My first one :) 

21624138_1474314812624421_611582893_n.jpg

21767422_1474314789291090_1802152887_n.jpg

21849164_1474314862624416_715478472_n.jpg

Very impressive :)

Love the red and white pattern on the back.

Curious as I don't have any experience with rodeo chaps, is that buckle and strap in the front heavy duty enough for bull riding? 

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Love the red and white pattern on the back.

Curious as I don't have any experience with rodeo chaps, is that buckle and strap in the front heavy duty enough for bull riding? 

If you wear chaps for any length of time in a saddle, . . . you DO NOT want any big piece of anything up there becoming another belt around you . . . it's a comfort thing.

AND, . . . you don't want it to be very strong either, . . . just in case something happens where you get thrown just enough forward to get it to loop around the saddle horn, . . . your horse just may go crazy with the un-recognized shift in weight and tugging and pulling.  It would have a tendency to ruin your whole day, . . . unless of course, . . . you really do want to get some saddle bronc riding experience........ :o

Chaps I make use only a replaceable 1/2 or 5/8 strap and buckle.

Don't recall who it was that explained it to me, . . . was probably on here.

May God bless,

Dwight

Buckles on the back is 1/2 solid brass - strong enought. Front buckle is 3/4 - must be a bit stronger ( the same strap) . 

20170609_000027.jpg

Thanks for the insight.

and top is looking like that:20170501_154709.thumb.jpg.ddc2e6b768ff9c283e1a88463f211825.jpg

Looks awesome. Bull riding is my favorite sport to watch. If you can, I would love to see a pic of them in action. :) 

Thanks for sharing,

-Ryan

You can get away with a strap that heavy in front IF you make the connection between the yoke and the front belt weak enough to break away when the wreck occurs.  I make mine with no heavier than 1/2 x 7 oz leather and light weight attachment point - just like Dwight said.

On my step in leggins and work chaps, I cut a 1/4" wide string out of chap leather for the front. I've been hung on a saddle horn and it isn't fun.

Nice job of designing your bull ridin chaps and nice work.

Seen a couple of times when a string in front broke, hung over a saddle horn.  Back 50 years or more ago, most of the "hands" used a leather boot lace, one strand to tie the front together.  It doesn't take much to hold  the front together on a belt in the back work chap.  Most tack rooms on them ranches had  boot laces hanging in them as they figured on a short life of them.  However,  If I were riding bulls, and never did,  I would not want it to break and let my chaps drop while trying to get  away from a bull and there isn't much to hang up on a bull unless he runs a horn under your chap belt and then you are in TROUBLE anyway. Mostly it depends on what you are doing, how it needs to be built.

Edited by Ken Nelson