spotty

Consew 199 Timing/Tension Reliabilty

i have a consew 199 and am having tremendous problems getting the machine to work reliably.    When sewing zigzag the top side looks ok but the underside looks like crap.    I've tried adjusting the tensions on the top and bottom bobbin numerous times and it may work for a short time and then start looking like crap again while sewing the same materials.    

I've checked the thread path is correct and clean and re-timed the hook, but it just seems to drift and I'm rather frustrated as to what to and where to start looking to get this machine working reliably.

Any suggestions for a plan of action.

44 minutes ago, spotty said:

i have a consew 199 and am having tremendous problems getting the machine to work reliably.    When sewing zigzag the top side looks ok but the underside looks like crap.    I've tried adjusting the tensions on the top and bottom bobbin numerous times and it may work for a short time and then start looking like crap again while sewing the same materials.    

I've checked the thread path is correct and clean and re-timed the hook, but it just seems to drift and I'm rather frustrated as to what to and where to start looking to get this machine working reliably.

Any suggestions for a plan of action.

Without seeing the problem we have no idea what to recommend. I recommend you do these things in a reply.

1. Post a video showing the problem develop
  2. Or, post photos showing the problem develop
  3. Show both the top and bottom results when they are good and when they go bad.
  4. Let us know the type, make and size of the thread and the needle size and point in use.

When sewing zigzag the top side looks ok but the underside looks like crap.

Agree with Wiz..."crap" covers a multitude of sins...so photos of the "crap"..or better still video.

Edited by mikesc

The following shows some examples.   I'd retimed the machine and then started with some straight stitching.   From left to right I would increase the tension a bit.   Using contrasting threads - red on the top, white on the bobbin.   Bottom stitching never looks particularly straight - till I got something that looks OK. (its not dropping stitches).   Then without adjusting tension I start doing some zig zags.   Now with all the zigzag I never adjust the tension further I'm simply adjusting the stitch length and width and then I'm seeing somewhat of the opposite to what I was seeing before - ie.   the top side starts looking wonky but the bottom side looks reasonable.   I checked the thread path was correct.   

Pics

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtNFQZ6-n-pbkp0Di6bm-zJN5qXkvg

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtNFQZ6-n-pbkp0EDrSg98ErX35mSw

This machine is just frustrating getting it to sew consistently.   More so than the other machines I use.

Either the top tension is tightening or the bobbin tension is loosening as you zig-zag. I also see white knots beginning to show on the straight stitches, going towards the zig-zags. Check the following to see if any apply to your situation.

• Is the top thread overly bonded and coming off the spool with different tensions as it unwinds? If so, try a different spool.
  • Is the thread feeding straight up to a thread guide on the thread stand?
  • Does the thread twist over itself, or over posts/guides along the path to the tension disks? Twisty thread causes all manner of trouble.
  • Remove the top tension disks and clean out any foreign material.
  • If the tension disks have thread gouges, replace them.
  • Make sure you are feeding the top thread around the check spring and it has a good range of motion up and down.
  • If the top thread path is unrestricted, move on down to the bobbin thread and pull out a few feet of thread. Does the tension vary?
  • If the bobbin thread tension varies, it could be because of a fragment under the bobbin tension spring. Check under the bobbin spring.
  • If the bobbin spring isn't blocked, examine the bobbin to see if it is out of round as it turns. If so, replace it.
  • Also check for protruding thread stubs coming out of the bobbin.

"Pics" are posted here ( uploaded to leatherworker.net )..not elsewhere , where they can disappear when 1drv.ms ( who I, and many others, members or visitors, have no intention of going to, as it means authorising all of MS tracking scripts and cookies ) or g drive or drop box or imgur etc ( (who require that one accepts their cookies and tracking and those of the 3rd parties that they use ) all of whom at any moment may ( will ) decide to make their "service" something which has to be paid for, and when they do so your links will simply 404..post your images here, if you want people to see them..and if you want them to still be visible in a year from now., to anyone else who might be having the same problems that you are.

Normally Wiz would tell you the same re "3rd party hosting"..

