Mokerson

20" Splitter Question

Anyone able to provide any feedback or experience on the 20" splitters that are out there.  Looks like Cowboy/Hightex and Artisan Sewing are the only two brands I have seen for it and just curious if anyone has feedback on them.  I am really interested in picking one up next month but I have never used either brand of equipment and while I assume they are both re-badged from the same Chinese mfr. I am hoping that for the money it is a solid setup.  Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Also looking to pick up a skiver next month as well, so any feedback on that I would be interested as well (fortunately there are a ton of posts I am finding about skiving machines).  Thanks in advance.

- John

1 hour ago, grmnsplx said:

B_Geisler makes a few comments in this thread:

Thanks for the link, don't spend much time at reddit despite the amount of info over there.  So it looks like they are good for the heavy weight stuff but getting down into handbag and wallet weights would be problematic with a machine like this.  Hmmm... may be back to the drawing board.  Thanks again for the share.

- John

I just bought a leather pro from the leather machine company and so far no complaints it splits a days worth in just a few hours. will not cut 13 to 15 oz leather. My only real complaint is the spacers are in mm not in.  It does take up a lot of space but very worth it. I cut a lot of 6/7 oz. and it like hot knife thru butter no pull or stretch.

Yes,a splitter with a stationary blade is for heavier ,thicker stiff leather,if you want to split thin soft leather you need band knife splitter,they are somewhat like a bandsaw & very expensive.They come in widths 12" & wider & of course the wider it is the more it costs,a 24" machine is approx. $16,000 new,used ones are hard to find but at least 1/2 the price.

Here's some info on a used one;http://www.dgxiangdi.com/product-detail-used_camoga_c520r_band_knife_leather_splitting_machine-259.html

Edited by CowboyBob

Wow, thanks for that Bob.  Didn't even know that such a machine existed... and certainly wasn't expecting that price tag.  :)  I was willing to part with a couple thousand but 8-10 for a refurb or double that for a new unit... that's not in the cards right now. 

9 hours ago, PegasusBridles said:

I just bought a leather pro from the leather machine company and so far no complaints it splits a days worth in just a few hours. will not cut 13 to 15 oz leather. My only real complaint is the spacers are in mm not in.  It does take up a lot of space but very worth it. I cut a lot of 6/7 oz. and it like hot knife thru butter no pull or stretch.

Pegasus,

Which unit did you pick up from Leather Machine, the Cobra 14?

Sorry just got back from vacation, Yes I believe its the 14. Its the only one they offer or have, Changing blades is tough the first time and they don't send a spanner wrench or tell you its reversed threads, it comes with no manual, no pictures, no nothing on how to operate, blades are scary sharp invest in cut proof gloves I didn't the first blade change....Ha ha  I have them now... 

I went and looked at your links the 818  looks exactly like the one I bought just a darker color

Edited by PegasusBridles

Home of the Cobra 866-962-9880

Leather Machine Co

Highest Quality Machinery for the Leather Trade

leather-strap-cutting-machine-300x300.pn

COBRA AK 20 Leather Strap Cutting Machine

$1,995.00

FEATURES:

• Includes multiple size spacers
  • Eight cutting knives
  • 1/2 HP Induction Motor
  • SR2 speed reducer
  • Heavy Duty drive unit with wheels
  • Includes Accessories
Quantity
Add to cart

Description

COBRA AK 20 Leather Strap Cutting Machine

Machine has a 14″ cutting width and will cut leather up to 16 oz. Complete with spacers and extra blades, Electronic Servo Motor and Stand.

We stand by our machines!”Limited Lifetime Warranty” on all COBRA products.

Related products

footer.png

Translate »

secured by

Ummm your picture is of a strap cutter?

@bikermutt07, the Cobra 14 is below the strap cutter, scroll on down.

Paul

19 minutes ago, sheathmaker said:

@bikermutt07, the Cobra 14 is below the strap cutter, scroll on down.

Paul

Yes sir, I did see that. But then the op talks about changing the blade"s". The cobra splitter only has one blade, right?

That is correct, one blade, and on the Cobra 14, unless they have changed something recently, a straight blade screw driver and the correct size Allen wrench is all you need to remove the blade and insert a new one.

Paul

47 minutes ago, sheathmaker said:

That is correct, one blade, and on the Cobra 14, unless they have changed something recently, a straight blade screw driver and the correct size Allen wrench is all you need to remove the blade and insert a new one.

Paul

AHA!!! So, I'm not crazy. Well, maybe I am but that is another thread entirely.:crazy: