Rossr

Padfolio Second attempt

Well I showed my first around and a good friend of mine wanted one...so I figured practice is practice.   So this is take two. I did a few things different  I used cereal box cardboard for the inside this time cut down on weight compared to the plastic I used in the first and it seems stiff enough. I also rounded the corners which I like more.  Really just a style thing.   Outside was 8-10 ounce wicket Craig Carved and tooled  The Black center is Wicket and Craig 6-7 ounce Dyed Black tooling.   Inside is a Merlot waxed Pig suede.   Veg tan for the Flaps inside maybe 2-3 ounce.    Color is Fiebings Golden Brown.  IFnished with Tan coat.  Slicked the edges with saddle soap.   I did white stitching this time  which gave a nice contrast I thought.

Open for any constructive criticism...I have plenty of my own of course!   I did notice I could see some of the cut lines on my carving...I seem to have this issue on thicker leather, It appears after I use the dye and finish.  wondering if I am cutting too deep ...

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Man, that is sharp!  You've got that basketweave going good!  I like the color combos.  Not sure about the cut marks showing up, might need to see a closeup for anyone to make a solid guess...

YinTx

Also, surprised that 10 oz leather needed a backing board?  I would have thought it was plenty stiff...

YinTx

I like it.  Tooling on front is creative.  I might have creased the edges on the inside flaps, but it is my "style" preference, not for everyone.  I like the rounded corners, again, a preference.  I love the contrasting black on the spine.  Wonder why you used dark thread on it.  White would make it pop in my opinion.  Nice work!

I made one for my dad a while ago, I used Don Gonzalez's method (I believe he has a YouTube video on it) basically he done what you done. The difference is that he used poster board on the tooling area for support when tooling and then used mat board for a stiffener. The edges of the matboard were skived thin so the liner leather would lay down nice. He used the same thickness leather I believe, and 2/3 or 4/5 for the liner. 

Yours looks good!

15 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Also, surprised that 10 oz leather needed a backing board?  I would have thought it was plenty stiff...

YinTx

It most likey is stiff enough....i keep watching and reading that most added something on the inside.   so thats the way I went.    I may make another to see what happens with nothing in it. 

19 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Man, that is sharp!  You've got that basketweave going good!  I like the color combos.  Not sure about the cut marks showing up, might need to see a closeup for anyone to make a solid guess...

YinTx

Yea It may just be me being over critical too...doesnt show well in picture.  but I may try ....Thanks for the compliment too

18 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I like it.  Tooling on front is creative.  I might have creased the edges on the inside flaps, but it is my "style" preference, not for everyone.  I like the rounded corners, again, a preference.  I love the contrasting black on the spine.  Wonder why you used dark thread on it.  White would make it pop in my opinion.  Nice work!

I didnt even think of creasing them and I thought they should have something smh!   I thought white on the spine might have been too much.   Funny how we look at things different!

4 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

I made one for my dad a while ago, I used Don Gonzalez's method (I believe he has a YouTube video on it) basically he done what you done. The difference is that he used poster board on the tooling area for support when tooling and then used mat board for a stiffener. The edges of the matboard were skived thin so the liner leather would lay down nice. He used the same thickness leather I believe, and 2/3 or 4/5 for the liner. 

Yours looks good!

Thanks.  I watched the same video I am pretty sure at one point. and one of the reasons I used a inside board.     I will have to check out some matboard to see what it is like!

Guess you have recouped the knife video investment. That is a fabulous looking pad.

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

It most likey is stiff enough....i keep watching and reading that most added something on the inside.   so thats the way I went.    I may make another to see what happens with nothing in it. 

Many moons ago, when I was in High School, I had a summer job working for a company that made school supplies. My job was making binders using a hot glue machine. The first thing you did after you glued the cover was put three pieces of cardboard on it. Plastic binders were made exactly the same way, only with a different machine that sealed the plastic using an electric current.

