BettyJ

Using Edgecoat on Saffiano leather

Hi all

Back again with more questions. :) 

I've been experimenting with applying edgecoat to some saffiano leather. It's proving to be a bit of a pain in the neck. 

Does anyone have any good tips for how to get a nice edge on it? It seems kinda bitty, if that makes sense. I'm doing some parts of the leather backpack I'm working on as raw edges, plus I'm applying a cut in zipper at the front so I need to make it look nice.

So far, what I've done is apply two coats, let them dry then sand them down. I'm waiting to apply another two to see what that looks like.

I'm using a makeup sponge to apply it which, is working remarkably well. I found the tip online and it's been brilliant to help me stop getting it over the front edge of the leather. Much easier than using an awl or the flat trowel-like applicator. I was making such a mess with those. :( 

I've also got this edge primer stuff but, to be honest, it doesn't actually help. It just makes the edges even more grainy and bitty. Also dilutes the colour a bit so I won't be carrying on using that.

The edgecoat I'm using is Super Cova in red. If I lay it on super thick, it looks amazing but, it runs over the edge and makes a mess of the saffiano.

Thanks again for the help. Sorry that it feels like I only come on here to ask questions. I really hope that the questions I ask are helpful to others. 

Seeya

Betty

Hello there, running into some similar issues with an embossed calf leather that I suspect acts a little like saffiano.  In terms of an applicator, I’ve worked out that the little green coffee stoppers from Starbucks work super well. Apart from, don’t have much to offer you, I’m afraid. Would a fileteuse help, or just ‘melt’ the edges?

D6461498-0307-4969-AA90-DDC110507C12.jpeg

Hi Motocouture

Hmm, I've not thought about using heat at this stage. I also don't have the tool to apply heat but I know somewhere that does. Maybe I can ask them to help. Thanks for the tip. I'll need to find out if the Super Cova can be used with heat. I bought it in Japan when I was on holiday cause I thought the colour was pretty. Going forward, I'm going to be a bit more careful with my leather working purchases and try to tie them in together a bit more.

Good idea with the Starbucks coffee things. I'll see if I can grab a few in Singapore. Not sure if I've seen them here before though.

Let me know how you go with your embossed calf leather. I really hate this style of coated leather. I don't care that it's harder wearing, I'm not using it again. It's just so fake. :( 

What is Super Cova? The only Cova I've heard about before is acrylic paint at Tandy. Also Edge Kote is from Tandy. Edge Flex from Tandy is Fenice edge paint from Italy and can be used with heat. Experiment on scrap and see what works and what doesn't. You don't want yo ruin your project.

19 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

What is Super Cova? The only Cova I've heard about before is acrylic paint at Tandy. Also Edge Kote is from Tandy. Edge Flex from Tandy is Fenice edge paint from Italy and can be used with heat. Experiment on scrap and see what works and what doesn't. You don't want yo ruin your project.

Hi Mattsbagger

Opps sorry, I think in my hurry I got the name around backwards. It's this stuff. http://lial.biz/leather-chemicals/edge-burnish/cova-super-edge-coat I bought it while on holiday in Japan. 

Oh definitely. I've been experimenting heaps to see what looks good and works. I came up with a bit of a solution for this. I applied two coats, sanded it down, applied another two coats, sanded those down a bit and then a final two coats with some carnuba cream over the top. Looks quite nice. Now to play with it and see how it holds up against the edge of hardware etc to see if it wears off or not. 

20 minutes ago, BettyJ said:

Hi Mattsbagger

Opps sorry, I think in my hurry I got the name around backwards. It's this stuff. http://lial.biz/leather-chemicals/edge-burnish/cova-super-edge-coat I bought it while on holiday in Japan. 

Oh definitely. I've been experimenting heaps to see what looks good and works. I came up with a bit of a solution for this. I applied two coats, sanded it down, applied another two coats, sanded those down a bit and then a final two coats with some carnuba cream over the top. Looks quite nice. Now to play with it and see how it holds up against the edge of hardware etc to see if it wears off or not. 

Betty - Mattsbagger has a good suggestion to practice on scrap before finishing your main project.  I would also add that you may want to experiment with thinning the paint with distilled water (or regular if you can’t find distilled).  It can make the paint easier to apply and extends the amount of paint you have to use.  

