Sign in to follow this  

Notepad for wife

Sometime ago I mentioned a notepad that I was doing for my wife's birthday. I did finish it and now show it to you all. It is from a Chan Geer tape that was actually rather well done.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

post-327-1181271784_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181271811_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181271874_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181271886_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181271903_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181271913_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Thats beautiful work David, and I love the color.

Ken

very nice Dave

Very Nice.

What do you sew with and how do you sew.

I have noticed it before on your seats..... your sewing is very distinctive.

Very nice gift and very well done. I just sent in application to Chan Geer workshop at IFoLG.

Very nice Dave.

Hmmmm, candyleather that's a tough choice!

Tim bought me a beautiful set of jewelry when our son was born - sapphire and diamond - but leatherwork can be alot more versatile and useful.

Edited by wildrose

Very Nice.

What do you sew with and how do you sew.

I have noticed it before on your seats..... your sewing is very distinctive.

Joel,

I'm sorry I missed your question; I guess it is distictive because Iam such a rookie at it! I use a Tandy product, I think it is called braided sinew. It is creme to yellowish in color and is waxed. I sew by hand...no stitching pony.

Dave Theobald

Dandy present.

Dave if your interested here is My Buddies website tutorial for building a pony,much like i made a couple of mine ( i tricked mine out even more) My freind Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose Leather)does all his leather by handstitching and is a master of it. I made one like what you see in the tutorial and one I mounted on a panavise.

Wild Rose Leather stitch pony tutorial

Edited by Romey

Dandy present.

Dave if your interested here is My Buddies website tutorial for building a pony,much like i made a couple of mine ( i tricked mine out even more) My freind Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose Leather)does all his leather by handstitching and is a master of it. I made one like what you see in the tutorial and one I mounted on a panavise.

Wild Rose Leather stitch pony tutorial

Romey,

Thanks so much for the website, I've printed it out.

Dave Theobald

Your very welcome, One thing i did that the tutorial doesnt show is adding a spring around the bolt so one has pressure opening and closing, taking up the slop of the jaws. This way ya dont have to try and hold the leather your sewing , tighten the pony up AND hold the jaws closed.

Thanks Romey, I actually made my tree using this design and didn't know about the spring..

David I was just wondering thickness of leather you used on this

Hi Matthew,

I believe I used some 4oz that I had in my shop. I found a really clean and clear piece at my local Tandy.

Dave

Hi David, Romey, and MatthewD, I too made basically the same thing, but at the time didn't have the tutorial about making it. I did basically the same thing except haven't put a spring on yet. One other thing I did different is being short of leg and big of gut, LOL, since I had to quit working it's growing by leaps and bounds. I made mine about 30 or 32 inches tall, somewhere around that height. I put a piece of 6" decking board on the bottom, and sit on the couch or in a chair and hold it with my feet insead of putting it under my legs. I even took my old Tandy Stitching Pony and modified it similar to that way, as I'm trying to get my wife started lacing and stitching too. I've found the longer version to work better, with easier to hold, get to the tightening nut, and if I take a break, I just move it back and it stays up until I get back. I do believe that later on, I'll change the decking board out for a short maybe 12 to 18" piece of 1x8 or 1x10" board. That would be thinner on the feet and even more stable when I walk off from it. Anyway the info is free and if you can use it go for it. I do hope it helps someone. One more thing is if you don't have time or just don't want to make one yourself, Dale Grabowski of Grandpa's Pasttime.com makes a sit and stitch that he sells. Billy P

Sometime ago I mentioned a notepad that I was doing for my wife's birthday. I did finish it and now show it to you all. It is from a Chan Geer tape that was actually rather well done.

Dave Theobald

Very nice work, Have you given it to your wife yet?

Best Wishes

Ted