Mattsbagger

UK billfold

A friend in England want a billfold. I don't think a standard US sized billfold will fit British £ notes. Does anyone know of a pattern available? He doesn't want a coin pouch just notes and cards.

How about anyone from the UK. How tall is a standard UK billfold? The one I use in US is 3.1" tall. Would making it 3.5" work?

My kid lives in England. I've text her for measurements just in case someone for the UK doesn't pick this up.

see my answer elsewhere

IIRC, Ian Atkinson's wallet pattern on Etsy has variations for script from various countries ...  he also has a "more refined" design available with folded edges, etc.

- Bill

Thanks. I've used one of his bag patterns before. Oddly for me the turned edge stuff I don't like. I just use veg tan and burnish. 

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

IIRC, Ian Atkinson's wallet pattern on Etsy has variations for script from various countries ...  he also has a "more refined" design available with folded edges, etc.

- Bill

156mm x 85mm is the size of the 50£ note. It's the largest one. I don't think they are used much. The 20£ note is 149mm x 80mm. The 10£ is 142 x 75 and 5£ is 135 x 70. According to my google-fu lol

I made one up. I know the note sizes but wallets are much bigger than than notes.lol I posted pics in another thread. Patterning is my weak point.

Ohh, my mistake. I'm a dummy lol. That makes more sense. Sorry I got mixed up 

4 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

156mm x 85mm is the size of the 50£ note. It's the largest one. I don't think they are used much. The 20£ note is 149mm x 80mm. The 10£ is 142 x 75 and 5£ is 135 x 70. According to my google-fu lol

The English don't have a £50, but both the Scots and Northern Irish do have them and whilst not common in N.I. they're not rare either

Just a wee titbit of strange info

I thought the English £50 was discontinued a few years ago. We was told not to accept any cos only forgeries were in circulation. Well, there ya go.

But you don't have any £1 notes; theoretically we still do, but don't, only IoM still has afair

Edited by fredk

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I thought the English £50 was discontinued a few years ago. We was told not to accept any cos only forgeries were in circulation. Well, there ya go.

But you don't have any £1 notes; theoretically we still do, but don't, only IoM still has afair

Fifties are mainly used by tourists, but they are still around. You can't get them from ATMs (don't think they fit) so only if you go to a bank counter or I guess a bureau de change. We got a new pattern about 3 years ago which was great fun -- at the time I was working in a department store and had to write up a lot of staff who continued to take the old ones from chancers months after they were no longer valid.

Good info there. Thanks!

To update this thread,new polymer notes are now in circulation.

The polymer £5 note is125mm x 65mm
The polymer £10 note is 132mm x 69mm
The polymer £20 note will be 139mm x 73mm Due to be issued in 2020 (the current paper note is 149mm x 80mm).