So, yeah, my pad folio, when I get around to doing it, will have cardboard stiffener.

Rossr, the leather on the spine looks a bit puffy, as though there's an extra layer there. How was it done? Was the whole pad one piece of leather, with a second layer added to the spine?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Guess you have recouped the knife video investment. That is a fabulous looking pad.

Thanks mutt

2 hours ago, Dun said:

Another nice one! What was your process like for the edges of the pigskin?

Dun that is one of the things I want to think through a bit more  The pig skin wont burnish really.  so for now if you will its kinda  raw edge.  It looks fine but long term I see it picking up some.   So been thinking on better solution.   I considered making the edges longer and wider skiving them down and then rolling them to the inside after the pig skin...but that would add a level of difficulty I am not ready for :)

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Many moons ago, when I was in High School, I had a summer job working for a company that made school supplies. My job was making binders using a hot glue machine. The first thing you did after you glued the cover was put three pieces of cardboard on it. Plastic binders were made exactly the same way, only with a different machine that sealed the plastic using an electric current.

So, yeah, my pad folio, when I get around to doing it, will have cardboard stiffener.

Rossr, the leather on the spine looks a bit puffy, as though there's an extra layer there. How was it done? Was the whole pad one piece of leather, with a second layer added to the spine?

Shelia,

The black part is a separate piece.  the front and back are two separate rectangles.   So the black part I glued and stitched on to each rectangle hence the puffy look.  I did skive the edges of the black part down so it meets it nicely.

I did this for a couple reasons.  One to make the contrast easier so I could dye them separate.  Secondly I figured it would be easier to fold over that way rather than one piece being of thicker leather.  Bear in mind I am winging this so to speak!

image.png@YinTx Best I can do on the picture.  It isnt great but u can see what I mean if you look at the point on the leaf on the bottom right  you an see a cut line following it from the point up and to the right.   I suspect it has to do with improper casing of the leather or I didnt bevel it deep enough.

That works. I really do need to break our the basket weave stamps now.

I'll bet the liner was easier to do without the pad sleeve stitched on the left side like the last one.

18 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

That works. I really do need to break our the basket weave stamps now.

I'll bet the liner was easier to do without the pad sleeve stitched on the left side like the last one.

Sure was and Thanks for that comment. Real happy with it that way actually!   

14 minutes ago, kiwican said:

pretty sweet!

Thank you sir

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

I considered making the edges longer and wider skiving them down and then rolling them to the inside after the pig skin...but that would add a level of difficulty I am not ready for :)

That is my current hurdle as well. I'm going to attempt some pigskin skiving tonight without any proper skiving blades!

Just now, Dun said:

That is my current hurdle as well. I'm going to attempt some pigskin skiving tonight without any proper skiving blades!

I have in the past not liked the saftey skivers.   That was until I put a new blade in one and it worked pretty well.   I did skive down the suede under the flaps on the inside and that was ok...but i still have all the rest around the parts where no flap.   Give it a go its all about learning

3 hours ago, Rossr said:

improper casing of the leather or I didnt bevel it deep enough.

Close up looks better than a close up of mine would.  Did you bevel before you textured/back grounded?

I have a padfolio I made, that I have been carrying around for nearly 2 years, from a single layer of 5 oz leather.  It seems plenty stiff enough for me, I can rest it on a knee and write in the pad without it flexing too much.  10 oz plus liner plus a stiffener must be like carrying a board around!

YinTx

1 minute ago, YinTx said:

Close up looks better than a close up of mine would.  Did you bevel before you textured/back grounded?

I have a padfolio I made, that I have been carrying around for nearly 2 years, from a single layer of 5 oz leather.  It seems plenty stiff enough for me, I can rest it on a knee and write in the pad without it flexing too much.  10 oz plus liner plus a stiffener must be like carrying a board around!

YinTx

Yes they are heavier than I would like...but no horrible.