Gary

4 minutes ago, garypl said:

Betty - Mattsbagger has a good suggestion to practice on scrap before finishing your main project.  I would also add that you may want to experiment with thinning the paint with distilled water (or regular if you can’t find distilled).  It can make the paint easier to apply and extends the amount of paint you have to use.  

Gary

Thanks Garypl

I did quite a bit of experimenting on Sunday. Was lots of fun. :) 

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise you could thin out acrylics. Learning so much with this bag. Including just how little patience I have doing work for others. I much prefer making things for me, less stressful. :head_hurts_kr:

4 minutes ago, BettyJ said:

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise you could thin out acrylics. Learning so much with this bag. Including just how little patience I have doing work for others. I much prefer making things for me, less stressful

Betty - I agree completely!  I do this as a hobby and I just sold my first commission piece to someone that saw a project that I gave as a gift.  He was very happy with the results, but I still worried whether I did a good enough job and felt pressure to finish it sooner because he kept asking me about it.  Much more relaxing when I am making things for myself or giving items as unexpected gifts!

Gary

23 hours ago, garypl said:

Betty - I agree completely!  I do this as a hobby and I just sold my first commission piece to someone that saw a project that I gave as a gift.  He was very happy with the results, but I still worried whether I did a good enough job and felt pressure to finish it sooner because he kept asking me about it.  Much more relaxing when I am making things for myself or giving items as unexpected gifts!

Gary

I know, right? I have literally been having panic attacks making this darn bag. :(  I won't be doing this for someone again. I'm just not cut out for it.

19 minutes ago, BettyJ said:

I know, right? I have literally been having panic attacks making this darn bag. :(  I won't be doing this for someone again. I'm just not cut out for it.

This may be true, however once you finish it the person receiving it will likely never notice any small flaws that only you will know are there!  Since we see every tiny detail in the creation of our projects we know exactly where we had a hiccup and the reality is that most people will never notice.  Look at some of the mass produced items you have purchased and upon clos3 inspection I am certain you will find a few flaws!

Gary

I find that these rollers work really well for applying edge paint such as Fenice.  As long as the paint has some body to it, these rollers work well.  Cuts the application time by at least 50%. 

One of these and a damp rag is what I use. 

https://districtleathersupply.com/products/edge-paint-screen-mesh-roller-pen

Similar ones available at Tandy:

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-pro-edge-dye-roller-pen

4 minutes ago, Webicons said:

I find that these rollers work really well for applying edge paint such as Fenice.  As long as the paint has some body to it, these rollers work well.  Cuts the application time by at least 50%. 

Oooh I've been eyeballing the mesh roller pen for a little while. I'm waiting till I finish this bag before I buy more toys. :) It's my incentive to complete it, rather than let it lie around.

Edited by BettyJ
spelling mistake

7 hours ago, Webicons said:

I use the Tandy roller pen and works pretty well.  Which type do you prefer?  (I guess the screen mesh since that is the one you said you use, but is there much difference in performance?)

Gary

5 hours ago, garypl said:

I use the Tandy roller pen and works pretty well.  Which type do you prefer?  (I guess the screen mesh since that is the one you said you use, but is there much difference in performance?)

Gary

They both work well and, in my experience, performance compared to each other depends on how thick the paint is.  The mesh one works well with slightly thinner paints like Fenice (preferred)  while the Tandy cone worked better with thicker (Buckleguy stuff, not sure who the OEM is).  

The mesh applies the paint very evenly but I’ve actually been using the Tandy more recently because it cleans up quickly.  

7 minutes ago, Webicons said:

They both work well and, in my experience, performance compared to each other depends on how thick the paint is.  The mesh one works well with slightly thinner paints like Fenice (preferred)  while the Tandy cone worked better with thicker (Buckleguy stuff, not sure who the OEM is).  

The mesh applies the paint very evenly but I’ve actually been using the Tandy more recently because it cleans up quickly.  

Agree on clean up - I clean my Tandy paint roller in the deep sink using an old toothbrush.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:31 PM, garypl said:

Agree on clean up - I clean my Tandy paint roller in the deep sink using an old toothbrush.

Do yourself a favor and put a dab of threadlock on the threads that hold the brass applicator.  On two separate occasions it came undone and had to fish it out of my bottle.  Good thing that I can use chopsticks pretty well. 

1 hour ago, Webicons said:

Do yourself a favor and put a dab of threadlock on the threads that hold the brass applicator.  On two separate occasions it came undone and had to fish it out of my bottle.  Good thing that I can use chopsticks pretty well. 

Thanks for the tip!