Hello all, 

I hope each of you are doing well.  Just wanted to share a holster I finished up this week.  Comments and Critique are always welcome.  Enjoy!

Scott 

large_4543.jpg.926a3f6bef4be1a6c440aaa5c792b58c.jpglarge_4545.jpg.6969f62aa9fa67f29bbb7a5d0d663505.jpglarge_454.jpg.6efb5f344345a1084d7471202a639b56.jpglarge_4541.jpg.71103cb09cd554b459832e8174cb6d14.jpglarge_4544.jpg.1a3c64ca733f9778421bdbd4dfa28202.jpg

Very nice! Did you background the whole thing or is that the natural texture of the leather? If you textured it yourself can you explain how you did it?

Did you make the belt, too? 

I see only one thing I would do differently. I would leave a little extra leather past the snap to make it a little easier to pop open with your finger.

Again, great work!

-Ryan

large_4543.jpg.926a3f6bef4be1a6c440aaa5c792b58c.jpg.aee68aae4e538afb363104bb911e565a.jpg

Edited by Rolandranch

Hi there Ryan, 

I didn't make the belt, just liked the two of them together.  :D  I agree with you on the strap end and it would have been better to do it a little longer.  The good thing is this particular snap will release with rolling the edge of your finger on it.  You don't have to grab it (if that makes sense)  

The background was tooled using a matting stamp and it was only done in the section on the front.  I appreciate the kind words.

Scott

Very nice work Scott, like the texture look and the line of cross hatching just gives it an extra depth.

Nice work there Firewalker! *thumbs up*

Scott, that’s a cool looking holster!  Do you always use a closed toe design or do you switch between open and closed?

I prefer the open design, but I have made them both ways.

Gary

5 hours ago, Waranafella said:

Very nice work Scott, like the texture look and the line of cross hatching just gives it an extra depth.

Thank you very much!

5 hours ago, JMcC said:

Nice work there Firewalker! *thumbs up*

Thank you!

51 minutes ago, garypl said:

Scott, that’s a cool looking holster!  Do you always use a closed toe design or do you switch between open and closed?

I prefer the open design, but I have made them both ways.

Gary

Hi there Gary, Thank you very much.  Honestly I have only made a handful of holsters and this is the first one of this type.  This one is open toe but I needed just a little more squeeze to keep the "smokewagon"  (Ha, love that term) from settling down too deep in the holster.  It has adjustable rear sights and I didn't want the pressure of the holster to effect how they are set because of the spring.  I will take another pic of the toe to show you what I mean.  

Ryan I do think I am going to re do that strap.  1. Because I can.  2.  Even though it is functional as is... I think it will just look better.  3.  It gives me an excuse to play with leather.  

Thanks to all for the interest.  I hope you are doing well.

Scott

2 hours ago, Firewalker said:

Hi there Gary, Thank you very much.  Honestly I have only made a handful of holsters and this is the first one of this type.  This one is open toe but I needed just a little more squeeze to keep the "smokewagon"  (Ha, love that term) from settling down too deep in the holster.  It has adjustable rear sights and I didn't want the pressure of the holster to effect how they are set because of the spring.  I will take another pic of the toe to show you what I mean. 

Now that I took a closer look I do see that the stitching doesn't go all the way around the toe!  Good point about the rear sight - you could also mold the leather a bit around the cylinder to keep the revolver from going too deep in the holster.  That's what I like about leather working - so many different ways to do things and I am always learning!

Gary

23 hours ago, garypl said:

Now that I took a closer look I do see that the stitching doesn't go all the way around the toe!  Good point about the rear sight - you could also mold the leather a bit around the cylinder to keep the revolver from going too deep in the holster.  That's what I like about leather working - so many different ways to do things and I am always learning!

Gary

That's a good idea too.  As I mentioned, This was a first for me so I am not sure if it's learning as I go or "winging it".  Laying it out on paper was a trick because I am not used to doing it and it turned out I needed to cut off 1.5"  of the toe.   It's funny how we always look at our work and say "I could have done this part better"  Live and learn.  The owner was absolutely tickled when he saw it so that was rewarding.  All the best!

Scott