I did bevel first and then did the pebble background last.

@Rossr, I'm nowhere near as proficient a carver as you are, but they look like over cuts. When you are cutting in do you connect your lines at the points? Whenever I see people (like Chan geer or Jim linell) carving I notice they don't connect their lines. There is a small gap. It's later fixed when they bevel. 

That's just my novice observation. I'm not sure if that's the case or not. Just a thought. I wouldn't have noticed them myself if you haven't said they were there haha. 

Speaking of pad folios, I have one that I am quite fond of, and am planning to use it as a guide when I do one for myself. I've had it for quite a few years, and don't remember where it came from, except it was a gift. I just took a closer look at the way it's made and spotted something that really gave me a surprise. 

I'd assumed all this time it was made of plastic. NICE plastic, but plastic nonetheless. Then for the first time, I noticed the maker's stamp. It's LEATHER!! And someone must be a master craftsman, because the way this is made is NOT something I'm prepared to tackle! The edge binding and folded edges are beyond my skill set right now, though I do plan to copy the basic layout, and may choose to line it with fabric rather than leather, which is what Geoffrey Allen has done with this pad folio.

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2355_crop.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Speaking of pad folios, I have one that I am quite fond of, and am planning to use it as a guide when I do one for myself. I've had it for quite a few years, and don't remember where it came from, except it was a gift. I just took a closer look at the way it's made and spotted something that really gave me a surprise. 

I'd assumed all this time it was made of plastic. NICE plastic, but plastic nonetheless. Then for the first time, I noticed the maker's stamp. It's LEATHER!! And someone must be a master craftsman, because the way this is made is NOT something I'm prepared to tackle! The edge binding and folded edges are beyond my skill set right now, though I do plan to copy the basic layout, and may choose to line it with fabric rather than leather, which is what Geoffrey Allen has done with this pad folio.

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

IMG_2355_crop.jpg

Shelia,  nothing wrong with trying!!!!

Its just a matter pf breaking it down and going step by step.  ...A sewing machine would be beneficial too I am sure

4 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

@Rossr, I'm nowhere near as proficient a carver as you are, but they look like over cuts. When you are cutting in do you connect your lines at the points? Whenever I see people (like Chan geer or Jim linell) carving I notice they don't connect their lines. There is a small gap. It's later fixed when they bevel. 

That's just my novice observation. I'm not sure if that's the case or not. Just a thought. I wouldn't have noticed them myself if you haven't said they were there haha. 

Stetson  that is a good observation.   Never thought much about it and i have connected them always tried to be careful no to cut past though......Lol.. we are our own worst critics always.  Thanks for the compliment too...i view myself as still a beginner and still learning!

I don't spend as much time carving as I would like. I can't seem to get my knife sharpener but that's probably me being lazy lol. I think your carving is good. Mine always lacked depth because what I thought was sharp in a knife really wasn't. Guess I'll be playing around with that haha. 

Great looking padfolio

Very nice I really like what you did with the basket weave. As for as your cuts they look fine to me. Did you notice it before the finish was added? I notice when you add moisture like a dye, or wet finish is makes the leather swell a little, which makes the cut lines show up more. If you take a beveller to it it will diminish, but that will most likely mess up your finish. like I said the look fine to me I think your like most of us just to hard on yourself.          

On 1/22/2018 at 9:07 PM, Fire88 said:

Great looking padfolio

Thanks Fire

18 minutes ago, Brown64 said:

Very nice I really like what you did with the basket weave. As for as your cuts they look fine to me. Did you notice it before the finish was added? I notice when you add moisture like a dye, or wet finish is makes the leather swell a little, which makes the cut lines show up more. If you take a beveller to it it will diminish, but that will most likely mess up your finish. like I said the look fine to me I think your like most of us just to hard on yourself.          

It always shows up after I add dye.   I am for sure hard on myself...its what drives us all to improve!  Thanks for the compliment.