JulieP

Vinegaroon AND black dye? How old can vinegaroon be?

Hi,

I have some vinegaroon that is about a year old.  Its been stored in a mason jar.  I tried a tester piece of leather and it worked fine and blackened the leather fairly quickly(2 minutes).  I neutralized and applied neatsfoot oil while it was still damp.  How long have you stored your vinegaroon.   I have read a few stories on here about vinegaroon dyed pieces fading over time.  I was wondering if anyone has ever applied a spirit black dye over vinegaroon.  I would think it might add a deeper black to the occasional issue of the vinegaroon being a dark gray sometimes.  I am guessing once the vinegaroon piece has been neutralized it should be ok to dye for the extra insurance that the piece stays a nice deep black?  

Thanks for any input!!

Edited by JulieP

as long as it's kept sealed, it should last a long time. I used to dye pieces after to get a little darker but I started using black shoe polish, only takes a moment and it's something the customer can do as well later.

Thank you Halitech.  It will be a tooled dog collar with white designs painted on.

If the vinegaron is still working (vinegar and steel wool still reacting), don't seal the lid.  Else if it decides to blowup, you will have a mess to clean up. 

Tom

What the heck is vinegaroon?? I always thought it was an insect here in the southwest...:o The more I read on these forums, the more I realize that I have a lot to learn still. Learning is a good thing!

20 hours ago, JMcC said:

What the heck is vinegaroon?? I always thought it was an insect here in the southwest...:o The more I read on these forums, the more I realize that I have a lot to learn still. Learning is a good thing!

Tons of posts here about making and using vinegaroon.  Do a search, too many for me to list!

The product of the reaction between vinegar (acid) and iron will react with the tannins in veg tanned leather to turn the leather blue/grey/black depending on various factors.  It is not a dye, so there is no chance of it rubbing off onto your nice white shirt.

Tom

Making Vinegaroon is a way to make a solution of ferric acetate, which then reacts with the tannins in veg tan leather.
pdf about it here
http://europa.org.au/files/vinegaroon.pdf
and source ( mentioned in the pdf ) with much more about the chemistry of it , and a few other things that may be of interest.
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4336
HTH :)

Btw..If you do anything with the "walnut recipe", and have access to a walnut tree, you can use the leaves of the tree ( not the nuts ) to make a very nice "wine"..or you can put a couple of good sized handfulls of the leaves into a spirit such as vodka, close the container with a cork, leave for at least 3 years to macerate and let the flavours develop..and then enjoy..leave 5 years is even better. It will take on a tawny brown colour eventually, it will be delicious. :) less than 3 years is "OK" , but 3 or more is better.Oops , nearly forgot , you'll need to pour it through a strainer / filter to get the leaf residue out before drinking.

Edited by mikesc

Thanks guys for the reply...will have to read up on that interesting subject! :)

After reading all of that, I think I will just stick with traditional black dye using Fiebing's. It was interesting, but it sounds like a pain in the posterior to me and too much work. :P 

Edited by JMcC

It is extremely simple to make and to do...
Do you buy "striped paint"..?

In the summer is the best time to make roon, the heat helps to speed up the process, I had made up a couple of gallons a few years but became hesitant to use it.  If it is not neutralized properly it will destroy the leather when you least expect it to.