Edited by mikesc

The following shows some examples.   I'd retimed the machine and then started with some straight stitching.   From left to right I would increase the tension a bit.   Using contrasting threads - red on the top, white on the bobbin.   Bottom stitching never looks particularly straight - till I got something that looks OK. (its not dropping stitches).   Then without adjusting tension I start doing some zig zags.   Now with all the zigzag I never adjust the tension further I'm simply adjusting the stitch length and width and  then I'm seeing somewhat of the opposite to what I was seeing before - ie.   the top side starts looking wonky but the bottom side looks reasonable.   I checked the thread path was correct.   

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Either the top tension is tightening or the bobbin tension is loosening as you zig-zag. I also see white knots beginning to show on the straight stitches, going towards the zig-zags. Check the following to see if any apply to your situation.

• Is the top thread overly bonded and coming off the spool with different tensions as it unwinds? If so, try a different spool.
  • Is the thread feeding straight up to a thread guide on the thread stand?
  • Does the thread twist over itself, or over posts/guides along the path to the tension disks? Twisty thread causes all manner of trouble.
  • Remove the top tension disks and clean out any foreign material.
  • If the tension disks have thread gouges, replace them.
  • Make sure you are feeding the top thread around the check spring and it has a good range of motion up and down.
  • If the top thread path is unrestricted, move on down to the bobbin thread and pull out a few feet of thread. Does the tension vary?
  • If the bobbin thread tension varies, it could be because of a fragment under the bobbin tension spring. Check under the bobbin spring.
  • If the bobbin spring isn't blocked, examine the bobbin to see if it is out of round as it turns. If so, replace it.
  • Also check for protruding thread stubs coming out of the bobbin.

Thread is good - occurs on whatever E-Thread I run through the machine.

Thread is feeding straight through the guides on thread stand.

Thread seems to run fairly straight.

(If I use the thread in the Consew 206 it works with zero problems and the problem occurs on different spools and bobbins)

No material in tension disks - but removed and cleaned anyway.

No gouges in tension disk.  

It does go correctly around check spring but not really much movement in spring when sewing.   But spring does seem to be fairly stiff (Probably more so than on the 290 machine)

Tension on bottom thread (bobbin) seems pretty consistent.   I'll check under the bobbin spring.  No protruding threads from the bobbbin.

I can try another bobbin to see if that makes makes difference.    

I will try a few more things tommorrow.

Cleaning up the entire thread path and cleaning between the tension disks did help - although its still not perfect its much better.   The check spring still seems quite stiff in comparison to my consew 290 machine.   So I'm not sure if there is much adjustment that can be done with regard to the checkspring or if that would make much of a difference.   I'm going to sew a whole load more material to determine how consistent the machine is - by only adjusting stitch width and length and seeing how consistent the stitches are.

3 hours ago, spotty said:

The check spring still seems quite stiff in comparison to my consew 290 machine.   So I'm not sure if there is much adjustment that can be done with regard to the checkspring or if that would make much of a difference.

Au contraire! There are usually two, if not three adjustments that can be made to a sewing machine check spring. Those include travel, tautness and loop size. I'm not a professional sewing machine mechanic so I don't know how much adjustment your check spring allows. Consult a parts or user's manual, or contact a professional industrial sewing machine dealer who deals with Consew.

Two things that may help;

Consew 146 and 199 series need a lot of upper tension.  

Like any zig zag where the hook timing is being split needle bar height is a critical and sensitive adjustment.

Do what is in the book first, then follow the text instructions.  Normally, needle scarf comes in high on one side and low on the other.  Very common for the needle to be pushed out of the way on one side if this is not done correctly.  Often, it's a see touch feel type of adjustment.  

146 199 Timing.JPG

146 199 Needl Height.JPG

One more thing that may help;

Bobbincase199.jpg.3992585aae4be16dbaac0daa6bae631a.jpg

Definately not threading in that part of the bobbin case.       After much further tweaking it now appears to be adequately zig zagging.      I can adjust the width and length and the tensions look reasonably consistent.

I'll continue to continue to tweak but it looks acceptable for the most part.   I did nothing different except for clean every part with compressed air and wipe clean the tension disks.