micktx

Hand Crank Mechanism for Singer 29-4

Hey Folks,

Wondering if there is a mechanism to turn my 29-4 into a hand crank?

3 hours ago, micktx said:

Hey Folks,

Wondering if there is a mechanism to turn my 29-4 into a hand crank?

Look for a bolt-on Brodie knob for the flywheel. The knob should be adjusted so it has enough clearance to turn freely, letting you hand spin the flywheel. Many 29 models already have this handle installed. Auto parts stores and Walmart usually sell them, as do many sewing machine dealers.

I think Wiz is referring to the Knob you can add to the hand wheel.  There is a spot on the hand wheel you can drill and then add the knob so it makes it a crank.

Also - you can get a few parts and move the hand wheel to the side of the machine.  Those parts can be hard to come by if they didn't come with your machine.

5a5cd812192d5_Singer29-4handwhel.jpg.67f929f80d3cdc69f261b48c0797a55b.jpg

5a5cda61e6dab_Singer29-4handwhel2.jpg.c0f804974306adf67a779937ad45065f.jpg

I just stick my finger between the spokes on the wheel on my 29-4, and spin it that way.   Mine turns quite easily, because it's well oiled.   Never saw the need for a hand crank on it.   Mine has a treadle, but I never use it.

I have brand new Chinese wheels with the timber handle

Not sure what else you need but I may have the hub and shaft as well.

20180113_204554.jpg

Edited by Darren Brosowski
ADD Picture

They have a 29-4 so 29K the hub & shaft won't fit,since it only has 2-holes & the 29K hub has 3.

Wow!  Thanx for all of the response.  Really do appreciate it.  I'll be looking for the pieces-parts to convert.

Do you just need just a knob for the hand wheel or a complete conversion to a front crank as Yetibele it has shown? The complete conversion kit (if it will fit at all) for sure will cost a lot of money - not sure if it is really worth converting a 100 years old machine that way.  However - you only can convert to front crank if a gear is mounted on the top shaft in front of the drive cam. Open the rear cover and check. If there is no gear you have to pull the top shaft and install a gear. Pulling the top shaft means disassembling almost the complete machine. And thats really not worth it - in my opinion.

Thanx Constabulary.  I'm finding out that the complete conversion is going to be a few ducats.  Will probably go with the Knob.

I believe the 29-4 does not have the front tooth cam gear that is bolted to the top shaft.  It has the back half of the gear that the pitman arm fits in but not the forward section that the short shaft gear mates to drive the front mounted shaft that comes thru the hub.  Some of the early 29K's had the front mounted shaft on certain models but not the 29-4.   Changing means pulling the top shaft plus the bub will not mount to the casting because of a different  face plate.

glenn

Thanx  Shoepatcher,

Found that out the hard way.  LOL  At least that part machine is clean now.   Hard to learn the hard.  :crazy:

On 1/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Yetibelle said:

I think Wiz is referring to the Knob you can add to the hand wheel.  There is a spot on the hand wheel you can drill and then add the knob so it makes it a crank.

Also - you can get a few parts and move the hand wheel to the side of the machine.  Those parts can be hard to come by if they didn't come with your machine.

5a5cd812192d5_Singer29-4handwhel.jpg.67f929f80d3cdc69f261b48c0797a55b.jpg

5a5cda61e6dab_Singer29-4handwhel2.jpg.c0f804974306adf67a779937ad45065f.jpg

where can I get a set like this?