ChicagoScreech

American St Louis crank splitter

I picked up this little beast for just under $250.1 adjustment screw for blade is not original ( I think) and handle for thickness selector is gone and top smoother over.

My original thought was just clean it up and be done, but now I’m thinking about having someone do a restoration on it. I’m having problems finding info and diagrams  that are legible. Anyone have decent scans/pics of them? Also thinking of taking some liberties with the paint, maybe red and black with scroll/Sheridan accents???

C07E307D-37A1-4BE2-9BB5-A2AB0F9D4FFD.png

3B6B2E3D-2F5F-41D9-93F1-59CB2271DED2.png

0DE92C46-D6E4-4C10-BC54-5D5E56901CC6.jpeg

Talk to @bruce johnson

He generally pops in every couple of days. He refurbishes old tools for resale. And he's been really helpful in the past with schematics and pointers. 

You could maybe try him on his website.

First off, in the current market that is a good buy. Crank splitter prices have been crazy high with broken parts or not. That adjust handle broken off is the weak link on the American splitters. They always break if not removed for shipping or even in the shop if something hits them at just the wrong angle. No replacement parts available, they have to be made. 

As far as paint schemes - there are no rules. Mostly green but I've painted them green, brown, gray, burgundy, and have a solid black coming up in a week or so. Parts and diagrams - have not seen them for the American or Champions. It is a bit of an undertaking to take on totally down and refurbish but not like taking a watch apart and expecting it to run afterwards. There are a few tricks and "so that's how it goes together" things along thew way. I tell people it is a twenty chapter book or a 15 minute phone call to talk somebody through it. Be glad to help if you decide to go that way.

I've found over the years when taking something apart for the first time is to take LOTS of pictures as you go. Will call phones now days it's pretty easy to get a lot of quick pics. Nothing beats experience but take every advantage you can in my book.

16 hours ago, ChicagoScreech said:

I picked up this little beast for just under $250.1 adjustment screw for blade is not original ( I think) and handle for thickness selector is gone and top smoother over.

My original thought was just clean it up and be done, but now I’m thinking about having someone do a restoration on it. I’m having problems finding info and diagrams  that are legible. Anyone have decent scans/pics of them? Also thinking of taking some liberties with the paint, maybe red and black with scroll/Sheridan accents???

C07E307D-37A1-4BE2-9BB5-A2AB0F9D4FFD.png

3B6B2E3D-2F5F-41D9-93F1-59CB2271DED2.png

0DE92C46-D6E4-4C10-BC54-5D5E56901CC6.jpeg

The screw in front the blade is not important as well. You can use that one for this. 

About the top part (that is the important part and easy to break). I got mine before with broken top part when the seller shipped to my house but he made another one for me by steel (strong one). Contact this guys on ebay  : https://www.ebay.com/usr/linkstrap?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754

Ask him to make you the new top part with steel. He did it before and I think he can help you out. 

Best of luck to you. 

P/s: great price for this beautiful machine anyway.