Josh Ashman

Lefty Buscadero Rig for a Ruger Blackhawk

Custom order finished up this week. 10/11 HO except for the cartridge loops which are 5/6 and Fiebings black antique. 

Progress pics;

0109180752.jpg.f942413398228644ed7e79e61e9e03d4.jpg0115180741a.jpg.a6970a3cf55713cc70164c8d3b70f89c.jpg0115180742d.jpg.ee23786b6b119f684bbdc9a252ef8dcd.jpg

Finish pics;

020.thumb.jpg.0583b1fab531fc3430e7d36375c3be0c.jpg001.thumb.jpg.5634f233094957414ed233bbe11819b5.jpg028.thumb.jpg.6820c633349350bc5ab78423b93b8ece.jpg

That's some beautiful work Josh!  I have been sewing individual cartridge loops but I think on my next cartridge holder I will try the slotted version - looks like it will be a bit easier!

Gary

10 minutes ago, garypl said:

That's some beautiful work Josh!  I have been sewing individual cartridge loops but I think on my next cartridge holder I will try the slotted version - looks like it will be a bit easier!

Gary

Thanks Gary! I've tried sewing them and running them through 2 slots as well as running them through 1 slot (like this rig) and while they are all OK the 1 slot method is my favorite so far. Works for everything from .22 to .45 as far as I'm concerned. 

All the best, Josh

Just now, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Gary! I've tried sewing them and running them through 2 slots as well as running them through 1 slot (like this rig) and while they are all OK the 1 slot method is my favorite so far. Works for everything from .22 to .45 as far as I'm concerned. 

All the best, Josh

I remember Dwight posted a tutorial on using this method.  I am getting ready to make some shotgun shell belt slides and I will definitely look it up and try this method on the first one.

Gary

You do some very nice work it something to aspire to!  It is something I feel I really suck at so I don't do much of it, I think I need to go back and retry, but yours is excellent!

That is awesome.

That is a fine rig! Love the color.

27 minutes ago, garypl said:

I remember Dwight posted a tutorial on using this method.  I am getting ready to make some shotgun shell belt slides and I will definitely look it up and try this method on the first one.

Gary

I remember that tutorial as well, I'm sure it'll get you started off fine! Good luck with your project!

8 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

You do some very nice work it something to aspire to!  It is something I feel I really suck at so I don't do much of it, I think I need to go back and retry, but yours is excellent!

Thanks OldNSlow! I'm not near as good as I'd like to be at carving, but it's fun to mess around with. All the best!

4 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is awesome.

Thank you sir!

1 minute ago, alpha2 said:

That is a fine rig! Love the color.

Thanks! I think the black antique turns out nice on carved leather too! All the best! 

We are not worthy...we are not worthy! Seriously, though...heirloom work, Josh...as is your way.

very very nice, I love that look

Josh, . . . beautiful job.

Now, . . . can you bottle up some of that patience you obviously have an abundance of, . . . I could use a bottle if not a box.

You do work worthy of the word "heirloom".

May God bless,

Dwight

Gorgeous work Mister, love every thing about it !! I’ve been wanting to learn carving more, especially Sheridan Style. Just ordered Mr. Bob Park’s book insight of more info. 

Lookn good.....Never tried the mexican loop with a buscadero.... love it.... sometimes just need to step out of the box

Very nice work!  Did you make the pattern yourself or is it one that can be purchased? I didn't realize that Fiebing's made an antique black. It looks really good on that rig. I must get some to try out! They will be proud to wear that rig! The gun will be secondary in comparison :)

On 1/19/2018 at 0:27 PM, Double Daddy said:

We are not worthy...we are not worthy! Seriously, though...heirloom work, Josh...as is your way.

Thanks Double Daddy! 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jake907 said:

very very nice, I love that look

Thanks Jake! 

On 1/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, Dwight said:

Josh, . . . beautiful job.

Now, . . . can you bottle up some of that patience you obviously have an abundance of, . . . I could use a bottle if not a box.

You do work worthy of the word "heirloom".

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight! I appreciate the kind words! It's funny the things that a person can be patient about! I don't think anyone that knows me would suggest I'm particularly patient and yet when it's time to tool leather I suppose I am. I do know that when I get in a hurry is when I make mistakes, so I try not to rush it too much.

On 1/19/2018 at 4:33 PM, Eddie Q said:

Gorgeous work Mister, love every thing about it !! I’ve been wanting to learn carving more, especially Sheridan Style. Just ordered Mr. Bob Park’s book insight of more info. 

Thanks Eddie! I'm sure Bob's book will be wonderful! I miss seeing him post on here. He's a great source of knowledge and seems like a genuine good person. 

On 1/20/2018 at 10:40 AM, Treed said:

Lookn good.....Never tried the mexican loop with a buscadero.... love it.... sometimes just need to step out of the box

Thanks Bobby! I've done a few of them and have been pretty happy with how they've turned out. It's a little disturbing to go rolling and twisting up the skirt to get it shoved through the slot, but you do what you have to. I also fret about getting the holster body mauled through the slots on the skirt so maybe I'm just a worrier :)

On 1/20/2018 at 11:25 AM, JMcC said:

Very nice work!  Did you make the pattern yourself or is it one that can be purchased? I didn't realize that Fiebing's made an antique black. It looks really good on that rig. I must get some to try out! They will be proud to wear that rig! The gun will be secondary in comparison :)

Thanks JMcC! The holster and cartridge belt pattern is mine. The carving pattern for the flower is from a Tandy wallet pattern I bought years ago. I've re-purposed it and customized the leaves and vines as much as my feeble drawing talents allow. As the black antique, Fiebings makes both a paste and a liquid acrylic, this is the liquid acrylic. I use it quite a bit and most people seem to really like it. It's probably my most requested color for tooled work. 

All the best everybody! 

Josh

Looks great.

I noticed the belt is not lined.  Are you gluing the loops to the back of the belt individually?  I know with lining it will all glue down when you line it.  Or does the ammo loop just hold itself that well?  Never done one, but get requests for butt stock cuffs and I'm sure I'll eventually end up doing one.  The only loops I have done were 2 slot and glued down to the holster with a leather panel.  

10 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

Looks great.

I noticed the belt is not lined.  Are you gluing the loops to the back of the belt individually?  I know with lining it will all glue down when you line it.  Or does the ammo loop just hold itself that well?  Never done one, but get requests for butt stock cuffs and I'm sure I'll eventually end up doing one.  The only loops I have done were 2 slot and glued down to the holster with a leather panel.  

Hey ChiefJason! No glue on the loops needed. I cut the strap slightly wider than the slot and with my bag punch (CS Osborne) and 5/6 leather the 2 thicknesses of leather are thicker than the slot is wide. I also dampen the backside of the loops and hammer them flat after lacing them through. For anyone curious about this, I leave the cartridges in the loops, run a sponge over the backside and tap them off with a shoe hammer while just holding the belt.  

All the best! 

4 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Hey ChiefJason! No glue on the loops needed. I cut the strap slightly wider than the slot and with my bag punch (CS Osborne) and 5/6 leather the 2 thicknesses of leather are thicker than the slot is wide. I also dampen the backside of the loops and hammer them flat after lacing them through. For anyone curious about this, I leave the cartridges in the loops, run a sponge over the backside and tap them off with a shoe hammer while just holding the belt.  

All the best! 

Fantastic.  Making a mental note and hoping I can find it when I need it.  lol  Thanks.  

Well done.