Rossr

My try at a Padfolio

Well made up a padfolio for myself.   Never made one for a full sized tablet before.     Veg tan flaps inside and business card holder and front and back parts.  Dyed Fiebings Mahogany.   Black part was wicket and Craig veg tan dyed black.  Oak leaves carved and petal lifted(First time trying that and I like it)  Letter R and Shield also carved.   The back and parts of the front stamped using a basketweave stamp to make the arrow patterns.  Sewing was don't by machine on a Juki LU-563 using 138 Black Nylon Thread.  Inside the Blue is Pig suede.   Just liked the look.   I only had 8-9 ounce leather on hand for the front and back In the future I would use thinner...6-7 ounce at most I think.    Although it made it nice to carve and stamp.  Fun project and it came out ok in my opinion.   Always learning

Ross

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: 1 personNo automatic alt text available.

Just now, kiwican said:

That's some mighty fine work 

Thank you sir....still much to improve though!

That rocks!  I don't think I could keep that basket pattern straight in my head, let alone on leather. Love the hidden pen holder and the blue liner.  I like the finish on the spine:  I thought it was bridle leather until I read your description. What color did you use to dye the body?  Any antique at all?

YinTx

Great stuff! Now I need to come up with a reason I need one. Oh, I forgot...Guy wants=needs. 

Great job!

I'm working on a portfolio now too, no tooling just a nice italian veg tan with a pigment coat... so much stitching.

I have yet to attempt a Baskett weave for fear of going insane...er

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

That rocks!  I don't think I could keep that basket pattern straight in my head, let alone on leather. Love the hidden pen holder and the blue liner.  I like the finish on the spine:  I thought it was bridle leather until I read your description. What color did you use to dye the body?  Any antique at all?

YinTx

Yin the only dye I used was fiebings mahogany.   Its more red in person which i like...looks darker in the picture.   That pattern really isnt that hard...and I have errors on it but I resisted the urge to restart.   I got that pattern from the Paul long sheath video.   you still work off a line when you start its just different orientation!   I know you could do it!!

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

Great stuff! Now I need to come up with a reason I need one. Oh, I forgot...Guy wants=needs. 

exactly Alpha2   thats why I know I have one.  I mean I had three already....granted nothing as fancy as this...but I sure didnt need one for function sake

1 hour ago, Dun said:

Wow that is pretty. Agree with yin, I can't process how to do a basket weave like that

Thanks Dun.....if I can do it anyone can....really!

1 hour ago, Wedgetail said:

Great job!

I'm working on a portfolio now too, no tooling just a nice italian veg tan with a pigment coat... so much stitching.

Wedge...I cheated and used a machine....  Thank you for the kind words looking forward to seeing yours

1 hour ago, kiwican said:

I have yet to attempt a Baskett weave for fear of going insane...er

Once you get on it the basket weave isnt too bad

Nice "try". My eyes get blurring looking at basket weave, especially the arrow pattern.

I made my fist one a while back just to see if I could. It eventually made it's way to Pennsylvania!

For future consideration, one thing I did that I found useful was not to stitch the left side of the pad pocket. Made it a lot easier to insert the pad, the pad does not move and it leaves the option to use a notebook rather than a pad.

Really looks great. Wicked pattern.

Are the photos long and skinny on everybody's screen?

18 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

Nice "try". My eyes get blurring looking at basket weave, especially the arrow pattern.

I made my fist one a while back just to see if I could. It eventually made it's way to Pennsylvania!

For future consideration, one thing I did that I found useful was not to stitch the left side of the pad pocket. Made it a lot easier to insert the pad, the pad does not move and it leaves the option to use a notebook rather than a pad.

Eric I like that idea....and it would make it a little easier to stitch too...cause I actually stitched that to the liner and then went around the rest.  That would eliminate that step

14 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Really looks great. Wicked pattern.

Are the photos long and skinny on everybody's screen?

Fills the whole screen on mine....  Thank you

Really nice job Ross!  I remember that basket weave on the knife sheath you posted - looks clearer in this project, but I still don’t think I will attempt it!  

Gary

Looks very good  nice work

9 hours ago, garypl said:

Really nice job Ross!  I remember that basket weave on the knife sheath you posted - looks clearer in this project, but I still don’t think I will attempt it!  

Gary

Gary  and all, I did a quick google search and found this video about it.   Around the 7 minute mark is the how to.  He just does one arrow row, but you just reverse and come the other way to make more.  Thanks for the kind words

9 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Looks very good  nice work

Thank you!

Edited by Rossr

Heh, heh, we all have things we're not willing to try...I feel the same way about basket weave as some of you. I have 2 stamps, and don't think I've ever used them.

I love to carve leather, while others on this board don't...

Very nice! I want to do a padfolio (never heard that term before, but it's a very accurate description!) for myself at some point, so this is an inspiration to me.

I want to try one of the Tandy catalogue designs. Hope I'm not being too ambitious, but ya never know until you try something!  :D

Tandy-Leather-Buyers-Guide-186-2012.pdf

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Heh, heh, we all have things we're not willing to try...I feel the same way about basket weave as some of you. I have 2 stamps, and don't think I've ever used them.

I love to carve leather, while others on this board don't...

Very nice! I want to do a padfolio (never heard that term before, but it's a very accurate description!) for myself at some point, so this is an inspiration to me.

I want to try one of the Tandy catalogue designs. Hope I'm not being too ambitious, but ya never know until you try something!  :D

Tandy-Leather-Buyers-Guide-186-2012.pdf

Thank you and exactly...got to try you will only learn and improve by trying....give it a go!

Quality craftsmanship!...Love the arrowhead stamping pattern, too.

Edited by Double Daddy

That is awesome!

5 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Quality craftsmanship!...Love the arrowhead stamping pattern, too.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That is awesome!

You are too kind!

That's some Groovy stamping! 

Looks great!  Another one on the Project List to get too.  You've inspired me to move it up the list.

13 hours ago, Popo425 said:

That's some Groovy stamping! 

:)

2 hours ago, Texson said:

Looks great!  Another one on the Project List to get too.  You've inspired me to move it up the list.

Lot of fun...look forward to seeing it