Mattsbagger

UK/Euro Billfold Size

I tried asking in the patterns section but will try here now. I have to make a billfold style wallet for a freind in England. I have a US sized billfold pattern that is 3.1" tall would making it 3.5" tall work with £ and Euro's? They are the same length I know as $. Any feedback would be appreciated. Even metric measurements would work.lol

My wallet is 102mm [slightly over 4 inches] deep by approx 235mm long [about 9.25 inches] on the outside. All UK notes fit in ok. It could actually be better if it was a bit deeper for the £50; say 4.25 to 4.5 inches.

On the notes; £5 is smaller than £10 which is smaller that £20 which is smaller than £50 which is the same size as £100. Euro notes are closer to US notes sizes. Euros are not used in the UK but your client may put them in the wallet when on holiday in Europe

Thanks. He travels a lot but doesn't use 50's. You wouldn't happen to have a pattern would you? I don't do well with drawing my own.lol I do a lot of "tweeking" other patterns I find. I do ok with simple stuff but idk if "upsizing" my standard wallet would work.

Sorry, no I don't have any patterns

Could you not trace around one you have, scan into a computer and print out at a larger size, or enlarge by way of a photocopier? Those are the methods I use to resize patterns

I usually trace the original pattern on cardstock and add or subtract to try and get the size I'm after. Sometimes it works ok sometimes not.lol Not great with computers. But your measurements give me a head start so thanks a lot. Ta. 

Here is what I came up with. It seems huge to me. Wife lived in England for 13 yrs and says it looks right to her. As most men in England don't carry in back pocket because of pick pockets. 4 X 4.5 folded roughly. (10.2cm X 11.5cm)

20180121_115831-864x864.jpg

20180121_115848-864x864.jpg

That looks just fine and dandy so it does.

It only appears big to you as you're not use to the size. Your finished size matches the one I use every day. I was looking at wallets on a Christmas trade stand a month ago and thought they all looked small. I tried a £10 note in one and the note was too big; it would seem those wallets were cheap imports but meant for either Europe or the US

I can't say bout England but in N.I. most men I know [including me] carries in the back pocket of trousers. Only posh gents carry the non-folded type of wallet* in the inside pocket of a jacket. We don't have a pick-pocket problem here; very rare to hear of one           * [ aka 'Banker's wallet' ]

I really must make me a new one. The one I'm using was bought about 30 years ago, its still holding together well, but its rather mis-shapen now. Good leather items last well. Last year I priced a few leather wallets, just to find out what prices are like. True leather ones, similar to yours, are about £40 in N.I. and hard to find; most available are faux leather

Thanks for the help. Since this one was a proof of concept for me I will probably throw it up on the Etsy and see if it sells.lol I really like the blue stitch with the black leather. I might have to make some more stuff with that combo.lol My wife was a Bobby in Winchester. Ice been to southern England and the Lake District. Never made it to Ireland. 

huh. I'm going through all this trouble and learning new techniques to make grandpa an xl wallet(by american standards) so he can fit his prescriptions in it and all I had to do was buy him a UK wallet?

This looks really nice mattsbagger!