chasman52

PFAFF 1445 , How much play can the hook have

It's been awhile since I last posted about my machine. Thanks again to everyone.

My main concern is in the hook there is aleast 3/16" play. By that I mean if I hold the main shaft still the hook"s point can travel 3/16'  before the slack in the bevel gears stops it.

I could move the bevel gear on the main shaft closer if needed, but only  if there is to much play.

Since the manual is not specific about how much play is required I'm seeking you all's input The manual only says" not to close ,not to far".

It is running ok, but gets very slack when in a curve with 138 or larger thread.. I suppose that could be me. I'm not sure if I'm operating it that well.

Although with 69 thread it's much easier to turn.

I'd say 3/16" (almost 5mm) is way too much play in the hook rotation. Aside from potentially causing hook timing and skipped stitch problems, the cone gears are likely to be more noisy and probably wear quicker when they're not meshed properly. On my Pfaff 145 the hook driving cone gears are tightly meshed and have almost no play between them at all. The hook itself has perhaps 1mm play at the tip, but it does not originate in the hook driving cone gear meshing (I suspect some play between the hook driving pin and the mating hole on the bottom of the hook.) Here's a video snippet of me wiggling the gears and the hook on my Pfaff 145 just for reference:

THanks UWE, my hook has way over double that much play. I'll closed up the play to about .060. It's not stiff or tight, but it's not loose

Edited by chasman52