Just finished this custom ordered backpack today.  Pierced rose pattern over deerskin bag.  It has two small pockets inside and a hidden Velcro pocket on the back.  I'll take all the advice I can get to improve my work.

Thank you!

20180121_164957~02.jpg

I don't think you need any advice. That looks awesome.

Did you find the edge on the top flap or dye it to the stitch line? I can't tell in the picture.

The edges are all burnished then dyed to the stitch line (more a function of using those goofy daubers than my intent to go that far ;) )

Edited by awnova

Really nice details.  Anyone makes mistakes.  Good craftsmen are just better at hiding them when they do.  The dark edges to the stitch line look like you planned it that way from the start.  I really like the piercings around the rose in the circle too.

Fantastic work! 

The edges dyed to the stitch line look great, mistake or not. 

Stunning work, and love the dyed edges! Great craftsmanship 

Only advice I have is provide more photos!  This is a stunning piece of work and deserves closer observation!

YinTx

Well, it's a cool little accent I haven't seen before. Carry on with some more pics.

I agree, I would love to look at more pics. You have made a very sturdy and beautiful backpack. Great work, and thank you for posting it:rockon:

The only thing I can think of (advice), lose the VELCRO. I find it cheapens the hard work people put into their projects and never last remotely as long as your backpack will. Magnets, buckles, flaps, snaps, straps are all better and only adds a couple minutes to do.

Edited by DarkGoku
advice

The weather wasn't cooperating yesterday for photos, but I have a couple more...

20180121_165021~01.jpg

20180122_085625~01.jpg

Very nice! :)

The weather wasn't cooperating yesterday for photos, but I have a couple more...

20180114_162435~01.jpg

20180106_121347~01.jpg

20180115_161950~01.jpg

And my favorite tip I've picked up from this group... drawer liner to prevent distortion while tooling!

20180106_121347~01.jpg

Beautiful work, one question: has the deerskin part a drawstring or some such? I ask as it looks quite open at the top & an invite to pick pockets.

but this could be paranoia on my part from commuting in London :(

Yes, the main pouch has a drawcord with manual tensioner. It looks open here because I didn't have it cinched down.  And theft is the reason I put the hidden pocket in the back.

That is really beautiful. I just imagined myself walking down the street with such a dainty little backpack. 

Reminded myself of Shrek (not a good image).

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is really beautiful. I just imagined myself walking down the street with such a dainty little backpack. 

Reminded myself of Shrek (not a good image).

That's funny... I guess that nice grey hide I have means the next pack might have to be less dainty ;)

Great design and tooling. Very nice work.

That HAS TO BE one of the most singularly unique leather projects I've seen in a while on this forum. Absolutely stunning work...material selection, carving & stamping, dye work, etc...all of it is a pleasure to behold. Whoever ends up with that piece is getting heirloom quality work, for sure and for certain.

Any attempt on my part to proffer technical advice in the leatherworking arts to you, ma'am, would be like the drunk, out-of-tune yodeler trying to lead the cathedral choir. I will agree with Mutt and the others about the pics...more the better!...especially when such work is as good as your'n!

Thank you for sharing!

Gorgeous bag!

And yeah, I was going to comment about how open it is at the top, but someone else beat me to it. I have had stuff fall out of a bag I used to own with a similar design, due to the lack of a drawstring. But you foresaw that problem.

Stellar piece of work! The contrast between the deerskin and the dyed veg-tan is really eye-catching!

You guys are amazing, so positive!  That's not always been my experience with online forums!  More pics as requested...

20180123_184729~01~01.jpg

20180123_184814~01.jpg

20180123_184902~01~01.jpg

That is a lot of front to back depth. 

I like the concealed pocket.

Thanks for sharing so many more photos, it is certainly deserving.  Easy to see a whole lot of work went into that!  Neat design too, did you do the design work also, or is it modeled off of something?

YinTx

Thats amazing! Very beautiful!

That is gorgeous.  Use said the daubers tended to overdaub, although I think it looks great like that.  A little trick I learned is to take a wool dauber and light it.  Let it burn for a few seconds then use a paper towel and wipe off the burned part.  It comes clean and then makes a great edge dyer.  It will soak up the dye but when lightly pressed on your edges doesn't allow the edge to sink into the dauber and spread dye to the edges.