jsiler

Singer 16-188 questions

Today I came in possession of a Singer 16-188 and would like to sew leather and canvas bags, small leather goods such as wallets, etc.   What can you experts provide with regard to thread sizes, feet, etc for this etc.   According to the Serial number it was made about June 1950 and looks pretty good other than very dirty.  everything looks pretty tight etc. 

The problem with this machine is the feet come w/teeth on them ( which can be ground off) but you also need the teeth of the feed dogs to pull the leather,if there worn some they won't mark as bad.It will use up to #138 thread we have the standard double toe foot in stock & one side or the other can be cutoff as needed.We also stock a lot of other parts for this model too.

Hello group,  I am the proud owner of both a 16-188 from 1954 and a 16-88 that is over 100 years old.  We lovingly restored the 16-88 with cold cure japanning.  That machine is awesome for upholstery type work.  We sew multiple layers of material such as canvas and denim but also clear vinyl when we made some of our machine covers.  The 16-188 gets a little neglected because of space issues and it just aint as beautiful as the older machine that runs smooth as can be.  I looked for larger needles on eBay and the largest I could find for this machine was a size 22.  They may have made a larger one (if so please let me know as I'm looking for size 24 and might as well go for 23) but since I cannot find larger than 22 maybe it isn't made anymore.  I believe it would be great for other light work but need a size 24 needle etc...  Mentioning this on this post as a potential limitation of the machine.  Our 45k1 from 1915 on the other hand is not a walking foot but can definitely handle the heavier thread and needles with anything a harness machine might need to sew.  Best regards, MIke

Mike,If your having problems getting needles I'm guessing your using the 16x63? Adjust the machine to use 135x17 & you will have a lot more choices of needle sizes & points available.There's very little difference between them.We also found that the machine will skip less since the 135x17 & 16 have a scarf on them which allows the shuttle to run closer to the needle.

Edited by CowboyBob

Hi Bob,  I'm not sure how I missed your comment on the 135x17 or maybe I forgot it and read it long ago.  Will both the needle bar need to be adjusted as well as the timing?  That is really good and appreciated advice.  Thanks!  Best regards, Mike

Old Thread .. Old Machine

Confirming what CowboyBob was saying , I put 135x17 in my 1922  16-188 and by dropping it down a little in the needle clamp it sewed just fine.  I just pulled off the needle plate and could observe the interaction of the hook and the needle skarf. For ke6cvh .. only the needle bar needs adjusting (assuming the machine was already in time).

Looking for an adjusters guide and parts list .. any favorites?

I have a 16K113, which I setup to use 135x17 needles, I also have a couple Singer 31's, which are also are setup to use 135x17 needles.

I do wish people would use the correct screwdriver for the screws in the needle bars, one looked like they tried to use a hammer, unbelievable.

I now looking at change my other machines needle bars to use them, much simpler only needing to use one type of needle instead of the two or three I use now.

Bert.

Edited by Bert51
spelling

HI Group,

Understand old thread and old machine :-)  The old machine part I like along with it's old school performance :-)  We now have a 16-88, 16-188, 16u-288 (this one was amazingly new old stock in a warehouse of an old Singer dealer overseas that is liquidating and there is one more I'll eventually buy some day).  BTW I got the new old stock 16u-288 for equivalent in $360 dollars. It even came with the mfg. plastic bag of accessories (bobbins extra Singer needles etc.)

Posting again to ask this question.  Has anyone ever tried a drop down roller guide on these?  I have one installed on one of our 112w's and the sewer was amazed by it.  I'm starting to think I need to get a complete set of different feet as I have seen auctions where upholstery shop had them likely an estate sale and the sewer had the full set of feet.  My guess is the full set of feet will make a huge difference and if I can figure out a drop down roller foot all the better.  Not sure how well a plain edge guide would work but yet another possibility.  

Everyone here wants to keep gravitating to the Juki DLN-5410 single needle feed.  We also have a large herd of Juki 415's.  There is stuff that these single needle feed will just plain not sew well and recently one broke my needle plate (new) and bent a needle but no damage to the hook trying to make the 5410 "sew" beyond it's abilities with canvas (was pushing the material).  Really good sewer but not a good solution obviously.  I demonstrated to him the 16-188 sewed it just fine but I suspect he wants and doesn't realize he needs some extra tools in the 88 class walking feet machines we have here.  With practice there is no reason why he can't sew a perfectly straight line on the 88's.

So if anyone in this group has the 88, 188, 288 "u" what would be there first priority beyond the stock feet without any guide ?  Since we are soon to have a 4th of these likely (the second 288 "U") I want to set them up so people will gravitate towards them instead of away for sewing canvas and upholstery type work.

Best regards,

Mike