Hello everyone,

About a year and a half ago I got some great info from you all on a 1916 Singer 45k52 that I had picked up. That machine is working very well sewing heavy belts, holsters, knife sheaths, and small accessory bags.

I love the 45k but no one makes accessories for 100 year old machines. So now I'm looking for something a little more modern and lighter weight for sewing lighter and softer leathers.

I was thinking about a 206 RB but, while browsing online I found a Consew 339 RB-1. It's a 2 needle machine.

Questions:

1. Can a 2 needle machine be used with just 1 needle at a time?

2. Can It sew lighter, softer leathers such as, 2oz upholstery or garment, without skipping stitches. 

3. How much can it sew through/handle?

For example, 2 layers of 2oz upholstery with nylon webbing sandwiched between them?

How about 1 or 2 layers of 6oz veg?

4. Is there anything to watch out for with a 2 needle machine? Is it much different than a single needle?

I appreciate all of the advice I got last time. It was a huge help. 

Hopefully someone has some good info for me on this one too.

Consew 339RB-1, made by Seiko in Japan, is an excellent machine, double needle, walking foot, large bobbin with reverse and safety clutch.  

This best suited for V69 thread, but can sew lighter.  Most common uses are for canvas, upholstery.  

You can sew with one needle, but you will be limited to what you can sew with the double needle presser feet, and cannot install a cording or zipper foot.  Even regular free sewing can be an issue with the regular double needle feet.