dyes/antiques. I have some saddle tan antique that is close to the figure carving in the middle of the sling pictured here, but I'm not sure what I'm gonna' do to get that darker color for the main body of the sling. I was thinking maybe neatsfoot oil or olive oil either over or under the antique...Anyways any suggestions or recommendations on color would be greatly appreciated.

OLD RIFLE SLING.jpg

The main body looks like an oil tanned leather. I'm saying that because the carving is inset and they didn't burnish the edges. I'd go with Fiebings Tan or a light brown. This of course if you are using veg tan throughout the piece. The carving to me looks British Tan. The orangyness of it. Others may have better or different ideas.

Edited by Mattsbagger

I believe you're right Mattsbagger. I was just hoping to be able to use what I had, but I may just get some different dye. Thanks.

Many years ago when I first started leatherworking, I made a holster and dyed it with a antique stain. The thing is, it came out a dark wine/purple shade. I have yet to find this shade again in 35 years. I have a feeling the gent in the shop where I first started, (the base hobby shop at NATTC Memphis, TN) may have mixed several partial containers of antique stain as a cost cutting measure. I have come fairly close by mixing Oxblood dye to Mahogany antique finish. Kind of odd, but it worked.