filipblaauw

Belt straps cut at 41-42 mm - suggestions on buckles?

I made my first trip to a tannery outlet, and got them to cut me some straps of 40 mm. When measuring them after I got home, they are approx 41,4 mm (see picture). Maybe they did not compensated for the blades. Now I realize that my choices of buckles is very limited, as it seems that most of the buckles out there have a inner width of 40mm. 

Does anybody have suggestions on heel bar buckles that would fit straps of 41-42 mm? Maybe in this style: https://www.buckleguy.com/1035-1-1-2-nickel-plate-heel-bar-buckle-solid-brass-ll/
I know there are buckles for 1 3/4" width. Are they going to be too big if belt is 41mm wide? 

I really don't want to re-cut all my straps and trying to cut off 1,4 mm - I just don't think I will get any good results. Or is this possible with a strap cutter?

The next time I will measure it before paying..

IMG_0847.jpg

Edited by filipblaauw

1 3/4 is 44mm. It is possible with a strap cutter. Try on scrap and go slow and make sure blade is SHARP.

If they agreed to cut straps 40 mm, give them back and tell them to try again.  This type of thing is so frequent its' becoming the 'norm'.  Many "businesses" will continue it as long as it's tolerated.  You COULD sand the edges down (it really only needs to fit the buckle on the ends), but I would contend that you shouldn't HAVE to.

I've been pretty flexible over the years, actually.  But that was when there was an OCCASIONAL mix up, and people were good to fix it.  Not so much the case either way any more.

Thanks for your replies, I just tested with beveling the edges and sand it smooth, and it fits - even if it's a bit tight. I don't think I want to go back to them, as I stood beside them when they did the cutting. I should have double checked the measurements. Also, it's a one day journey to the tannery.

A bit frustrated after my first belt leather purchase. Next time I will order uncut pieces and cut myself.

Thanks again!

What thickness of leather did you use?